All Key Lost - 2009 Honda St1300

Hi. My local locksmiths can't assist with the coding.

How do I code a new key with the master key being lost?

Bike
2006 ST1300
is it a HISS key? or just plain cut key? If it is HISS ( chip embedded in head of key), I am not sure you can get a new key without changing the ECU. If it is a plain key, I am pretty sure you can pull the ignition key "barrel" and get a code for a new key. At least, that has worked on a few Hondas for me.....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had lost the only key I had to one of my bikes. A lock smith was able to cut a key from working with the lock.

Of course you have that HISS to deal with too, but that's the second problem! :oops:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Any competent locksmith should be able to 'take an impression' from the lock and cut a key. Again, finding said competency might be difficult - it will depend on the size of your city and the number of locksmiths. If you can pull the barrel of the lock, it makes the whole job much easier. This, of course, does not address the HISS problem.

STOC #
First post....First question....lets hope we are not instructing someone how to steal a bike :rofl1:
On that note, someone stole my scooter from a supermarket parking lot a few months ago. The police told me they have an 85% success rate recovering motorcycles and scooters in this city. Sure enough, I got it back a couple days later.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Competent Honda dealer should be able to cut key from VIN number.

Trouble is finding one.
Nope not possible. It’s not dealer’s fault either.

Couple decades ago, GM cut dealers off from manufacturer’s database giving key-codes assiociated with each VIN. Thieves were reading off VIN from car, giving it to their crooked friends working at dealers, who would then look up key-code to make replacement key. Then thief would use key to steal car. Shortly after that, Honda cut off all auto and moto dealers from that access as well.

Currently, no Honda dealer can cut key from VIN. It would be violation of their dealership agreement. And they have no way to access that data anyway.

If you have HISS; problem is even more complicated. Key’s RF-ID must match what ECU has stored internally. ONLY way to make duplicate key is by having original key with working ID chip. Physically copying ridges on key is easy. But ECU will only copy ID to new key when it has verified you’ve inserted original key with matching ID. Without at least one working key, there’s no way to program proper ID to a blank copy.

Only resort with HISS system is to buy new matching ECU + keys + locks set.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm leaning towards @Igofar's suggestion above.

There are two recent joiners - here and this thread. Both from South Africa, both reporting a bike that will not start, both seemingly having HISS issues, but difficult to be certain, both lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back to watch the show. In the first case replies were received but every attempt to get precise information information failed. It just wasn't forthcoming. This one hasn't replied yet. I know its Christmas but why ask on Christmas eve, if you have no intention of answering questions.

Anyone who has HISS will know how important it is to keep spare keys safe.

Apologies to both if I am being suspicious, but certain behaviours breed suspicion.

eg. The first thread said his bike started, but he only has a JMA key non-chipped and has not yet answered the question who started it and with what key, because the way it seems to be described isn't possible.
This thread, the OP hasn't responded at all, but was watching the thread last night.

STOC #
Nope not possible. It’s not dealer’s fault either.

Couple decades ago, GM cut dealers off from manufacturer’s database giving key-codes assiociated with each VIN.
Huh? I just retired from a GM dealership and dealerships are still able to access key codes and cut keys by VIN. There is a strict protocol involving the original, clean title with the person’s (that is requesting the key) name on the front of the title and keeping a file with copies of each event. A violation by a dealership of the protocol (such as aiding a repossession) can result in a suspension of that capacity.

Last edited:
Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Huh? I just retired from a GM dealership and dealerships are still able to access key codes and cut keys by VIN. There is a strict protocol involving the original, clean title with the person’s (that is requesting the key) name on the front of the title and keeping a file with copies of each event. A violation by a dealership of the protocol (such as aiding a repossession) can result in a suspension of that capacity.
Thanks for info! Good to know GM’s updated security and have this available again.

Anyone know about Honda dealerships? I’ve called every single Honda dealer everwhere I lived and they couldn’t do it: S.F. Bay Area, Santa Barbara, various Los Angeles area, Long Beach Island, Boston, Portland, Phoenix. Perhaps it’s easier to compile list of dealers that actually can.

Part of difficulties may be that many dealerships don’t even cut keys themselves, but outsource it to local locksmiths. In which case, locksmith definitely won’t have access to VIN DB. I’ve used this outfit numerous times to cut keys for my bikes using key-code found by disassembling ignition or helmet locks. Can get 2x brand-new keys for $21. :) But definitely nothing with RF-ID though.

Last edited:
Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I'm leaning towards @Igofar's suggestion above.

There are two recent joiners - here and this thread. Both from South Africa, both reporting a bike that will not start, both seemingly having HISS issues, but difficult to be certain, both lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back to watch the show. In the first case replies were received but every attempt to get precise information information failed. It just wasn't forthcoming. This one hasn't replied yet. I know its Christmas but why ask on Christmas eve, if you have no intention of answering questions.

Anyone who has HISS will know how important it is to keep spare keys safe.

Apologies to both if I am being suspicious, but certain behaviours breed suspicion.

eg. The first thread said his bike started, but he only has a JMA key non-chipped and has not yet answered the question who started it and with what key, because the way it seems to be described isn't possible.
This thread, the OP hasn't responded at all, but was watching the thread last night.
I think your caution is justified. I’ve avoided many threads on various forums about “Help, my bike won’t start with aftermarket igniton switch!” Since many modern bikes have more rudimentary than HISS security circuits that tells ECU whether power was applied via turning ignition switch vs. hot-wiring. Aftermarket ignition switches don’t have these security circuits.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
OK, stupid question (as my shared 1300 is in Colorado)- copying a key on a 2004 bike isn’t an issue and has no immobilizer, right? Meaning it’s not a chip key? I have no idea what HISS is.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I have no idea what HISS is.
Honda Ignition Security System
basically a small RFID part inside the plastic key handle and a circular transducer/antenna around the ignition lock barrel...
When you turn the ign ON the ECU "reads" the presence (or absence) of the (pre-programmed) RFID tingy to give a GO or NO-GO...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
OK, thanks- I guess they’re (the 1300s) all built that way? We (brother and I) only have one key (as far as I know) for the 04, so I guess I better have him make a copy.

Top Bottom