Anybody Here Ever Replaced A ST1100 Engine?

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
The French mechanic (brave man ) could use one of those old barns with a massive Oak cross beam to give some support with chains . Still a massive effort multiplied by all the bolts to be removed . The block supports would be better replaced with wooden blocks . Bash them together with six inch nails if you need .

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The French mechanic (brave man ) could use one of those old barns with a massive Oak cross beam to give some support with chains . Still a massive effort multiplied by all the bolts to be removed . The block supports would be better replaced with wooden blocks . Bash them together with six inch nails if you need .
Nashcat has a 'cherry picker' engine hoist which will do the heavy lifting for the engine.
I don't plan on removing any more stuff off the ST1100 than I absolutely have to. ;)

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
HarborFreight has decent quality lifting straps that aren't expensive if he doesn't have any to go along with the hoist.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I bought the nicer aluminum Harbor Freight lift and with @Nashcat's (John) help, the 'donor' engine is now in the frame of SweetTreat. Putting an engine into a ST1100 is definitely not a 'one man' job though was I able to pull both engines out by myself. A thousand thankyous to NashCat for his willingness to drive up to the Holler and figure it out. The final solution was to hoist the entire ST1100 up in the air, roll the engine underneath it, then adjust the height of both until the engine could be bolted in. Connecting the driveshaft was a little tricky but he got that sorted also. Still a lot more work to do to get her road ready, but the install was the tough one! And the donor engine only has 40,000 miles on it so it will be like getting an almost 'new' ST1100. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
This is great to hear! I was wondering if you had done the swap or how it went. She’ll be back roadworthy soon I’m sure. I’m not sure I’d have the ability to do such a swap. Also, regarding those water neck bolts, if they’re white on the threads, you may want to replace them, as it would be a shame if they broke on reinstallation. I didn’t when I swapped out my elbows but maybe I should have.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glory Hallelujah - She just fired up and I ran her for just a little bit.
Still got a some more tweaking to do, but she has a brand new Delkevic stainless steel exhaust.
I also went with Evans Waterless Coolant to hopefully extend the water pump and coolant system life.
Once I get her running smooth and make sure there are no leaks - coolant or air - I'll reinstall the bodywork and give her a road test.
Thanks to all that gave helpful counsel and a big thousand thankyous to @Nashcat (John) who helped me get the engine back in the frame.

Bike
2005 st1300
Glory Hallelujah - She just fired up and I ran her for just a little bit.
Still got a some more tweaking to do, but she has a brand new Delkevic stainless steel exhaust.
I also went with Evans Waterless Coolant to hopefully extend the water pump and coolant system life.
Once I get her running smooth and make sure there are no leaks - coolant or air - I'll reinstall the bodywork and give her a road test.
Thanks to all that gave helpful counsel and a big thousand thankyous to @Nashcat (John) who helped me get the engine back in the frame.
Great to hear you won

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, I took her out for a little 90 mile 'shake down' ride today - mixture of twisties, city, and slab.
She just purred like a kitten just let out of a cage!
With only 40,000 miles on the engine, she runs like a brand new ST1100. :biggrin:
What?!? No pictures? Isn't there a rule on the forum against that? :rofl1:

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Thanks! Oh yeah, what are your impressions of the waterless coolant? I've read that overall temps run a bit higher than traditional coolant.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks! Oh yeah, what are your impressions of the waterless coolant? I've read that overall temps run a bit higher than traditional coolant.
Actually I am seeing the opposite - the engine appears to be running a little bit cooler.
Time will tell when I get some more miles on her in traffic situations.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A little 'post mortem' on the old engine -
The timing belt shows a groove - almost a tear - in the middle of it which tells me it did a major slip.
And the water pump is close to being frozen - very hard to turn with your hand.
So my original prognosis on the side of the road was correct - the water pump roached, the belt slipped, she jumped time, and the valves were toast.

Top Bottom