And So It Begins

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
It may not be a balance problem then but depending on the age of the tyre could be a function of the tread pattern producing a vibration from the tread blocks on the road surface... it would be lessened with wear as the blocks get shorter/smaller???

This could also be working in conjunction with the suspension set up to produce a harmonic vibration imbalance related to the interaction of the tyre and the suspension.
Dynabeads, tyre weights, Counteract, none of these will cure it if it is too large an oscillation.....well, not with normal amounts of beads anyway... weights will never cure it as the vibration occurs well outside the speed envelope of any balancer.....

This is theory, not fact..... difficult to prove without vibration analyser.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
It may not be a balance problem then but depending on the age of the tyre could be a function of the tread pattern producing a vibration from the tread blocks on the road surface... it would be lessened with wear as the blocks get shorter/smaller???

This could also be working in conjunction with the suspension set up to produce a harmonic vibration imbalance related to the interaction of the tyre and the suspension.
Dynabeads, tyre weights, Counteract, none of these will cure it if it is too large an oscillation.....well, not with normal amounts of beads anyway... weights will never cure it as the vibration occurs well outside the speed envelope of any balancer.....

This is theory, not fact..... difficult to prove without vibration analyser.
As a helicopter tech and trained balance and vibe guy, I totally understand everything you say here. As I mentioned previously, the problem does not begin until I reach @ 110 mph and that was when I first installed the tire and put it through the speed test. I have no need to exceed 110 mph so I have not checked it since, going to do that today and get back here with results.
Of course this speed test will be done at proper testing facility with professional testing equipment :attentio: (don't try this at home kids)

Last edited:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Hey most people look at me strange like... when I start talking vibrations and harmonics....

As an ex rotary wing tech I used to be involved in post in-flight vibro analysis and battery weight assessment for smoothing the vibro on the airframe....

Also rotor blade tracking using in cockpit strobe with reflective numbers on the blade tips....

Glad somebody is on the same "wavelength".... (sic)

I also worked as a vibration systems engineer as my first job out of the Navy!

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Hey most people look at me strange like... when I start talking vibrations and harmonics....

As an ex rotary wing tech I used to be involved in post in-flight vibro analysis and battery weight assessment for smoothing the vibro on the airframe....

Also rotor blade tracking using in cockpit strobe with reflective numbers on the blade tips....
Glad somebody is on the same "wavelength".... (sic)

I also worked as a vibration systems engineer as my first job out of the Navy!
sounds like "good vibes" :plane1: I just got back from a nice morning ride here in central Louisiana and the temps are freaky good (started out at 64F 0730 and was 70F on return 0900)
The high speed test run (I did two to make sure) 135 mph revealed no vibration or imbalance, the acceleration and deceleration was smooth. I am convinced you were correct in believing the new tire had an effect on balance. I installed the Hankook V12 @ 6000 miles ago.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
All good stuff.....

May the Force be with you..... (m x a)....

An ST has a lot of "force".....

Bike
2004 -ST1300
STOC #
Is this the best tire to start with 205/50ZR17 XL 93Y Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - it is on sale at Tire Rack for $59. In Canada it is listed at $156 at Canadian Tire

OP
OP
Zonker

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
So, I finally got around to getting my Hankook and BT mounted the day before Swim-STOC. On my way up to meet NashCat, I realized just how smooth the combo was. I noticed that the EFI Snatch was lessened? I did noticed that the rolling resistance was greater as the bike slows faster with the throttle is rolled off. I haven't checked the mileage yet. The ride seem much smoother and I have no complaints with the feel in twisties, slabs, or rain soaked roads.

However, there was one drawback.

..View attachment 156499

Attachments

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
So you did all this work and your bike just takes a nap?

That's not fair.

Like what the heck happened. I'm guessing you are ok.

OP
OP
Zonker

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
So you did all this work and your bike just takes a nap?

That's not fair.

Like what the heck happened. I'm guessing you are ok.
No--No--No--- All is well. I botched posting that picture, and I've been having a problem posting or sending msgs the last two days, not sure whats up. Probably failing my finger check ..... Sorry to mislead anyone.

