Alternator core failure

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What should I do for the battery? its OEM ordered from Honda service. I won't be using it obviously for a little while. Any suggestions? Battery tender or just leave it in box until I get ready this spring?
As you said OEM I am assuming that it is a Yuasa AGM. Yuasa states the following;

Battery Maintenance & Storage

A battery only requires a little monthly maintenance to perform perfectly. Keep the battery charged to 100%, recharging when the lights dim, the starter sounds weak, or the battery hasn’t been used in more than two weeks. Follow the simple battery storage check list below once a month:

AGM Batteries
  • Check voltage every 3 months (or more frequently if stored at higher temperatures as high temperatures cause higher self-discharge rates)
  • Periodically:
    • Keep top of battery clean
    • Check cables, clamps, and case for obvious damage or loose connections
    • Clean terminals and connectors as necessary
  • Recharge battery if voltage is below 12.4V.
  • Once activated, the battery is permanently sealed and must never be opened. There is no need to add water to AGM batteries. Adding water to AGM batteries will result in irreparable damage to the battery or the vehicle.

Bike
2007 ST1300
As you said OEM I am assuming that it is a Yuasa AGM. Yuasa states the following;

Battery Maintenance & Storage

A battery only requires a little monthly maintenance to perform perfectly. Keep the battery charged to 100%, recharging when the lights dim, the starter sounds weak, or the battery hasn’t been used in more than two weeks. Follow the simple battery storage check list below once a month:

AGM Batteries
  • Check voltage every 3 months (or more frequently if stored at higher temperatures as high temperatures cause higher self-discharge rates)
  • Periodically:
    • Keep top of battery clean
    • Check cables, clamps, and case for obvious damage or loose connections
    • Clean terminals and connectors as necessary
  • Recharge battery if voltage is below 12.4V.
  • Once activated, the battery is permanently sealed and must never be opened. There is no need to add water to AGM batteries. Adding water to AGM batteries will result in irreparable damage to the battery or the vehicle.
Yes but it is still in the box right now. should I take it out and put it on a charger? What if Honda did not sell me the battery? it would still be on the warehouse shelf right?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yes but it is still in the box right now. should I take it out and put it on a charger? What if Honda did not sell me the battery? it would still be on the warehouse shelf right?
Batteries that are kept in storage in a retailer's warehouse beyond a time threshold specified by by the manufacturer are supposed to be maintained in the same manner. Whether or nor that ever happens is another story. I would put it on a smart charger to ensure that it is charged as closely as it will get to 100% and then follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Batteries that are kept in storage in a retailer's warehouse beyond a time threshold specified by by the manufacturer are supposed to be maintained in the same manner. Whether or nor that ever happens is another story. I would put it on a smart charger to ensure that it is charged as closely as it will get to 100% and then follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Got it, thanks will check the voltage here shortly and see what it is.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Here is the pics I took of the new OEM battery with voltage meter readings. Do you think I should just put the battery tender on it?IMG_3131.JPGIMG_3132.JPGIMG_3136.JPG

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I would put a smart charger on it until the smart charger reports that it has reached full charge. Then it would be better if you could find a cool place to store it. A cool place being below 60 deg. F such as a basement or a garage where the heat is kept set low. Then follow the manufacturer's recommendations until you install it in the bike.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would be looking for some dead bodies in that muck! :rofl1:

Looks like you have a handle on it! :thumb:

Bike
2007 ST1300
I would put a smart charger on it until the smart charger reports that it has reached full charge. Then it would be better if you could find a cool place to store it. A cool place being below 60 deg. F such as a basement or a garage where the heat is kept set low. Then follow the manufacturer's recommendations until you install it in the bike.
I put it on a battery tender junior at 750 mili-amps and it charged and is now on green light.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Note: I have yet to find a replacement o-ring for the oil cooler (outer ring - Never have seen one in the diagrams? :think1:) Anyone else find one?)
I see what you mean, the service manual calls for a "new" O-ring upon reassembly but the part fiche does not show one, odd....

Bike
2007 ST1300
id agree. Mine has one in there too. I didn't know if it was new or old (i bought the bike used).
My wife said before I started to tear the bike apart in the garage that our cat has been getting up around the gas tank and acting funny like there was a mouse in there.???

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
What do you guys recommend for a thread sealant for the engine oil pressure switch threads when I put it back in the block
I think that any RTV (room temperature vulcanization) sealant that is rated for high temperatures and exposure to oil would be suitable. Do read the "fine print" on the instructions - many of these sealants suggest that you tighten the object only finger-tight, wait one hour, and then tighten the object to final torque after one hour. This ensures that excessive amounts of sealant are not squeezed out of the assembly.

Michael

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Note: I have yet to find a replacement o-ring for the oil cooler (outer ring - Never have seen one in the diagrams? :think1:) Anyone else find one?)
I didn't find a listing but do you have one that you could measure? Is it around 62 mm in diameter? If so two oil cooler o-rings that are used on many Honda motorcycles are P/N 91316-PE7-730 and 91354-MCT-003. They don't show as fitment for ST1300 but that might just be because this o-ring is not listed in the ST1300 parts fiche so it doesn't cross reference. Might get lucky and one might fit.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I see what you mean, the service manual calls for a "new" O-ring upon reassembly but the part fiche does not show one, odd....
I wouldn't worry about removing the oil cooler as the hoses are easily changed without disturbing the oil cooler. A part of 45 or 90 needle nose pliers are essential and come from the underside.

Top Bottom