Another kind of ST (Super Touring)

Bike
R1200rt
I’ve read that as well- Nissan CVTs are made by Jatco (Japanese automatic transmission company) and are known to be failure points in the affected cars- they probably wouldn’t be so problematic if owners did fluid changes every ~ 30-40K miles or so. Same with Hondas- they had a tendency to have issues (I had a 2006 TL) and I would get the fluid drained and refilled every other oil change (like every 15K miles with 3 quarts of ATF)- never had an issue. With the wife’s Cadillac SRX, they recommend fluid change at 150K miles- I did it at 60K and although I was told the fluid was a little brown, it wasn’t completely shot, so I’ll stay with that interval and the SUV works very well.
The CVT problem isn't the fluid. When sevice codes are for internal electrical solenoids and belts coming apart. Nissian only wishes they could change the service interval to make the problem go away. As far as your SRX, the trans fluid is brown from the factory, most replacement fluids are red

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
drifting away. :(
??? Don’t understand drifting away…anyway, I went to my local bike dealer in town and looked at the AK550…VERY nice ride. Just a hair smaller than my Silverwing. With that bike, I have to remove the low back bolster (and I would with the AK550) in order to have some more legroom (I’m ~ 6’1”). What I’ve done recently is use my tail pack as a backrest:

9384994E-A89B-4535-9E2A-18B93FDF65B1.jpeg

BFC76F26-B9B7-4618-9F8C-145EEA888C85.jpeg

I never thought I would like scooters but they are a lot of fun- still love my STs as well, just a different kind of ride.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Drifting seems to happen sometimes. I notice it more lately than in years past... likely due to the influence of other non-structured social media outlets that encourage anything anywhere. I like somewhat more organized structured chaos.

@Erdoc48 , I know of more than a few AK 550 owners who did just that, removed the back bumper for more leg room. One owner discovered that he didn't have the back bumper all the way back so put it back on and adjusted it all the way to the rear and ended up leaving it on. What's your inseam? That's actually more important for how far back you need to sit than total height. I'm 5'9" but 32" inseam so need the back bumper all the way back. I find when I travel and pack my dry bags on the pillion that serves as the best back rest for a long time in the saddle. But the back bumper is removable. There are 2 set screws in one of the legs under the seat that need to come out and then the bumper will slide off. A good idea to plug the holes left to prevent water from getting into the storage box if you happen to have the bike out in the weather. This is the same situation with many scooters of this size class as you know with the SWing.

Getting a little older I find this kind of ride keeps me in the saddle and on 2 wheels for several more years. And still able to travel a bit.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Ok, now I get drifting (about CVT’s)- anyway, I tried by butt bumper all the way back and it still was pushing me too far forward)- there was a guy on eBay that sold a lifter kit that would elevate the bumper up ~ 3“ and back another 1.5” from the most rearward position, but he’s on what appears to be a permanent vacation- my wife wants the bumper in place for her when (eventually) she gets on the saddle, but for now, a Bead rider to cover the seat hardware and the tail pack seems to work well as a backrest.

I did like the AK550, just likely won’t get one for now. Good idea with the holes in the hardware- I’ll remember that for when I wash the bike.

Bike
2009 ST1300
that was the kicker for the CVs; they are poetry in motion, the closest thing to true PID control applied to a bike, to consistently eat all that's available and meet the torque requirement, with two possible exceptions; I'll expound on that later, perhaps after the Sedona Sun Set, but.. where was I... oh yeah, I did see on two 1/4 milers replicate his / her time, but then; they moved on, sold the cars [hey, I didn't have any money], I didn't get it.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just some updates. Don't remember if I mentioned elsewhere on this forum though I did on other forums.

At the end of May this year I received and installed the Givi rear rack rails and Givi M8B aluminum base plate for a Monokey top case. I don't intend to add the top case just yet so removed the front studs on the plate to allow for a flatter luggage rack... which is how I intend to use this setup. I was better able to pack for LOCSTOC and MNSTOC with the rear plate installed.

Here is the result with just the plate and also packed for going camping.
100_4564.JPG100_4566.JPGPXL_20220809_232028805.jpg

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
So far the average mpg is around 57+ mpg. The highest was seen on my return trip from MNSTOC (more information in that thread) where the final leg of the ride home resulted in 64+ mpg even though much of that tank was running at 65 mph. As is typical with bikes bought new from the dealer the mpg is expected to improve slightly for the next few thousand miles yet.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Drifting seems to happen sometimes. I notice it more lately than in years past... likely due to the influence of other non-structured social media outlets that encourage anything anywhere. I like somewhat more organized structured chaos.
Ha! I thought you had drifted into discussing rubber crop circles that have been appearing in various streets and intersections for some time now.

I was about to shake my brolly at the sky and rail against the hoons but then...

<never mind>

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Today it was warm enough in the garage that I installed one of my Christmas presents from my Son and his family...

Yep, that says AK 550 on it. :biggrin:
I used blue thread lock on the screws.
I'll likely continue to bring along the side stand puck that I keep in the right glove box just in case I try to set down on a particularly soggy patch of ground... at least for a short time. But I shouldn't need to use it now.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I really like the AK550. If I was in the market for another bike/ scooter, I would likely get that. I have sat on it in the dealership, and size wise, it would work for me. How has the reliability been? Parts availability? How many miles on it so far since you bought it?
I’ve been looking at UK scooters like an ADV750 and Forza 750- too bad they don’t bring those to the US (but I assume the market is too small here for scooters like that). I went to the local dealership last week just to sit on for size an ADV160 and PCX. Those are nice, but too small, (legroom wise) for what I need (can’t stretch out at all). I was just scoping them out for the future when I can’t handle the STs any longer (and I hope that’s well more than 20 years from now).

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I really like the AK550. If I was in the market for another bike/ scooter, I would likely get that. I have sat on it in the dealership, and size wise, it would work for me. How has the reliability been? Parts availability? How many miles on it so far since you bought it?
I’ve been looking at UK scooters like an ADV750 and Forza 750- too bad they don’t bring those to the US (but I assume the market is too small here for scooters like that). I went to the local dealership last week just to sit on for size an ADV160 and PCX. Those are nice, but too small, (legroom wise) for what I need (can’t stretch out at all). I was just scoping them out for the future when I can’t handle the STs any longer (and I hope that’s well more than 20 years from now).
Reliability has been as good as any other bike I've had in the last 25 years at least... '97 Kawasaki Vulcan, '90 Honda Gold Wing, '05 Suzuki Burgman 650, '98 Honda ST1100, 2014 Honda CTX1300, 2013 Suzuki Burgman 650. Actually better reliability than my first older Suzuki Burgman was (front wheel bearing issues on that one). Parts are available as easy as all those others once you know where to look for them. I have just over 12,230 miles so far. I do almost all of my own maintenance including changing tires and regular maintenance on the CVT (just performed a few months ago).

I'm not yet ready for anything smaller. This AK has plenty of performance equal to my skill level. Even equal to the performance I got out of my GW or ST (I know those bikes had a lot more to give than what I took out of them). And at barely 500 lbs it is incredibly easy to handle in the garage or really slow traffic (extra low CG too). Felt really nice giving up the 230 lbs from the ST and CTX.

Soon, I'll even be adding a small trailer to pull with the AK for those big shopping trips... and also the STOC events I go to. Working up a design to make my own hitch for it. Hoping to have that project done in time for FerrySTOC. ;)

Top Bottom