The whole darkside adventure has been excellent and with no disadvantages that I've discovered. Save the dire warning about twisted metal and burning plastic via the wrath of heavens because I dare to run bias and radial, ct and mt, etc etc. ;)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
I've now experienced over 30,000 miles with my Hankook tires and nary a problem except a road hazard blow out at 55 MPH and that turned out to be a non-event. Highest speed so far was a brief touch to about 135 - don't know exactly how fast I was, my eyes went to tunnel vision when my helmet started to lift and tug the straps!

OP
OP
Zonker

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I've now experienced over 30,000 miles with my Hankook tires and nary a problem except a road hazard blow out at 55 MPH and that turned out to be a non-event. Highest speed so far was a brief touch to about 135 - don't know exactly how fast I was, my eyes went to tunnel vision when my helmet started to lift and tug the straps!
I've yet to get mine that fast dark-sided, .. yet.. How many miles do you average on your Hankooks?

Bike
ST1300
The first one got to about 13,200 miles when it experienced a severe puncture. It still looked brand new. Took it back to the vendor and they thought it looked as if it had less than 5,000 miles of wear from a small car. I just nodded my head, "Yup, that sounds about right!" I'm running pressures about 28 PSI on the replacement and it seems to be wearing faster than the first, which I usually ran about 34-36 PSI. My shock needs to be refurbished and I think that is more the reason for faster wear than the first rather than difference in pressure. I suspect it will run another 10,000 miles before I change it out. Bike is a 2006 and currently has 68,000 on it.

When I made the decision to go darkside I weighed all of the anecdotal evidence and considered that my riding style is far more to the "Touring" than the "Sport" experience and that I should be okay. Had the opportunity to talk with a Dunlop factory rep about a year ago and at first he gave me the expected spiel about how the C/T is NOT designed to run on that rim, won't give the performance, etc. etc. etc. When I told him that I had been getting 14-15000 miles from the RoadSmart he just lowered his voice and said - well, obviously you are not pushing the tire that hard and it should be okay. Then he told me to forget who he was.... and like the tire itself, "That works for me!"

OP
OP
Zonker

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I've let this lay dormant for four years, after the onslaught of dire predictions and condescending warnings about smoldering wrecks. I walked away for a bit and lurked. I'd like to thank you all, somewhat belated, for the support and encouragement.

So, anyway, it's been 4 years since I went Darkside. I've got a bit over 24K on the tires. I will replace them after I return from a Tennessee to Texas run later this week. The Hankook is just shy of showing wear bars and the BT (mounted backwards) is a bit spooned (*scalloped).

I have ridden many crazy twisties at stupid speed and 7 long distance interstate rides. Once I was pacing traffic returning from East Tennessee in a torrential rain then realized I was crusing at 90+, I puckered a bit and SLOWED DOWN. However there was no hydro-planing or difficulties what so ever. Yes they ride a bit different in the begining, but it wasn't a hard learning curve.

My experience has been that the dire predictions of smoldering wreckage due to tire failure etc, were wrong. Not saying I won't do something stupid, however if I crash/burn it won't be because my Darkside proclivity.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I've read all I can find about Darkside, talked to those in the know and finally decided to do the deed. I've read all the warnings concerning flames, lightening, and divine wrath if I continue my fools quest.

What I didn't expect was flak from the Brown Truck Driver. I wasn't home when the tires arrived, however the driver grilled the wife concerning my intent with one motorcycle tire (BT) and one car tire (Hankook). The wife mumbled something about some better mileage experiment, and feigned ignorance which seemed to placate the driver.

I choose to think it was idle curiosity rather than seep down from the Nanny State. <grin>

And So It Begins-Small.jpg
I guess if you ride in straight lines all day its ok.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use Counteract balancing beads and never have any vibration at any speed. Last tire change I just spread them on a paper towel and rubbed them with brake clean and put them back in.
How many ounces are you putting in? I've been using 4oz.

BTW, if you plug a tire using the beads for balancing, you'll have "maybe" 2,000 miles before re-plugging it! DAMHIK!

OP
OP
Zonker

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I guess if you ride in straight lines all day its ok.
I'm guessing you missed this part . . . "I have ridden many crazy twisties at stupid speed and 7 long distance interstate rides.

I can assure you there are no more, "Hey Yall, Lokie Here" moments. I may not ride as crazy as I did four decades ago, however I hold my own when the need arises. I gave up crotch-rockets decades ago, and the feeling like I have something to prove. I ride for pleasure now, not competition and this tire combination has quite suitable traction/performance for me. OK, I'm an old fart.

Top Bottom