Any experience with Givi TankLock tank bags on ST1300?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
One of the potential pluses of my new ST1300 over my ST1100 is a outwardly conventional tank with a standard fuel cap and steel construction.

My son installed a Givi TankLockED 25L tankbag on his 650VStrom and I really like the design, its manner of attachment and ability to lock it to the bike with a key. I bought the specific adapter for the ST1300 and installed the adapter ring to try his bag out on my bike.

It works great! Except... The bag interferes with the bars and controls at full lock, both directions. Tried this both before and after installing an MCL bar riser - the riser does move the bars rearward which does make matters worse. The attachment mechanism on the underside of the bag can be relocated fore and aft to fine tune the position, but even with the bag shifted to the rear as far as possible, the bar interference was greater than I'd like.

I have a few questions for the ST hive mind.
  • Does anyone use a Givi TankLock tank bag on an ST1300?
  • Which model are you using? (the UT810 25LTR TANKLOCKED TANK BAG is physically the largest in the Givi product line)
  • Are you happy with the fit? Do you have interference with the bars at full lock?
  • Does the bike have Helibar or MCL bar risers?
  • Have you made any modifications to the mount to make it fit better?
  • Any other pieces of wisdom?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I have the Bags Connection Evo - same principle. A plastic ring is screwed around the gas filler cap and the tank bag clips to that - not touching the painted tank. The EVO is the smallest tank bag, and yes, I too found the interference fit (so to speak) objectionable in full lock turns. Two problems - the interference and occasional sticking of the hinged gas cap. I ended up not using the EVO - personal preference.

Note that I installed the bag as far aft as possible and my handlebars just barely touched the bag - maybe enough to hit the starter or horn. It was still distracting on full lock turns.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I was using the Givi XS308 till recently when the zipper started to fail. I liked it a lot. The pockets help in organization. The tank lock actually helped keep it from being stolen. The would-be thief tried to take it, but couldn't figure out how to remove it. :D His loss, my gain. Givi doesn't make the XS308 any more. The closest I can find is the Givi EA118. I'm not sure why it is so much less cost than the one you're thinking of. https://www.amazon.com/Givi-Tanklock-Enduro-Tank-EA118/dp/B0791DDLLS/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=GIVI+tank+bag&qid=1597101737&sr=8-9

While not on a ST1300, there's a couple thoughts to consider.
  • The underside will still scratch your paint. I put clear package sealing tape on my tank, and that worked fine.
  • Some tank bags have a flat underside. Others curve to match the curve of a gas tank.
Chris

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks SMSW and Chris...

The UT810 incorporates a key lock into the Tanklock ring allowing you to lock it to the bike. My son's research showed that by itself adds about $100 to the price of the bag.

I just stumbled onto this one however. The GIVI XS320 XSTREAM TANKLOCK TANK BAG for the Africa Twin might be the ticket as it positions the lock ring as far forward as possible on the bag's underside, which obviously positions the bag as far rearward as this mounting system can offer. It's smaller than the UT810, but that may the price of a proper fit.

1597137573825.png

SW-Motech has a clever solution, but it requires moving the bag rearward at least one full gas cap diameter so that it provides full access to the cap for fueling. A solution, not my solution.

1597137394299.png

Already planning for a full bodywork protective film kit. https://thetankslapper.biz/st1300-total-protection-kit/ I've got a nephew who works in the car body wrap and protective film business and want his opinion on the "Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film" versus the "Scotchgard™️ Paint Protection Film Pro Series". I was leaning toward the Scotchgard product.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Got word back from the nephew. I'm going to follow his advice.

"We use all Xpel products at our shop. The Xpel paint protection film installs easier and stays clear for a longer period of time than the 3M product. We used the 3M film for a long time until our installers got their hands on the Xpel film and they've stuck with that ever since "

YMMV

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Using the Givi Tank-Lok 3D604. Taller then wider, just taps the buttons on extreme turns (gen3 heli riser).

Works good for a water bladder, Gatorade bottle, camera and a few jerky snacks.

One of the potential pluses of my new ST1300 over my ST1100 is a outwardly conventional tank with a standard fuel cap and steel construction.

My son installed a Givi TankLockED 25L tankbag on his 650VStrom and I really like the design, its manner of attachment and ability to lock it to the bike with a key. I bought the specific adapter for the ST1300 and installed the adapter ring to try his bag out on my bike.

