Anyone tried a Kaoko cruise control?

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
I don't have one of these, but exactly what do you have to take out from inside the throttle grip? I am thinking about getting one soon. Thanks..

Ride safe... :03biker:

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300

That's the piece that will come out, I put the long bolt back in to show how it will be sitting inside the throttle tube. You have to pinch those clip ends inward and pull it out, which causes some issues for some folks.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I bought one the last time Punk set up a group buy. Having owned a Throttlemeister and a Kaoko, I can say with 123% certainty that Kaoko blows the TM out of the water.

Easier to install, easier to use, and easier to adjust. Also, there's no gradual slippage like the TM had. It locks better.

And, I prefer a throttle lock to a cruise for those exact reasons I just mentioned. I don't have the time or inclination to tear apart my ST for an electronic cruise. The Kaoko was easy, simple and works

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the reply PR and especially for the picture. How exactly do you pinch those clip ends inward while they are inside that narrow tube? I hope there is detailed instructions with it..

Ride safe... :03biker:

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
I used two long jewelers type of flathead screwdrivers. I sort of held them both down with one hand and had a vice grip locked down on the nut end and I beat it/pulled it with the other. Mine came out pretty easy but I have heard tales of people chewing the handle bar in half trying to get the little bar out!

Yeah, that's me... trying to friggin get the tube out... paid a kid next door $5 to tap on the vice grips with a hammer while I held the two clips down... nada, nothing... didn't even budge. I have no idea what I'm going to do to get it out. I guess I'll have to ride over to Honda tomorrow and see if they can help me. Ugh... just spent $420 today having the top box installed and my first 600 mile service... new 2010 ST1300. I have the KAOKO on my Suzuki Bking and it was so easy to install on that bike. The ST1300 could be easier if I didn't have to get this tube out of the way first. Any ideas would be welcome...thanks, Jerry

Bike
2007 ST1300
I just installed a Kaoko on my bike last weekend and I agree, the hardest part was getting the OEM anchor out. I used three small jeweler's screwdrivers. One on each of the tabs and one in the back of the clip to get it to clear. Then I put a 8" crescent wrench on the shaft of the bolt and hit the wrench with a small hammer.

Must have looked comical, insert screwdrivers, slide crescent on, hit twice with hammer, pick up screwdrivers, insert screwdrivers, slide crescent on bolt, hit twice with hammer, pick up screwdrivers...

Took me better than 20 minutes to get the anchor out. 18 to figure out the correct placement of the screwdrivers and 2 hammer out the anchor. And then 5 minutes to put the Kaoko on, adjust the allen set screw so it's on the under side of the bar at idle.

Tip on the screwdriver placement...Think of the retaining clip as a circle with part of it missing. So it looks like the letter C. When you spring the clip from two sides at the tab points, the back of the C tend to elongate and catch the lip. The third screwdriver was for that part. Once I got the entire clip visibly free of the retaining ring, it cleared it with one whack of the hammer. From there it was just a series of small taps to get it the rest of the way out.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis... I know based on the posts here that this is possible to do... thanks for the reassurance... right now though, definitely feels like mission impossible.

Unfortunately, the local dealer is swamped with work and can't fit me in. If I just had 2 more sets of hands that were more skilled than the ones attached to my arms... ;-)

By the way, I have no earthly idea how you are applying enough leverage to those tabs using three separate screw drivers, and have the dexterity and timing to then get the wrench on the bolt and ALSO tap on it with a hammer... man, you must be a violinist.

I'll get it eventually... Regards, Jerry

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
It really helps if you are proficient with chopsticks. Go hit a Chinese buffet, have some chow, then try again.

Rick77, WD40, great idea, thanks!

Punka, thanks for the chuckle! I'm still in awe of anyone who pulls this off as a one man band...

Jerry

Happy to report, my Kaoko is now fully installed. Sadly, I had to get the dealer to remove the insert, but it was a no charge deal... I liked that. Funny how it took me under 2 minutes to do the rest of the job. I'm sure I'll love it... you ask why do I use the future tense? Well, one of the reasons I had my new 2010 ST1300 in the shop is because the battery is defective. So, they wanted to do some trouble shooting to make sure it's just the battery. Apparently, they installed a new battery today after giving it a fully charge, and they'll check it tomorrow to see if anything weird is happening in terms of a battery drain. I had them install my David Silver top box and they're wondering if somehow it's drawing from the battery. I doubt it... I bet I just got a defective battery 3 weeks ago. Anyway, heading up to Scottsdale tomorrow, if all is well, to pick it up and try my cruise control home! After that, just have to get my wife on it at another shop to have them set the suspension settings with the paniers and top box at manufacturer's weight. After that, hopefully, it'll be some good times on the bike. Course, I have another bike that's for solo riding...but, this one will enable me to involve the Mrs.... Happy Mrs, Happy Life... no, not quite right...Oh, yeah, Happy Wife, Happy Life! :nanner1:

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
>snip<
Happy to report, my Kaoko is now fully installed. Sadly, I had to get the dealer to remove the insert, but it was a no charge deal... I liked that. Funny how it took me under 2 minutes to do the rest of the job. I'm sure I'll love it...
>endsnip<

Well........ How'd it do?

Joseph

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have installed one on my 1300 and like it. I only use it on the highway on long runs.
Easy to use and glove friendly.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Re: kaoko?

In the first reply to this thread , Ray , I believe mentioned an availability of an electronic cruise control ? For an ST1300 ? Anybody have a link to who sells them ?
Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
STOC #
"Too much money for a throttle lock when you can get a real electronic cruise control for under $100."

Ray

I know there's been a GFC all over the world, and we have to allow for inflation but 900%?

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
"Too much money for a throttle lock when you can get a real electronic cruise control for under $100."

Ray

I know there's been a GFC all over the world, and we have to allow for inflation but 900%?

Back when this thread started the Audiovox cruise control was readily available and it sold for around $100. It isn't manufactured any longer and the other "real" options are all much more expensive.

Bike
ST1300A '10
Putting the throttle lock on might take 5 min. but getting the OEM anchor
for the origional bar-end weight out, however, is apt to take more like a half
hour or more. A second set of hands would have been nice but 10-to-1
Honda has some specialized tool for pulling those suckers. Without, a nice
collection of jewelers screw drivers and needle-nose pliers will help. In the
end I just bent the tabs, grabbed them with the pliers and ripped them out.
You then can pull the 6" anchor out by the bolt, rubber washers and all.
'More of a production than I would have thought but a nice piece and well
worth the effort.

Top Bottom