Any experience with Givi TankLock tank bags on ST1300?

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for reporting in on your new toy @V4 Rider . It looks good and fits in the available space pretty well.

The switchgear on my bike with the MCL riser also contacts my SW-Motech PRO Trial bag, but fortunately it's only the windshield down button that actually gets pressed, so there's no errant horn or starter action happening.

Good luck!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for reporting in on your new toy @V4 Rider . It looks good and fits in the available space pretty well.

The switchgear on my bike with the MCL riser also contacts my SW-Motech PRO Trial bag, but fortunately it's only the windshield down button that actually gets pressed, so there's no errant horn or starter action happening.

Good luck!
Minor mod should work for shield as well::

Noob here. I have been lurking for years and found this thread helpful so I thought I was contribute.

I installed the Givi XS307 Xstream 15L on my 07. This is the perfect size bag for me and I love the mounting. Way better than the 20 year old magnetic bag I have been using.

I adjusted the mounting on the bag all the way back but was still having some interference issues with the horn on and the starter button. Honking at people in the parking lot can be dangerous in some of the places I go.

I found Givi mount BF38 looked like the perfect solution although it was not specific to the ST. Sure enough, it positions the bag right where I wanted it. Then with the adjustment in the bag mounting itself, I was really able to fine tune the set up.

I did have to do some minor modifications on the mount since the screw holes for mounting to the gas tank lid weren't the same. There was enough material to drill new holes and do a little grinding to clearance the lid. I hope the pictures explain this better. Rather than bolting straight to the bike, I used the original adapter plate over the BF38 adapter to add strength. It worked well for me. I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

AT case and ST13 fitting plate (BF03) duely arrived.

Case sat nicely on tank for a trial fit but once the ring was fitted to the tank a big problem surfaced.

Tanklock rings has a locating system to ensure case orientation is correct when fitted to the ring.

Normally this is at 6 o'clock (i.e. nearest to rider) for some reason on the AT set up it is at 3 o'clock. OK if you use AT case and ring but not good for mixing AT and ST fixings. The case hangs off one side of the tank.

Looked at rotating TankRing on case. Held by 4 screws but in a rectangular pattern so not possible.

The only solution was to modify the ST mount to align with the AT case.

Decided to keep same three mounting bolt points. Measured up and rear bolts are +/- 145 degrees from front bolt.

Three new holes measured out and drilled and modified ring is fitted.

REVIEW

AT case sits well on ST. With 15 litres there is lots of space. Rain cover fits in one side pocket, a side stand puck fits in the rear pocket.

There is no keylock option on XS320 case.

There is clear map pocket integral with the case and the rain cover has a clear section to allow the map to be viewed when fitted.

A separate tablet / phone case can be fitted on top of the bag but it attaches to the body of the bag so needs to be unclipped to access the main compartment of the bag.

A shoulder strap is included.

ST13 FITTING

The bag sits well on the ST13. Ideally it could be a touch narrower as the switchgear just touches on full lock. With the mid the release mechanism is at the front of the bag and easily accessible as the bag sits so far back.

IN CONCLUSION

Given price it is very good value. The fact that a map pocket is built in is great IMHO. SatNavs are great at getting you to a destination but a map allows for deciding on the next leg of a "where next" ride.

It will be staying on my ST13.

Have attached several pictures
Just bought the same bag to fit to my ST. I'm only going to have to drill one extra hole in the flange. It almost seems like a design error that the flange on the bag is oriented 90 degrees from where it should be. I have another Givi tank bag on my 07 GS and it fits as it should.
Seems strange.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
It almost seems like a design error that the flange on the bag is oriented 90 degrees from where it should be. I have another Givi tank bag on my 07 GS and it fits as it should.
Seems strange.
I bought one of these Givi XS320 bags a couple years ago. I used it on my BMW F800GT, and now on my F900 XR. For whatever reason, Givi chose to make it seem like the XS308 tank bag would only fit certain bikes.

IMHO, the solution was not to modify the tanklock ring on the bike, but to modify the bag by drilling new holes and turning the tanklock fitting on the bottom of the bag 90 degrees. I mean, you could do it either way, but if you use another tanklock bag...you'll be off 90 degrees if you modified the ring on the bike. I already had two other Givi tanklock bags, so it made more sense to modify the XS308 and not screw up the mounting for the others.

Now, you can take this one step further. When I had my Honda NT700V, I bought a Cortech 2.0 tank bag. It fastened with magnets, which was great on my Honda...but which didn't work at all with the plastic "tank" of the BMW F800GT. So I took the tanklock fitting off the Givi XS320 bag and fastened it on the bottom of the Cortech bag. It now works great. To firm up the base like the Givi bag has, I bought a cheap plastic clipboard and cut it to the size I needed.

Chris

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
I agree turning the lock in the base of the bag seems the obvious solution but not possible on the AT bag unfortunately.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Yes on mine the "base plate" is not square and has insufficient material to allow the rotated mounting to be bolted in place. I know because I tried it !

Very strange.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Mine wasn't square either. I ended up redrilling a couple holes after doing the old "measure twice, cut once" trick. It'll work just fine, you just have to be creative. ;)

I have no idea why they made that bag like that. It's a great size and narrow, which can help with clearing switches on the handlebars.

Chris

Top Bottom