Anyone Running Double Darkside on their ST-1300?

Bike
04 st1300A
As has been mentioned in this thread I doubt any police will be inspecting the tires on your bike to see if you comply with the laws in your state or Province. The problem could come if, God forbid, you are in an accident and the insurance company does an inspection of your bike. Regardles of the laws of the land the insurance companys have their own laws written into their policies so in the event of a claim they have an excuse NOT to pay it. This is the job of the insurance "adjuster" His job is to look at the evidence and then comb the policy and find any reason possible NOT to pay your claim. Going darkside or mixing tires may just give them what they need to deny your claim or rule your policy "invalid" Right or wrong, at this point you would need to hire a lawyer and fight it in court. So instead of looking for the laws regaurding the mixing of tires on your bike it might be prudent to look through your insurance policy for the answer.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Got it mounted up today and there's plenty of clearance Clearance. Haven't ridden on it yet. It may not handle worth a hoot but doggone it I will look good. Between the added height of the CT on the rear and the over-size tire on the front there is very little space under the rear tire when it's on the center stand. Still wondering what pressure to use on the front. I think I read that 41 is recommended when it is used on a Goldwing or a trike. May settle for 40 on my ST13. I'll report in again after I take it for a spin.

Attachments

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Got it mounted up today and there's plenty of clearance Clearance. Haven't ridden on it yet. It may not handle worth a hoot but doggone it I will look good. Between the added height of the CT on the rear and the over-size tire on the front there is very little space under the rear tire when it's on the center stand. Still wondering what pressure to use on the front. I think I read that 41 is recommended when it is used on a Goldwing or a trike. May settle for 40 on my ST13. I'll report in again after I take it for a spin.
So, us guys with short legs might just as well stay away from this set up, huh? I can barely tippy toe mine with stock tires and I suppose all of you would laugh at me if I showed up with a set of outriggers on my ST. :eek::

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
So, us guys with short legs might just as well stay away from this set up, huh? I can barely tippy toe mine with stock tires and I suppose all of you would laugh at me if I showed up with a set of outriggers on my ST. :eek::
May I recommend riding side saddle like the true cowgirls of yesteryear.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Jeff it is a rear tire mounted on the front, do you have to mount it on the wheel backwards to make it go forward?

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Jeff it is a rear tire mounted on the front, do you have to mount it on the wheel backwards to make it go forward?
Mike, there's a thread on here that will be more applicable to your question. Do a search on Conveyor Belts and Airplanes and post there.

It is a directional tire so yes, my bike steers like a lift truck now.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have seen several posts on other forums that indicate the need to reverse the rotation due to the fact that the tire is now a driven tar, rather than the drive tar.
Maybe that is why the PR2 looks "wrong" to me.
:bigpop::bigpop::bigpop:

Tim,,Tim,, paging Tim to the answer desk.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Quit it Mike. You're making my brain hurt!
Mike, there's a thread on here that will be more applicable to your question. Do a search on Conveyor Belts and Airplanes and post there.

It is a directional tire so yes, my bike steers like a lift truck now.
My brother Leroy is running a rear tire on the front of his Honda Nighthawk with a sidecar and he stated that a rear tire is designed for acceleration and the front tire is designed for deceleration and that the cords are setup and stronger for that and that is why you run a rear tire on the front backwards. He stated that he has done some research into this and that is why I was asking this question.

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Mike, you might be on to something there. But, you have to remember you're talking to a guy who has made a conscious choice to put a car tire on the rear of his ST and has now bought and mounted a rear tire for the front.

I have one word...McFly

I did a search too and came up with several posts that echo what you are saying. I had mine mounted as the directional arrows shows. If nothing else, I can be the poster child for what not to do.

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Here it is a little before 3:00 and I'm up checking out this issue of rear on front rotation. I just read multiple sites discussion on the issue. Sounds like an oil thread. One guy even pointed to a Metzler site and their FAQ's which contradicted what he said in his post. Metzler says never reverse rotation if there are directional arrows on the sidewall.

I understand the theory behind construction and I'll use a roll of tape or toilet paper as an example. Roll it one way and everything is fine. Roll it the other way and there's a good chance it will unravel. On the other hand, the treadpattern is such that it is designed to deal with water to prevent hydroplaning and any "V" shaped tread pattern is supposed to be rolling a certain way. Then you have Michelin's Pilot Roads II & III which is the polar opposite of that theory.

So whatchya gonna do? Me, I'm going to take a ride and see what happens. I'm more concerned with geometry at the moment. On a bike that already is persnickety I can't wait to see what a 7 mm taller front tire is going to do. Raising the front axle should increase the rake and trail and make it more stable, like a cruiser. But, increasing pre-load on the rear has the opposite effect and that seems to help.

I'm thinking about doing drugs. I can't handle this topic. :D

Jammaman

R.I.P. - 2022/02/02
Rest In Peace
Good morning, and Merry Christmas to all. I ride a GL1800 and am a double darksider with 13.000+ miles on the setup, with great results when viewing treadware, handling and, in my mind at least, also from a safety standpoint. Many GL riders now subscribe to the darkside methodology, with a steady stream switching to double darkside....there is lots of opinion on the mounting of the front tire forward or backwards (treadwise), and altlhough most subscribe to the backward method, many others oppose, and surprisingly a large number have tried it both ways....regardless, in the end it seems there are those whom believe strongly in all three methods...and will argue their reasons to the bitter end.

So in short, from a hands on approach at least in the GL community, the jury is still out on what, if ever, is the best way to run a front CT. Yet of those who have tried either darkside or doubledarkside, the overwhelming majoritys are in agreement that it works....so I think Dinkie is on the right track. Put it on ride it as you would normally do so, then find out which method (forward/backward)works.....and of course he may just conclude it isn't for him, which is also a great choice

So ride on Dink, and enjoy what I believe to be a great way to do so, with a combo that you'll enjoy.....especially the part of not buying tires seemingly as often as one fills their tank.

Everyone, enjoy, be safe and ride on!

Doug / AG5I

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Okay, the question is moot it seams, but the pics are great,,,,no?

Bike
2006 ST1300
From my understanding, the direction of the tire isn't about the cords, but rather the direction the traction will be dealing with. The rear tire is designed for acceleration, the front, deceleration. The trad patterns are designed to deal with that. Take two regular MC tires of the same brand, a front and a rear. Put them side by side with the direction of rotation the same. The front appears to be backwards when compared to the rear. So if you run a rear tire on the front, you would want to turn it around.

Interesting photos of that dualsport tire on the Wing. That confirms what I was curious about, since I was considering doung exactly what he did for winter riding up here- using a studded darkside tire on the rear, and a studded dualsport rear tire on the front of the ST. Now I know it would work, and with a bike even heavier than an ST.

Jim

Top Bottom