Anyone Running Double Darkside on their ST-1300?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thinking of going Double Darkside with the BT45 and the only question I have is about the width of the tire and also having the stuff stopper fender extender. Anybody running the BT45 with this combination and are there any clearance issues? With the stock size tire and the fender extender the clearance between the tire and the extender are pretty narrow.
I am running this combo and the BT45 did rub on the bottom of the stuff stopper a little bit. You may have to heat the stopper up just a little to make sure there is clearance, it is not much to make it clear.

I have almost 20,000 miles with that front tire with mostly two lane roads and my tire has a ton of rubber in the middle but the sides are almost to the wear bars. I am still very happy with this tire after my last Metzler front tire that lasted less then 4000 miles.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
After having very poor luck with a rear PR3 (7000 miles) and a badly cupped a worn PR2 front (8500 miles) I purchased a new Hankook V12 for the rear and a new Michelin Commander II cruiser front tire which is the same size as stock. I just got back from a @ 1500 mile road trip to some major twisties in Arkansas, in my opinion the combination of these two tires perform better than the PR3 rear/PR2 front. I am hoping to get some good numbers on many miles with this combo. The Hankook was cheap ($95) the Michelin Comander II was not ($170) I shall post when each wear out.

Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
I am running a Dunlop E3 on the front 130/50 18 with good results as a radial and the Hankook on the rear. It is a heavy weight tire but with the chair I need the extra weight load. 15,000k and still no ware bars .

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well I finally got around to double dark on the ST1300 today. A couple of weeks ago, I put a Falken ZIEX612+, 205/50-17 on the rear and today I put a BT45, 130/70-18 on the front. I can't say how it rides since my mechanic/tire installer is exactly 1 mile from my house and I had other stuff that I had to get done today. Maybe tomorrow, I can give a ride report if tonight's storms have moved on through.

An added plus is that I got to see a almost mint PC800 on the lift, also getting tires. It looked good for being 25 years old.

John

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well I finally got to do a 330 mile run on my double dark setup. About half the trip was slab and the other half mostly 2 lane with about 20 miles of twisties through a national forest in N. Alabama. The bike felt better than it ever has, especially on the slab. Trucks didn't seem to blow me around as much and the 20 miles of grooved pavement was hardly noticeable, except for extra road noise. In the twisties, it felt solid and seemed to hold my line better than the Metzler Z8's that I replaced.

On another topic, after the Falken and BT45 were mounted, I gained quite a bit of seat height. After the rear was mounted, I noticed a slight difference in height, but after the front was on, I was on tip toes to reach the ground. The RDL seat didn't help things, as it also increases height. So, after noticing the front end was causing most of the increase, I raised the fork tubes 1/2" in the trees. Supposedly, this should have made the bike turn in quicker on turns. I'm not sure about quicker turn in, but it felt great. Maybe it took out some of the sluggish feeling that some riders report with the rear CT. Anyway, I can now reach the pavement.

John

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
On my to do list this weekend!
Really easy to do. Put bike on center stand. Put floor jack under oil pan. Loosen 6 screws on trees and lower floor jack to desired amount.

:D Now for the real story. Without taking off any Tupperware, the bottom 4 screws are knuckle busters with a 12mm box end wrench. I had to completely remove the bottom screw on each side in order to get the wrench on the upper screw. After all the screws are loose, the tubes slide freely. When lowering the floor jack, you'll go too far! Just jack it back up a little. NOT THAT FAR! I told you they slide freely. After a couple of ups and downs (pun intended) you finally hit the spot. (I went 1/2") You need to be able to accurately measure the amount that you move the tubes. The old pocket tape measure probably won't cut it. When you get one tube where you need it, snug down one upper clamp screw. Adjust the other side and snug down the other top screw. Then tackle the lower screws. Tighten everything up (remove jacks:D) and test ride.

The bike should turn in a little quicker, so be aware of the changes to handling. I had mine at ton+ with no wobble or weave. 330 mile trip and it felt fine.

