Are Harley's Hot Bikes?

Bike
2010 ST1300
We have had quite a few threads about the heat of some ST's. Harley's have two huge air cooled cylinders sitting just below and in front of the rider with no fairing. If a Harley is ridden on a hot day on back roads (i.e. pushed, shifting and accelerating) where does that heat go? Straight back or does it roast the riders drum sticks?

I remember riding a Guzzi on cool days and reaching down behind the cylinder for some warm air to take the chill out of cold fingers. Harley riders have to feel some heat. How about when stopping at a light on a hot day in downtown Sturgis?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Its all relative I guess.
Folks here think 98 to 130 near the tank is so unbearable that they can't stand to ride it, where as HD's run around 200 and up at the rear cylinder, which is right by the boys, with nothing between you and the engine etc.
I don't mind the heat from either.
You've got to be tuff to live in the Old Pueblo ;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Some HD Riding Academy students (think MSF Basic RiderCourse, branded for Harley) complain of the heat from the HD Street 500, a V-twin 500cc bike used for training.
Bear in mind, many of these students have never ridden a motorcycle before.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Don't some Harleys have the feature that shuts down the rear cylinder, when idling in hot weather?

STOC #
My Indian Chief has a 116 cu air cooled engine with rear cylinder deactivation. The heat hasn't bothered me this summer any more than when riding my ST. It does heat up my AC cooled garage after a ride.

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Both of the Sportsters I had would get your legs hot - especially on a hot day when stopped, and especially the '99 Sportster Sport. The older Buell (S3T) I had would absolutely cook you on a hot day even with an oil cooler, definitely don't miss that!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Rode yesterday with some newer Harley's and I noticed an hot oil smell coming from some of them. It was about 93 degrees and we were going at a snails pace through road construction. I think it's facinating that we can ride motorcycles at all. I mean just think of it.....on our ST's we are sitting on top or close to the motor. Next we are about 3 feet from a radiator that has an air flow that is rearward dumping the heat back at us. Then the fan comes on and blows all that hot air back at you exiting the fairing exit holes. As far as Harley's that rear jug is a heat sink and yeah you feel it but to be truthful I feel it somewhat on my 1100 at 90F.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I would think the difference is that the open air Harley motor can dissipate heat in all directions. The plastic wrapped motor of the ST only has so many outlets for the superheated air. And when that air gets trapped up by your jewels it just radiates out through any gaps or even through the plastic itself.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just for your information Mr. Dwalby, one of my Road Kings had 342,000 miles on it when I sold it, and the guy I sold it to is still riding it :well1:
I guess its just how you take care of them.
My 1956 KHK Model Sportster had over 100,000 miles on it, and was my daily rider for many years when I first lived in Arizona, and I worked a whole lot less on it, than I have my ST1300 :rolleyes:
:WCP1:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I guess its just how you take care of them.
Do you know how to take care of bikes?
Gee.
Who knew?
/end of sarcasm
But seriously, folks. We're extremely fortunate to have @Igofar and others (almost like him, even tho we know there can be no one like him) available to us all.
I appreciate you guys.
In all seriousness.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Known as the RD500LC here in the states....
On the one I got to ride a while back, I didn't notice any heat at all.....as I was too distracted by the insanely abrupt powerband to notice any heat o_O

Top Bottom