Are ST1300s a mixed bag or are they sliced bread?

STOC #
Super reliable, end of story. Some body plastics may be difficult to replace, but good availability of parts otherwise.
Indeed. Forums can give a skewed view of dependability; for every problem you read there are thousands of STs out there without trouble. Mine has been rock solid as well. As far as handling, it's not a MotoGP bike but among sports tourers it's as good as any. The FJR rivals it but I never could go as long and far in a day on my '03 FJR as I can on the ST, and I was younger then. The Honda is a great secret among touring motorcyclists.

OP
OP
Bike
GW250.
I browsed articles for an hour or so. The SMC Rebuild thread had me horrified.

I have had linked brakes on an 86 Goldwing Aspencade, a 2002 Silverwing (scooter),
and a pair of 2003 Suzuki Burgman 400s. I vaguely recall flushing/cleaning & bleeding all the
lines/calipers & replacing pads, but I don't recall any serious nightmares.

The ST1300's system is maybe more complicated and has me concerned.
Apart from working on it being a pain, having the rear brake drag while far from home could also be a pain.
Should I simply plan to buy and install a new SMC just in case?

Thanks.

Southeast Arizona? Heck, you’re close enough to come get one of mine and know you’re getting a good ST.

Bike
VStrom 650

I have had linked brakes on an 86 Goldwing Aspencade, a 2002 Silverwing (scooter),
and a pair of 2003 Suzuki Burgman 400s. I vaguely recall flushing/cleaning & bleeding all the

Apart from working on it being a pain, having the rear brake drag while far from home could also be a pain.

Thanks.
If your only concern is the SMC, buy one, take it to Larry. Sorted. No drama and it'll be good for years if maintained afterwards. I think you're worrying about nothing fella. The solution is real easy.
If you can't get past the SMC in ya head, look elsewhere.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I live in Podunk where an 06 ST1300 has come up for sale. There are few interesting bikes
that ever hit the classifieds around here and I only have until the weekend before I have to view
and possibly commit to buying it. The price is about $1K lower than most that I see anywhere
and the mileage is under 35K. Photos look okay & the guy only put a few hundred miles on it before
his wife made him sell it. Sounds odd. It is hella hot here this time of year, so maybe he took her
riding and she, the wife, overheated with the engine & the fairings. I will pry a bit when I view the bike.

Anyway, my concerns are two-fold. I read some owner reviews from Europe and the US that say
their bikes have over 100K and zero issues. Then I read the occasional posts on here, owners with
bikes that that have well under 30K miles and have leaks, thermostat problems, I think maybe a bad water pump.
Are the vast majority of the ST1300s (2006) stone-axe reliable or not?

Secondly, my other two bikes have given me problems getting parts with the world supply chain
issues. One is an OEM part and the other is a German made aftermarket part. Are there reports
of ST1300 OEM parts that are difficult to find or are no longer being made? I don't want to have
to search junk yards to get parts.

(Me, I won't be riding this in the heat. I will wait for a different time of year and cool parts of days, so
that aspect doesn't worry me.)

Thank you.
These bikes, by themselves, are very trouble free when properly maintained....oil, filters, hydraulic fluid changes, coolant.... They are aging machines and their 'troublesome' issues will be age related, even they have been diligently serviced by the po. Hoses of all three sorts and connections, mostly. Electrical is complex will be problematic if the po didn't keep it clean under the plasticwork....corroded grounds, loose connectors (arcing), chafing wires, etc.
That little warning aside, many owners DO make 100k plus with no major issues at all. I have two, a 1991 ST1100 and a 2006 ST1300. Wonderful bikes that require less attention than many Hondas I have owned in the past.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Per the SMC, I bought one and have it on hand in case I need it - so far I haven't. I would definitely plan on replacing the brake fluid (and all other fluids) when you get the bike. Removing the plastic can take a while to get used to, but if you follow the procedure in the factory service manual, isn't bad. I do all my maintenance in the winter so I only have to remove the plastic once a year. As far as the tires being 5-6 years old, depending on the tread, if the bike was stored indoors, you should be okay to run them until they wear out IMO. It's a heavy, powerful bike and the tires don't last that long depending how you ride. I usually get 7 - 8k miles. It could be a negotiation point depending on how the bike is priced.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Go to Articles and look for the Tupperware Worksheet. Print it out. This helps you organize the fasteners when you take the fairing off.
SMC - yes there is a rebuilding thread, but more guys have tried and failed than have successfully rebuilt them. IIRC, Larry suggests you just replace it and save the hassle - not only rebuilding but bleeding the system a couple of times (this is one procedure that becomes easier after you have done it a few times).

The tire ageing video takeaway is if you are buying new tires, age is less important (from a reliable vendor). If you are buying a bike with no maintenance records or knowledge how it was maintained, stored, or used, 5 - 6 years does it for me. YMMV.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are ST1300s a mixed bag or are they sliced bread? Test

Both depending on the metrics that concern you. It's a fine but not great tourer lacking the amenities of that class. It's an —ok— sport bike if you're not an aggressive sport bike rider. It is a great compromise of the two if you can live with that. A whole lot of riders here are happy while a few have moved on.

