Alternative Moly Grease and Paste

Hi Guys

I have read a number of posts on the forum regarding what lubricant to use for the Drive Coupling Splines, and the scarcity thereof.

Here in UK it is even harder than US to find moly grease and paste with the minimum levels of MoS2 recommended by Honda, so I decided to look around for alternatives. Mobil 1 is not available.

Before I tell you what I have found, can I say that I recognise that a number of you will feel it is not worth damaging the bike in order to save few dollars/pounds. Anyway, this is what I have found in UK, on ebay.

1. Moly 3% Grease - made by Penrite

2. Moly 5% Grease - made by C Bennis - Seller confirmed the % of MoS2 in an email

3. Rocol 50% Paste - expensive -note it is NLG3 hardness not NLG2

4. Much cheaper alternative to Rocol, no specification other than a statement that it will do same job as Rocol:-

I ordered some of the latter and it looks fine.

The other thought I would like to leave you with, is a statement in the Haynes Service & Repair Manual, on page 6:30 under Installation, Section 13. "Apply some molybdenum Disulphide paste OR grease" suggesting they are interchangeable.

So it occured to me that maybe we are making too much fuss about the level of MoS2, considering Haynes have their own engineers. Perhaps these days, the lower levels of MoS2 in better quality greases/ pastes are sufficient to protect the splines

Your thoughts?

Paul

s-l500.jpg

no specification other than a statement that it will do same job as Rocol
It states in the ad that you linked to;
This product contains over 40% Molybdenum Disulphide

If you want the very product that Honda recommends in their ST1300 service manual, in small quantities of 100g, you can get it in the UK.
You don't have to buy a large tin that will most likely time expire before you ever use the majority of it. The smaller quantity keeps the price a little more reasonable while still knowing that you are using what Honda has specified.

See here for the information.

Hi Guys

I have read a number of posts on the forum regarding what lubricant to use for the Drive Coupling Splines, and the scarcity thereof.

Here in UK it is even harder than US to find moly grease and paste with the minimum levels of MoS2 recommended by Honda, so I decided to look around for alternatives. Mobil 1 is not available.

Before I tell you what I have found, can I say that I recognise that a number of you will feel it is not worth damaging the bike in order to save few dollars/pounds. Anyway, this is what I have found in UK, on ebay.

1. Moly 3% Grease - made by Penrite

2. Moly 5% Grease - made by C Bennis - Seller confirmed the % of MoS2 in an email

3. Rocol 50% Paste - expensive -note it is NLG3 hardness not NLG2

4. Much cheaper alternative to Rocol, no specification other than a statement that it will do same job as Rocol:-

I ordered some of the latter and it looks fine.

The other thought I would like to leave you with, is a statement in the Haynes Service & Repair Manual, on page 6:30 under Installation, Section 13. "Apply some molybdenum Disulphide paste OR grease" suggesting they are interchangeable.

So it occured to me that maybe we are making too much fuss about the level of MoS2, considering Haynes have their own engineers. Perhaps these days, the lower levels of MoS2 in better quality greases/ pastes are sufficient to protect the splines

Your thoughts?

Paul
I have used the Rocol paste for the last couple of years with no issues.

Most of these products have time expiry dates on them. If you intend to respect that date you will be throwing most of that large tin away not having used the vast majority of it. You will then have to buy another large tin and not use most of it either. If you don't care about the time expiry date than none of this matters.

Do you know what is in that tin? Is it a product that you have confidence in to protect your splines? After having used it for the next ten tire changes will your splines still be in good condition?
I haven't researched the product that you have purchased so I have absolutely no idea as to any of those answers. If you have done the research and have those answers and they are satisfactory to you than the there is no issue with that product.

My perspective would be that, for 12 pounds more, I would rather buy the smaller quantity of the actual product that has been recommended by Honda for years, and successfully used by many, and not have to worry about whether or not it meets the requirements.

My perspective would be that for, 12 pounds more, I would rather buy the smaller quantity of the actual product that has been recommended by Honda for years and not have to worry about whether or not it meets the requirements.

In Uk, Andrew, 175g of the Honda stuff is about 30GDP. I call that expensive

I agree- any quality product is expensive. I paid about the same price per gram as what you have mentioned is the cost for Rocol. I considered that, while being pricey, it is a lot cheaper than having a final drive failure due to using a product that can't meet the demands of the environment and having to replace the final drive.

You need to do the research to know if that product is suitable. If you know that the product that you have ordered meets the specifications called for, you have nothing to be concerned about.

OK so enough about the best makes but what about the above which no one has commented on?

For moly grease (not paste): Shell Gadus S3 V460XD (5%).

Had a similar thread about this recently:

I have an unopened tube of Moly 60 and one that is 3/4 full, so I'm OK for quite some time. That said, I'm always surprised that people are willing to buy the dead wrong or probably wrong product just to save a few bucks every 2 or 3 years. Take a close look at what the rear end costs to replace and you'll realize that "saving" money now is a false economy. Loctite 8012 seems to be an accepted alternative and there may be others.

I've never heard or read about anyone having any spline issues using Moly 60 or Loctite as long as the O rings are monitored/replaced as required, so really, why take the chance.

"Apply some molybdenum Disulphide paste OR grease"

I ignored this because it has no relevance to me. It is found in an aftermarket manual and not the Honda service manual. When I am servicing a Honda I don't care what GM says. When I am servicing a GM I don't care what Honda says, etc.. When an aftermarket manual differs from the manufacturer's manual, I will always defer to what the manufacturer's manual states absent of any evidence to the contrary.

We have determined in other threads, through research done by various members of this forum, that whether the product is referred to as a paste or a grease has very little significance with regard to what the product actually is. These terms are bandied about mostly as marketing terms. One manufacturer, who is one of the suppliers of MoS2 paste to Honda, replied exactly that in an email response. Neither term can be used as a reliable indication of the MoS2 content of the product.

The only thing that matters, whether the product in question is called a paste or a grease, is whether or not the product being selected meets the specifications called for by Honda for the intended use.

Andrew's last response should be the last post needed here.

Now, maybe the OP wants to ask about oil? :biggrin:

The only thing that matters, whether the product in question is called a paste or a grease, is whether or not the product being selected meets the specifications called for by Honda for the intended use.

I totally agree. However, Rocol is NLGI 3 and Loctite is NLGI 1. Honda recommend NLGI 2 and yet some members are content to use these. I accept that Rocol ASP is mentioned in the Honda Manual but I couldn't find the specs for this.

Now, maybe the OP wants to ask about oil? :biggrin:

I'll consider starting a new thread. Shame some members have to be sarcastic, particularly when a newbie asks a reasonable and researched topic.

Throwing some more in:

After all the experts have weighed in.................... Honda superseded Honda Moly 60 with Honda M-77. It's what they say will serve in this application.

Following on from John's table I found this on thelubricantstore.com:-

"We are all familiar with “EP 2” grease. This tells us two things, EP 2 grease is a NLGI Grade 2 and it is fortified with Extreme Pressure (EP) additives. This tells us nothing else about the thickener type, base oil type or viscosity of the base oil. The correct NLGI grade is an important consideration because not all grease applications are the same. Some grease applications require softer grease so it can be pumped easily through small distribution lines and valves. While other grease applications like bearings mounted on vertical shafts require firmer grease so the grease stays put. "

The only reason I raised the issue in the first place was to draw attention to new products on the market. Let's face it, my Honda Manual is nearly 20 years old and during that time there have been many technical improvements in automotive products. Science does not progress unless the scientists have an open mind. Who would have thought that perhaps the malaria vaccine might be successful in treating coronavirus.

Back
Top Bottom