And So It Begins

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I've read all I can find about Darkside, talked to those in the know and finally decided to do the deed. I've read all the warnings concerning flames, lightening, and divine wrath if I continue my fools quest.

What I didn't expect was flak from the Brown Truck Driver. I wasn't home when the tires arrived, however the driver grilled the wife concerning my intent with one motorcycle tire (BT) and one car tire (Hankook). The wife mumbled something about some better mileage experiment, and feigned ignorance which seemed to placate the driver.

I choose to think it was idle curiosity rather than seep down from the Nanny State. <grin>

And So It Begins-Small.jpg

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
First couple of hundred miles will be a little different, after that it is all easy peasy and no tire changes for awhile. :)

Never home when my deliveries arrived.. but I don't think I have seen any more surveillance activity at the house than the normal.

Welcome to :ds1:

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I have to admit I'm interested in the milage aspect of this.
My main question is how does the bike feel in the lean? I have to assume the traction patch goes from great to not-so-great, how is the grip of the tire? I like the lean and have no issues scrapping my pegs with my Conti Road Attack 2's on her and run the same set on my 919 which also scraps pegs on occation.
So, is this a no-no for the more spirited rides?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have said this to many but here goes again. It all depends on the tire and it's sticky performance level, I have the Hankook V12 which for me sticks like glue in all weather. The only issue which is minor, is riding at parking lot speeds, the wider car tire tends "stand up" with uneven surfaces. It is no problem for me but it will get your attention in the beginning. Another difference I find on my bike is at speeds of over @ 110 mph, I get a vibration that tends to get worse the faster I go, under that speed it handles great. I know how it handles with the Hankook V12 and know what to expect. The comfort of NOT worrying about it evaporating on a major road trip is why I am a darksider--of course the chicks dig it. :D

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I've read all I can find about Darkside, talked to those in the know and finally decided to do the deed. I've read all the warnings concerning flames, lightening, and divine wrath if I continue my fools quest.

What I didn't expect was flak from the Brown Truck Driver. I wasn't home when the tires arrived, however the driver grilled the wife concerning my intent with one motorcycle tire (BT) and one car tire (Hankook). The wife mumbled something about some better mileage experiment, and feigned ignorance which seemed to placate the driver.

I choose to think it was idle curiosity rather than seep down from the Nanny State. <grin>

And So It Begins-Small.jpg
Woohoo! :hat1:
Welcome to the Darkside!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
At any speeds and uneven surface the car tire will track different then a bike tire. But it can definitely handle and corner. Just did the Civilian Police Motorcycle Training in Minnesota and had no problem d ing 13' offset cones, keyhole, iron-cross or the snowman. Bike turns and handles just fine. Yes, it's a different feel, but you learn it and adjust.

For high speed cornering the tires will still stick. I wasn't scraping pegs on the mountain runs like my partners this last weekend, but it wasn't the tires fault. I have leaned it enough to scrape pegs before and never felt like the tire was about to bust loose. Never felt a squiggle in the rain, but kept it under the triple digits.

Put over 15k on the bike this year, getting plans to do another 5k trip to WeSToc. One thing not on my agenda... worrying about my tire lasting.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've read all I can find about Darkside, talked to those in the know and finally decided to do the deed...and one car tire (Hankook).
Is that a "Z" speed rated tire? No such info that I could see on the tire label in the picture? Limit max ground speed in accordance with the tire speed rating. Having the tire come apart at high speed would not be a pretty sight to see.

I assume you are looking for strictly highway tire life and low tire cost in going this route - is that correct?

See my PM/e-mail, too.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
it is a ZR rating (it can be seen in the pic) and having any tire come apart at any speed would suck.

OP
OP
Zonker

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Is that a "Z" speed rated tire? No such info that I could see on the tire label in the picture? Limit max ground speed in accordance with the tire speed rating. Having the tire come apart at high speed would not be a pretty sight to see.

I assume you are looking for strictly highway tire life and low tire cost in going this route - is that correct?

See my PM/e-mail, too.
FYI -- This is a cut/pasted the chart from a tire dealer's site and used wikipedia and decipher the speed and load ratings.

As I've had my bike triple digits exactly twice, once passing and once just cuz and never 120, I anticipate that the Y rating will suffice. =)

Brand: HANKOOK
Part #: 1008166
Size: 205/50-17
Speed Rating: Y (186 mph)
(300 kph)
Type: MAX PERORMANCE SUMMER
Load Index: 93 (1430 lbs - 650kg)
Load Range:
Sidewall: BW
UTQG: 280AAA

The Bridgestone is only an H rated tire which = 130 MPH, which is my mistake as I should have opted for the V instead of H rating. However, I'm relatively sure my bike won't exceed that speed with my fat arse attached, so all should be well.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
However the Bridgestone is only an H rated tire which = 130 MPH. So as I'm sure my bike won't exceed that speed with my fat arse attached, all should be well.
And consider that the speed rating is a measurement of extended running. Even if you want and push to hit over 130mph, you probably won't keep it there for long.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I find on my bike is at speeds of over @ 110 mph, I get a vibration that tends to get worse the faster I go
I use Counteract balancing beads and never have any vibration at any speed. Last tire change I just spread them on a paper towel and rubbed them with brake clean and put them back in.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I use Counteract balancing beads and never have any vibration at any speed. Last tire change I just spread them on a paper towel and rubbed them with brake clean and put them back in.
I use Dynabeads and still have the problem---next tire change I am putting wheel assembly on a balancer and marking my heavy spot, then line up tire dot with mark.

Top Bottom