It works great! Except... The bag interferes with the bars and controls at full lock, both directions. Tried this both before and after installing an MCL bar riser - the riser does move the bars rearward which does make matters worse. The attachment mechanism on the underside of the bag can be relocated fore and aft to fine tune the position, but even with the bag shifted to the rear as far as possible, the bar interference was greater than I'd like.

I have a few questions for the ST hive mind.
  • Does anyone use a Givi TankLock tank bag on an ST1300?
  • Which model are you using? (the UT810 25LTR TANKLOCKED TANK BAG is physically the largest in the Givi product line)
  • Are you happy with the fit? Do you have interference with the bars at full lock?
  • Does the bike have Helibar or MCL bar risers?
  • Have you made any modifications to the mount to make it fit better?
  • Any other pieces of wisdom?
Thanks!
hello, I am looking at the ST1300, and cant find the tankloc adapter from Givi speciffic for the ST1300, do you have some info for me please?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I had an SW-Motech bag (maybe the City model?) on my ST1300 and I really liked it. The key to a good fit was that it drooped down at the back to match the contour of the STs tank. I also put a layer of body-coating film on my tank - but I don't recall the brand (it was likely a 3M product).

As I recall, the bag did not interfere with the starter or the horn, but at full-lock, it did sometimes make the windscreen move down. I generally kept the screen fully lowered anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

I will say this - tank bags are a great addition to a bike as they put your regularly-used stuff close at hand and you can access them while seated. On the downside, they do take a few seconds of extra fiddling when you stop for fuel.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
hello, I am looking at the ST1300, and cant find the tankloc adapter from Givi speciffic for the ST1300, do you have some info for me please?
The BF03 should work

If you already own a Givi Tanklock bag, then the model @Mellow mentioned is correct.

If you're still shopping for the bike and the tankbag consider the SW-Motech Pro Trial. The link below is my write up and comparison to the Pro City. I am VERY pleased with the Pro Trial. From my personal perspective it represents practically the biggest bag that fits in the available space that mounts using a tank ring like the Givi and SW-Motech offerings.

If you're already invested in Givi products, be aware that the Tanklock uses the newer high security key which isn't backwards compatible with the previous keys with the red plastic. So if your intention was to key your other Givi products alike, like their tail boxes, then make sure they share the same key type. On my ST1300 I have a Givi Maxia V56 box with that new style key and the SW-Motech PRO Trial. Having two keys isn't such an inconvenience for me.

YMMV

Good luck!

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Being in need of a replacement for a tired genuine Honda ST1300 tank bag I was very interested in the comments regarding the Givi Africa Twin bag.

Having recently used a non key locking Givi tank bag on a rental ST13 I decided to investigate further.

Some web research identified that in UK Blackpool Honda were selling the bag with fitment ring for the AT on their fleaBay site and also had a used ST13 on their showroom floor.

A call to Dale in their parts department resulted in him trial fitting the AT bag on the ST13.

Based on the reported results a Givi XS320 bag and BF03 tank fitment for the ST13 are on their way.

Full report and pics once bag arrives.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Givi has a tanklock version of bags and tanklocked... the latter can be locked.

I have tried the sw-motech version and didn't like the pull cord you have to access, was always awkward. The Givi plastic side latch is much easier to get to and makes it much easier to take off/put on.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Really looking forward to your thoughts on this, once you get the bag. I'm in the market also.

Being in need of a replacement for a tired genuine Honda ST1300 tank bag I was very interested in the comments regarding the Givi Africa Twin bag.

Having recently used a non key locking Givi tank bag on a rental ST13 I decided to investigate further.

Some web research identified that in UK Blackpool Honda were selling the bag with fitment ring for the AT on their fleaBay site and also had a used ST13 on their showroom floor.

A call to Dale in their parts department resulted in him trial fitting the AT bag on the ST13.

Based on the reported results a Givi XS320 bag and BF03 tank fitment for the ST13 are on their way.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Really looking forward to your thoughts on this, once you get the bag. I'm in the market also.
Same here. I had considered that bag, but lacked anyone local to test fit like you did. Good luck!

Givi has a tanklock version of bags and tanklocked... the latter can be locked.

I have tried the sw-motech version and didn't like the pull cord you have to access, was always awkward. The Givi plastic side latch is much easier to get to and makes it much easier to take off/put on.
@Mellow I thought the same thing about the Givi and SW-Motech locking methods, but then considered that to fully secure the Givi TankLocked bag you needed a key for Givi itself PLUS an additional padlock (and key) to lock the zippers closed and secure the contents. The SW-Mototech secures the bag to the tankring with a simple pin inserted through the bag's floor into the release mechanism preventing the bag's release unless it's removed. I still need a padlock to secure the zippers, but with the pin in place that one padlock secures both the contents and prevents the bag from removal. So for me it was either two additional keys, or just one.

