AMA Announces America’s 15 Best Motorcycling Roads

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Ridden 8 of them.
Guessing the Trace is on there for all the HD riders in the AMA membership. It's a nice road, (if loping along at 40mph trips your trigger,) with no commercial trucks....but really not much scenery or anything else of interest.
Certainly not on the level of the others on the list that I've ridden.....and could/should be replaced by many others that I've been on.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am going to make it a point to try this.
Phil, you mention a "federal ticket". I was cautioned of this about the BRP once but didnt get the scoop. What is the deal with a federal ticket? I have never heard of this. I am assuming higher than a state or municipal ticket.
Going to where the 'hearing' goes on and the cost.

Bike
2005 st1300
If you're in a National Park, you can't evade the ticket as some do in a state, by simply not returning to that state. Imagine your residence in Alabama, and you get a traffic ticket in North Carolina - (can't speak to how Canucks do it) - you won't be in trouble in your home state, and NoCar isn't going to send a trooper or a sheriff to issue you an arrest warrant. However, IF you ignore it and later are stopped again in NoCar, they can hammer you with arrest, fines, maybe jail, and who-knows-what-all.
Meanwhile, a "national" violation, as issued while you're in a National Park... doesn't matter which U.S. state you're in, or in which state you call home...
A violation notice or "ticket" may be issued by a federal law enforcement officer for violations of certain federal laws and, if occurring on federal property, certain state laws. Violations include improper parking, illegal camping, speeding, civil disturbances, fish and wildlife infractions, and other offenses.
Going to where the 'hearing' goes on and the cost.
I see. Good to know. Thanks

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guessing the Trace is on there for all the HD riders in the AMA membership. It's a nice road, (if loping along at 40mph trips your trigger,) with no commercial trucks....but really not much scenery or anything else of interest.
That's funny - I can't seem to find a HD sticker anywhere on my ST1100s. :biggrin:
As for 'things of interest', it depends on what interests you and I happen to like history and the Trace has lots of that along the way.
And it is 50 mph once you get past Leiper's Fork which means you can do 55 easy enough ... ;)
The point is I can take on as good roads as you can want all day long in Tennessee - and have done it - and none of the roads will 'show up' on anybody's list and hope they never do. :biggrin:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Imagine your residence in Alabama, and you get a traffic ticket in North Carolina - (can't speak to how Canucks do it) - you won't be in trouble in your home state, and NoCar isn't going to send a trooper or a sheriff to issue you an arrest warrant.
Those were the good old days, the times have changed, google Non-Resident Violator Compact. 44 states are members, including Alabama and NC.

"When a motorist is cited in another member state and chooses not to respond to the ticket (such as not paying it), the other state notifies the driver's home state and the home state will suspend the driver's license until the driver takes care of the matter in the other state."

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Those were the good old days, the times have changed, google Non-Resident Violator Compact. 44 states are members, including Alabama and NC.
Well, darn.
Thanks for the correction - I'm always open to the Truth. Even when I'm disappointed.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Ye, it's the like Skyway - it used to a lot higher and a lot more fun without being so far over the limit as to get a reckless driving ticket.
I'll confess this is the MAIN reason I haven't been excited to ride either.
If I wanna go slow, I'll take a car.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
"When a motorist is cited in another member state and chooses not to respond to the ticket (such as not paying it), the other state notifies the driver's home state and the home state will suspend the driver's license until the driver takes care of the matter in the other state."
I hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've done 12 of the 15. Missing 4, 8, and 10

Also

Ridden all of the Dragons... Tail, Back and Claw etc
Ridden all the Snakes and Serpents I could find in Va, W Va, North Carolina, Kentucky, Washington/ Oregon
Ridden Natchez Trace beginning to end and back
Ridden Smugglers Notch Vt
Ridden Kancamagus Hwy New Hampshire
Ridden US 1 Fla to Keys
Ridden Rt 66 from St Louis to California
Ridden Chief Joesph Pass
Ridden Pikes Peak
Ridden to Bonneville Salt Flats
Ridden lots of Colorado passes
Ridden several passes in Sierra Nevada's
Ridden thru many of the National Parks on this country
Ridden Tunnel of Trees in Michigan

Lots of awesome riding in this country.

I still have a few states I want to ride to ... north and south Dakota and 4 on the east coast to complete my lower 48.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
9 Hours top to bottom if you don't stop for lunch.
Top 40 or so miles are pretty twisty but low speed limit (40 mph - Federal ticket), 50 mph on the rest of it.
It is a very peaceful road to ride as no commercial traffic is allowed.
Lots of historical sites to visit (like the Meriwether Lewis death/gravesite of Lewis and Clark fame).
Done it a bunch of times and plan on doing it again on my way to RanchSToc.
As my two Brit friends who came over to ride said -
"Do you realize that we've ridden about the same distance as London to Edinburgh and have only seen maybe 5 automobiles all day?"
The verges are well maintained and nice wooded isolation from the surrounding areas.
Imagine a two lane highway with very little traffic that stretches out for over 400 miles.
Not the place to be in a hurry and no reason to be in a hurry.
The north entrance is about 10 miles from my house.
My house was the north terminus ranger station for a long time (I had to moved to my property and refurbed it when they built the new 'entrance').
Some preview of it here -

Uncle Phil - CB 1220
So if I plan a trip to ride the Trace, I can stop and see you? That would be awesome!
I have planned the trip a few times but never actually set out.
  • A days ride from house to beginning of Trace - overnight there and say Hi to Uncle Phil!
  • Next day ride the Trace - overnight in Natchez
  • Next Day reverse and say bye to Uncle Phil.
  • Next Day ride home.
I must get planning a vacation to accomplish this. I loved your write up and photos - especially the chocolate cake!​
John​

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So if I plan a trip to ride the Trace, I can stop and see you? That would be awesome!
John - If I am in town and I get my bathroom 'refinished' by then, you could spend the night at the Holler coming and going.
I'd just need a few day's notice beforehand.
And depending on my schedule, I'll ride a ways down with you if I can.
You might also think about spending a whole day in Natchez if you are interested in history - lots of it there to see.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
John - If I am in town and I get my bathroom 'refinished' by then, you could spend the night at the Holler coming and going.
I'd just need a few day's notice beforehand.
And depending on my schedule, I'll ride a ways down with you if I can.
You might also think about spending a whole day in Natchez if you are interested in history - lots of it there to see.
Oh yes! This history is what I am going for. I even considered a bicycling trip down the Trace too but that is organized and I want to stop when I want, take pictures, read historical markers, etc.
I might even spend the night in Kosciusko just for the fun of it!

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Agree, there are some great roads in SE Ohio and I am wondering how this one is better than those. I need to Pat to weigh in (SiRepair)
Agree with that, there probably are 10 roads in the SE corner that would qualify. Especially 555, 78, 26, 800, 145..... I'm missing some, but darn near anything between Athens and Marietta is worth taking a look.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I am actually surprised that I have done 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 & 9. Like others I am surprised about Utah Hwy 12. But there are a lot of good roads that aren't on the list as well.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Agree with that, there probably are 10 roads in the SE corner that would qualify. Especially 555, 78, 26, 800, 145..... I'm missing some, but darn near anything between Athens and Marietta is worth taking a look.
There was a few that @sirepair took us on last Fall that were amazing right around Portsmouth.

Top Bottom