John

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Michelin Pilot Activ came off the front today with 27954 miles. Lots of tread left (15,000?) but the side scallops caused a small handlebar vibration at 82 mph. I don't like a vibration at those speeds and since I sometimes cruise right there it came off. Yes I know that's a fast cruise speed but hey it's Eastern New Mexico, West Texas out here. It's almost legal and for sure normal.

Great tire for $108 delivered. Never had any problems with it.

Another Activ was installed.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Update on the Pilot Activ tire installed 6-21-2014, tire is still doing great. 23,350 miles and I tried something I've been wanting to do today. The tire was starting the scallop vibration bit so I took the tire off and turn it around the other direction. I just did that today so have only rode 30 miles but it appears to be worth the trouble. This tire and the last still had plenty of tread but the scalloping was causing handle bar vibration at speed.

After the flip the vibration is practically gone (except at 45 mph). I'll be sure to update here if my opinion changes on the success of this "flip"

FYI if the vibration stays low I think I'll easily get another 10,000 (33,000 total) miles out of this tire.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...up here in Canada the Highway Traffic Act clearly states any Vehicle running both Bias Ply and Radial Ply Tires at same time is subject to a $1,600 Dollar fine and immediately towed.
Just a minor clarification to Ron's statement above: Generally speaking, vehicle regulation is a provincial matter here in Canada, not a federal matter (there are federal regulations that govern construction of new vehicles, but once a vehicle is put on the road, it's then regulated by the provinces).

Forum member BRKA13 posted a link (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900625_e.htm) to the Province of Ontario regulation that prohibits radials on the front and bias on the back. The wording of this particular regulation addresses 'vehicles', which would encompass motorcycles, but the regulation is not specific to motorcycles.

Having said all that, I think it is very unlikely that any visitor to Ontario would be at risk of enforcement action if their motorcycle was in violation of the above rule, most especially when we consider the average demographic of ST riders... we're generally not the kind of people that police officers or road safety people pay much attention to, unless we're speeding, in which case all the police officer is likely to do is give us a speeding ticket.

Michael

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Update on the Pilot Activ tire installed 6-21-2014, tire is still doing great. 23,350 miles and I tried something I've been wanting to do today. The tire was starting the scallop vibration bit so I took the tire off and turn it around the other direction. I just did that today so have only rode 30 miles but it appears to be worth the trouble. This tire and the last still had plenty of tread but the scalloping was causing handle bar vibration at speed.

After the flip the vibration is practically gone (except at 45 mph). I'll be sure to update here if my opinion changes on the success of this "flip"

FYI if the vibration stays low I think I'll easily get another 10,000 (33,000 total) miles out of this tire.
Just to update, I did make it to 33,000 on this front tire. The last 5,000 were not that good. Lot's of handlebar shake from the scallops. No letting go of the bar with both hands or it will shake and at any speed from 40 to 70. It still has many miles of tread left but but it's just too shaky.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I only got 14600 out of my BTX. I got it swapped out at NatSToc for ...something. I have just under 10K on that one, same deal already...plenty left but shaky shaky. I think I have other issues though. Going to get the fork brace I think.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I only got 14600 out of my BTX. I got it swapped out at NatSToc for ...something. I have just under 10K on that one, same deal already...plenty left but shaky shaky. I think I have other issues though. Going to get the fork brace I think.
How are your steering head bearings?

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
How are your steering head bearings?
damnit!!! THAT'S what I was going to order today until work got in my way and distracted me!!! I think i could use a new set... there's that tell tale leaky stuff with the hard dust all over it...

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I've found the best air pressures for me are 45 on the front BT-45 and 30 on the GYTT rear. I'm a bit surprised with the need to go up to 45 on the front but that seems to feel the best for me.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
How did that new tire work out for you?

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
The Pilot Active.... meh. I have another BTX in the garage waiting to go on. Soon...very soon.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I only got about 20K from my Pilot Activ. Still plenty of tread left in the middle, but I wore the sides down so the tire was more of a "V", instead of a "U".
I still liked it better than the BT-45, though.

Top Bottom