AMA Announces America’s 15 Best Motorcycling Roads

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
#12, Rt 33 is mine. I've ridden it all the way from Richmond to the Gateway restaurant in Judy Gap. 167 miles, 3:45 time plus stops.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Wondering what's so special about Ohio 170. I've been on lot's of Ohio roads, maybe even that one. But from looking at Google Maps it sure doesn't seem to belong anywhere near that list.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
I've ridden 8 of them, including the top 4. Can't believe I haven't ridden #14 in Ohio since I'm so close, it's on my list for this year. Supposedly really nice sweepers on this route just out of Calcutta, OH.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
all the western ones except WA129, none of the eastern ones.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Can't believe Utah 12 is not on that list! I've done all the ones in the west at least once. Gotta get to the east and do some of those one day.
Agreed, that is one great road, especially the hogback section a few miles south of Boulder, UT. Like any list there will always be some roads missing... CO141 south of Gateway and CO149 North of Crede are two I can think of.

Bike
2005 st1300
Natchez Trace is intriguing. I feel I need to see it as it doesn't look like much on a map, but it always ranks high in these lists. Curious...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Natchez Trace is intriguing. I feel I need to see it as it doesn't look like much on a map, but it always ranks high in these lists. Curious...
It's relatively slow, but very beautiful and relaxing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
9 Hours top to bottom if you don't stop for lunch.
Top 40 or so miles are pretty twisty but low speed limit (40 mph - Federal ticket), 50 mph on the rest of it.
It is a very peaceful road to ride as no commercial traffic is allowed.
Lots of historical sites to visit (like the Meriwether Lewis death/gravesite of Lewis and Clark fame).
Done it a bunch of times and plan on doing it again on my way to RanchSToc.
As my two Brit friends who came over to ride said -
"Do you realize that we've ridden about the same distance as London to Edinburgh and have only seen maybe 5 automobiles all day?"
The verges are well maintained and nice wooded isolation from the surrounding areas.
Imagine a two lane highway with very little traffic that stretches out for over 400 miles.
Not the place to be in a hurry and no reason to be in a hurry.
The north entrance is about 10 miles from my house.
My house was the north terminus ranger station for a long time (I had to moved to my property and refurbed it when they built the new 'entrance').
Some preview of it here -

Uncle Phil - CB 1220

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Wondering what's so special about Ohio 170. I've been on lot's of Ohio roads, maybe even that one. But from looking at Google Maps it sure doesn't seem to belong anywhere near that list.
Agree, there are some great roads in SE Ohio and I am wondering how this one is better than those. I need to Pat to weigh in (SiRepair)

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Did the Trace in the motorhome. Spent the night at the Flyn’ J near the Nashville beginning. I remember that place because I parked too close to the gas pumps. They played the most dreadful music all night long.

Bike
2005 st1300
It's relatively slow, but very beautiful and relaxing.
9 Hours top to bottom if you don't stop for lunch.
Top 40 or so miles are pretty twisty but low speed limit (40 mph - Federal ticket), 50 mph on the rest of it.
It is a very peaceful road to ride as no commercial traffic is allowed.
Lots of historical sites to visit (like the Meriwether Lewis death/gravesite of Lewis and Clark fame).
Done it a bunch of times and plan on doing it again on my way to RanchSToc.
As my two Brit friends who came over to ride said -
"Do you realize that we've ridden about the same distance as London to Edinburgh and have only seen maybe 5 automobiles all day?"
The verges are well maintained and nice wooded isolation from the surrounding areas.
Imagine a two lane highway with very little traffic that stretches out for over 400 miles.
Not the place to be in a hurry and no reason to be in a hurry.
The north entrance is about 10 miles from my house.
My house was the north terminus ranger station for a long time (I had to moved to my property and refurbed it when they built the new 'entrance').
Some preview of it here -

Uncle Phil - CB 1220
I am going to make it a point to try this.
Phil, you mention a "federal ticket". I was cautioned of this about the BRP once but didnt get the scoop. What is the deal with a federal ticket? I have never heard of this. I am assuming higher than a state or municipal ticket.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Phil, you mention a "federal ticket". I was cautioned of this about the BRP once but didnt get the scoop. What is the deal with a federal ticket? I have never heard of this. I am assuming higher than a state or municipal ticket.
If you're in a National Park, you can't evade the ticket as some do in a state, by simply not returning to that state. Imagine your residence in Alabama, and you get a traffic ticket in North Carolina - (can't speak to how Canucks do it) - you won't be in trouble in your home state, and NoCar isn't going to send a trooper or a sheriff to issue you an arrest warrant. However, IF you ignore it and later are stopped again in NoCar, they can hammer you with arrest, fines, maybe jail, and who-knows-what-all.
Meanwhile, a "national" violation, as issued while you're in a National Park... doesn't matter which U.S. state you're in, or in which state you call home...
A violation notice or "ticket" may be issued by a federal law enforcement officer for violations of certain federal laws and, if occurring on federal property, certain state laws. Violations include improper parking, illegal camping, speeding, civil disturbances, fish and wildlife infractions, and other offenses.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I had a lot of fun on and around the Back of the Dragon in VA on my first organized weekend ride with guys in the Nighthawk Forums. Zoom in and drag the map around along this pathway:

Top Bottom