AMA Announces America’s 15 Best Motorcycling Roads

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Annette and I have done 4, and plan on hitting several more next year. Never done Ohio 170, but will have to go check it out.

Not sure how 250 in WVA didn't make that list, that is an outstanding road!

Agree, there are some great roads in SE Ohio and I am wondering how this one is better than those. I need to Pat to weigh in (SiRepair)
Agree with that, there probably are 10 roads in the SE corner that would qualify. Especially 555, 78, 26, 800, 145..... I'm missing some, but darn near anything between Athens and Marietta is worth taking a look.
There was a few that @sirepair took us on last Fall that were amazing right around Portsmouth.
I fine with many of my "favorites" NOT making the list! Keeps out the riff-raff!! But yes, SE Ohio/NE Kentucky/WVA are chock full of outstanding routes!

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
7 for me and trusty pillion 1,4,5,6,8,9,15, all travelled on our ST1300, I've impressed myself, didn't know we were so well travelled. I have a few on my gopro, here's a trike we caught taking air on the Beartoothe, the road has subsided over the winter, several camera crews where camped out at the switchback ahead filming the action, think I got the best shot!
GOPR0604 - CopyTrimTrim (2)_Moment.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300
Evening gents, further to Sadlsor's comments about tickets in Canada, most provinces have reciprocity with neighboring provinces with regards to moving violations on provincial roads. Not so much for municipal tickets like parking etc. Ontario also has an arrangement with both New York and Michigan states regarding moving violations. If I get a speeding ticket in New York, it shows up against my Ontario driving license and I get demerit points. If I don't pay the fine, it will eventually show up on my vehicle license renewal and I won't be able to get a new tag. Ride safe, those of you who can. Hopefully we'll be on the road by April

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
So far it sounds like no one person here has done all of the roads on this list.
I am surprised by that with this group.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Same list as the year before I think and . . . they're still all worth riding.

Why aren't those other great roads we ride on the list? I'm guessing the reason is that most of the magazine subscribers that voted don't get out and explore as much as most of us here. Just a guess. I'll add US Hwy 191 (formerly US 666) to our in-house list.

I second what several have noted already, it's a good thing that lots of other great roads are NOT on the list!

:)

Shuey

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Same list as the year before I think and . . . they're still all worth riding.

Why aren't those other great roads we ride on the list? I'm guessing the reason is that most of the magazine subscribers that voted don't get out and explore as much as most of us here. Just a guess. I'll add US Hwy 191 (formerly US 666) to our in-house list.

I second what several have noted already, it's a good thing that lots of other great roads are NOT on the list!

:)

Shuey
yeah, making a list of 15 is quite subjective, there's hundreds of amazing roads out there and suggesting one is 'better' than the other is somewhat random.

666 is certainly one that might qualify for the list because you traverse several climate zones between the southern 2000ft start and the climb to 9000ft. Other roads have similar elevation gains, but that one has more noticeable scenery changes due to the climate zones. CA108 across the Sierra is one of my favorites, and could also qualify. Given the choice between it and Angeles Crest, I'd take 108. And, all the Sierra pass roads are great, surprised that none of them made the list. And CA58 has some decent twisties in that particular section, but not much scenery, so that one has me shaking my head as to why it was chosen and so many other great CA roads were not. The part on either end of the twisty section is boring as well, so I rarely take that road.

Last edited:

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I have ridden ten of them on my ST's 15-13-10-9-8-6-5-4-2-&-1. Ebbits and Sonora passes in the ca. Sierra Nevada mountains are world class passes and I have ridden in the Alps, they should be on the list. My favorite local Northern Ca. road is hwy. 36, although Caltrans has spent the last three years straightening out the "one lane" section.

Ed

Rode them all except #10 and #14 if my memory serves me correctly and I've been on part of #14.
Hi Phil, Tom Norton here. Just went through your last trip of 8 days fighting the covid-19 blues! Really enjoyed your pix and the storylines.
I ride a 2005 ST1300 and live in Murfreesboro. I'm an MK and have served as a pastor, teacher and now a part-time director of a mission to Haiti. Would love to go riding with you one of these days.
When I graduated from high school in Tokyo in 1973, I rode my 450 Honda from Oakland, CA to Pontiac, MI in 4 days and one night. I had it shipped from Japan to Home of Peace, a place missionaries would stay before leaving for the field or heading back out to the field, back when we traveled by ship.
Rode that bike all through college and sold it for $50 more than I paid for it back in Japan!
Shalom, Tom
tnortoncic@gmail.com

Bike
Yamaha FJ-09
Only the Natchez Trace for me. I'm a history buff so I really enjoyed it. My wife was riding too and the pace suited her.

I'm a working man so I rarely get enough time to travel. Most of those on the list are at least two days away so I mostly just ride Arkansas. Arkansas probably has twenty excellent roads so it never gets boring.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Can't believe Utah 12 is not on that list! I've done all the ones in the west at least once. Gotta get to the east and do some of those one day.

Shhhhh! Don't want Utah 12 to turn into a western BRP with 35 MPH speed limits and too much traffic! I agree about getting east - not sure it will happen for me...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Shhhhh! Don't want Utah 12 to turn into a western BRP with 35 MPH speed limits and too much traffic! I agree about getting east - not sure it will happen for me...
ah... UT 12!.... Love it!

P9280099.jpg

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have been on 9 of the 15, but as others have said, the list (IMHO) is lacking/incorrect. Lots of better roads not listed (again IMO), but others in the same area are. I suppose it is like all "best" lists, be it gear, tires, bikes, etc., it is what is "best" and is only the opinion of the author and may be limited to personal experience.

Top Bottom