Anyone tried a Kaoko cruise control?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Too much money for a throttle lock when you can get a real electronic cruise control for under $100.

Ray

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I saw the same article in CW, called the vendor, and found out that they had a unit to fit the ST1300 (although it wasn't listed on the web site at the time.) It's about the same price as a Throttlemeister (quality costs...) There's a small cog-shaped wheel inboard of the bar weight that locks the throttle, easy to operate with a pinky finger but doesn't get in the way. The unit looks good on the bike, works well, and was easy to install. (Getting the OEM bar weight anchor out was only moderately difficult.) The people at Adventure Motostuff were knowledgeable and very helpful. I'd recommend them, and the Kaoko lock.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: kaoko?

Haven't seen that one. Yup, similar to TM. TM appears to have more parts to it than this one.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

I have one. The cog-shaped ring lets me engage it with my pinky finger, while holding the throttle normally. It's very well made, and installation was easy. I got mine from Adventure MotoStuff (www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc); last time I looked the website didn't show the ST1300 model, but they did have it when I called. (Helpful people to work with, too.)

Last edited:
STOC #

I have one. The cog-shaped ring lets me engage it with my pinky finger, while holding the throttle normally. It's very well made, and installation was easy. I got mine from Adventure MotoStuff (www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc); last time I looked the website didn't show the ST1300 model, but they did have it when I called. (Helpful people to work with, too.)
Does it match the oem piece thats removed? Is the weight comparable? I really like the look of the TM but this looks a much simpler yet effective design.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

I think it looks at home on the bike. The "new" bar-end weight looks like the OEM, and I think that the weight is comparable to the stock weight that's removed. A lot of people who have seen my bike probably haven't noticed it because the whole thing looks like it belongs on the bike.

STOC #

I think it looks at home on the bike. The "new" bar-end weight looks like the OEM, and I think that the weight is comparable to the stock weight that's removed. A lot of people who have seen my bike probably haven't noticed it because the whole thing looks like it belongs on the bike.
Good info, Thats exactly what I was hoping for. I like farkles best when they blend in or compliment my ST, Don't care much for things that stand out as obvious add-ons. Thanks.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #

I just bought one KAOKO off ebay ,advworkshop and Nice people and shipped fast . Took longer to find small screwdrivers than to install .
I have only used it a few times and I like it as I dont have graceful fingers and the knurled knob seems easy enough. I didnt want to get the smooth TM as I am not that great with my little pinky

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
I also ordered one as I dont want more moving parts to go worng go wrong like a audiovox CC I just wanted something to hold the throttle for a short time so I could move . I chose the kaoko because of the color and the cog shape (easy to move) and it works real simple process. nothing to go worng and a 5 min install I also purchased mine through Adventure motostuff and it was here in a couple of days

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #

I have a similar knurled ring that fits over the bar end of the TM. Machined aluminum. Found it on ebay. Works great.

Bill

I have just put one on my ST and it works a treat. I only want to give my hand a rest on the boreing bits and do not need a cruise control so it is ideal for me.

It is very well made, simple in design and use and works as advertised. There is nothing to wear out, stuff up or corrode and took me under 5 minutes to install and adjust. It suits me perfectly and in my opinion is streets ahead of the throttlemeister.

If you subscribe to the KISS principal you will love it. If you are a farkle king you will go for the full on cruise control anyway, so it is really down to personal preference.

Regards

MG

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
A guy I work with has had both the TM and the Kaoko and likes the Kaoko lots better for many of the reasons already covered here.

(Threads merged, BTW)

--Mark

Last edited:
Bike
ST and K1600
I had to take the bike to my motorcycle shop to get the weight out. They also tried with needle nose pliers before giving up and getting some kind of cheater-like pull that popped it out. There's no way I could have gotten that out on my own. I'm very happy with the Kaoko, works great. Just know that it's not simple to install, at least not on my bike.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
You can use the bolt from the OEM bar end weight to get the old handlebar insert out. I clamped a pair of visegrips to mine, and used a fairly large hammer to rap on the visegrips. (It feels good to whack something troublesome every now and then...)

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
Yeah, getting the old stuff out seems to be either a breeze or frustratingly difficult; I guess there's no middle ground with these things!

Top Bottom