I attached the SW-Motech pin to one of the screws that's on the interior floor of the bagwith a short lanyard. It keeps the pin nearby that hole and from getting lost.

Both are great products and my garage welcomes both brands. :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Same here. I had considered that bag, but lacked anyone local to test fit like you did. Good luck!

@Mellow I thought the same thing about the Givi and SW-Motech locking methods, but then considered that to fully secure the Givi TankLocked bag you needed a key for Givi itself PLUS an additional padlock (and key) to lock the zippers closed and secure the contents. The SW-Mototech secures the bag to the tankring with a simple pin inserted through the bag's floor into the release mechanism preventing the bag's release unless it's removed. I still need a padlock to secure the zippers, but with the pin in place that one padlock secures both the contents and prevents the bag from removal. So for me it was either two additional keys, or just one.

I attached the SW-Motech pin to one of the screws that's on the interior floor of the bagwith a short lanyard. It keeps the pin nearby that hole and from getting lost.

Both are great products and my garage welcomes both brands. :)
Understood..I never cared about the locked versions so easy on/off for gas was more important.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Understood..I never cared about the locked versions so easy on/off for gas was more important.
My understanding is that locking bag to tank is optional. So normally would not need key to access petrol filler
Option of a lockable bag was not essential but a "nice to have"

Will confirm once it arrives and is test fitted.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The AF XS320 bag is a great fit on my Tracer, but when I ordered it I did not realise that the Tracer tank ring has to be modified and rotated 90 degrees for the XS320 to fit properly. I think you'll find the same thing. I thought the mount on the bag could be unscrewed and rotated 90 degrees, but the mount is rectangular, not square.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
My understanding is that locking bag to tank is optional. So normally would not need key to access petrol filler
Option of a lockable bag was not essential but a "nice to have"

Will confirm once it arrives and is test fitted.
Sorry, I added my own lockable bias to the discussion. Having had too many possessions of mine cease to be that, if a securable option is available I go for it. That said, Givi takes a pound of flesh to upgrade their products to be lockable. IIRC the bag my son has on his VStrom is about $100 more expensive than the identical, but not locking version. Of course SW-Motech sells a simple metal pin on a keyring with a short lanyard, plus an airline luggage grade combination lock on a coiled cable for $25. Can't buy the pin alone, but the lock and cable are $19. The pin would be simple to make yourself with a piece of metal rod and a drill if you wanted it on a leash.

I really like the Givi products, so I too look forward to your report and pictures - please! - once you receive it.

Last edited:

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
AT case and ST13 fitting plate (BF03) duely arrived.

Case sat nicely on tank for a trial fit but once the ring was fitted to the tank a big problem surfaced.

Tanklock rings has a locating system to ensure case orientation is correct when fitted to the ring.

Normally this is at 6 o'clock (i.e. nearest to rider) for some reason on the AT set up it is at 3 o'clock. OK if you use AT case and ring but not good for mixing AT and ST fixings. The case hangs off one side of the tank.

Looked at rotating TankRing on case. Held by 4 screws but in a rectangular pattern so not possible.

The only solution was to modify the ST mount to align with the AT case.

Decided to keep same three mounting bolt points. Measured up and rear bolts are +/- 145 degrees from front bolt.

Three new holes measured out and drilled and modified ring is fitted.

REVIEW

AT case sits well on ST. With 15 litres there is lots of space. Rain cover fits in one side pocket, a side stand puck fits in the rear pocket.

There is no keylock option on XS320 case.

There is clear map pocket integral with the case and the rain cover has a clear section to allow the map to be viewed when fitted.

A separate tablet / phone case can be fitted on top of the bag but it attaches to the body of the bag so needs to be unclipped to access the main compartment of the bag.

A shoulder strap is included.

ST13 FITTING

The bag sits well on the ST13. Ideally it could be a touch narrower as the switchgear just touches on full lock. With the mid the release mechanism is at the front of the bag and easily accessible as the bag sits so far back.

IN CONCLUSION

Given price it is very good value. The fact that a map pocket is built in is great IMHO. SatNavs are great at getting you to a destination but a map allows for deciding on the next leg of a "where next" ride.

It will be staying on my ST13.

Have attached several pictures

Attachments

Top Bottom