As far as mechanical failures for low mileage STs goes I'd hazard that most of those are user/maintenance related. And since it's a man-mechanical device some low mileage failures are no doubt caused by factory defects or poor dealer set up. That's probably a very small percentage.

Among people who know the line the STs are legendary for being bullet proof but they're not a maintenance free machine. Change fluids when you should using factory recommended stuff and you'll be all right (as opposed to alright).

But the line is long in the tooth and 2012 ST1300A was the last US model year. The ST1300PA police version ran 'till 2016 IIRC and many of those parts will fit the A. But some of the accessories are definitely hen's teeth now. If you get a solid bike now proper care and feeding should keep you in good stead for a long time. Bend the bike and it could get pricey.

You'd do well to learn to do what you can in maintenance and repair as some dealers haven't ever seen an ST in their shop and they and others might be of the 'stwo chimps beating a transmission with sticks' caliber. Not that all are but there have been many a horror story about dealer repairs so it's something to keep in mind.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm on my second 1300 from new. Personally, I love it. It suits me completely. We do lots of two up touring, it is reliable, needs much less work and part replacement than my previous 1100s (which I also loved), and I can work on it myself. I don't want to go racing around the roads at breakneck speeds. I want to enjoy a good pace on good roads with great scenery. Many can hustle the ST1300 faster than I do. So can I, up to a point. But that isn't what makes a brilliant ride for me. That just makes it finish sooner.

I keep looking, but I haven't found another bike that ticks all of the boxes for me. But it is completely a matter of personal opinion.

I remember sitting on one in 2002. I hated it. The riding position was all wrong for me. We bought another 1100 ABC CBS TCS
I test rode a 1300 in 2005. This felt much better - this one had risers. It still seemed a bit quick steering and twitchy after the 1100. The engine rattled too. So I did some research.......

I bought my first in 2007. I loved it and we had a 2000 mile tour in Spain just after running it in.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Thanks.
Where is this bike at that your considering purchasing?
Private party or dealership?
I’m in Tucson, and may be able to assist you inspect it before purchase, however, I will warn you, I will point out several things that will probably need to be addressed.
That’s not a bad thing, as you will know what needs to be done, and know that it’s done correctly.
If you do purchase it, you may also consider a short trip to visit me, so we can sort out any issues it may have, and teach you how to service it yourself.
There are many good ones available, don’t be afraid to walk away from a bad one.

OP
OP
Bike
GW250.
Where is this bike at that your considering purchasing?
Private party or dealership?
I’m in Tucson, and may be able to assist you inspect it before purchase, however, I will warn you, I will point out several things that will probably need to be addressed.
That’s not a bad thing, as you will know what needs to be done, and know that it’s done correctly.
If you do purchase it, you may also consider a short trip to visit me, so we can sort out any issues it may have, and teach you how to service it yourself.
There are many good ones available, don’t be afraid to walk away from a bad one.
The bike is very local, about four miles from me in Sierra Vista and a private party. He is on vacation out of town, should be back by Monday. He said it has no issues so we'll see. It has no ABS, so it has that going for it--no ECU/ECM issue, right? And I think I could now test for obvious brake dragging issues on a test ride. With his insistence that he hold the cash while I test ride, I could also take a long enough test ride guilt-free to detect obvious coolant leaks---I have a very sensitive nose. I read a bunch more forum articles and posts this morning so I am comfortably aware that your expertise, work ethic, and thoroughness might be unmatched on the planet, so I could always deliver it to your hands and relax about it being money well spent if it has any shortcomings. But we haven't actually scheduled a test ride. A few months ago, another guy in town scheduled a test ride for me on a bike, a dual-sport, he was selling, but then emailed to say it was sold a couple hours beforehand. I hope that doesn't happen again. Thank you.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
My ST1300 is indeed sliced bread. Kind of Texas Toast style with loaf of sourdough thrown in at times.

I hope that helps Any more big questions just post and holler and wait as I’m on the end of a 5,000 mile ride about.

The Black Pearl loves to roll and with 337,250+ miles on it I worry about nothing. I just ride.

31DAC4EF-495E-433B-A166-A593C8E6E990.jpeg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It has no ABS, so it has that going for it--no ECU/ECM issue, right?
No.
ABS aside, 2007 and earlier models years have a higher ECM failure rate than 2008 and later. Fault code 25/26, knock sensor system, rears it's head. Overwhelmingly there is no known reason that can be diagnosed, and the only permanent fix is to replace the ECM. There is no way that I am aware of to know which one will be afflicted and which won't. Many 2007 and earlier never develop this problem.

Learn how to check for and read the fault codes before you go for the test ride. Check to see if any fault codes are stored in the ECM before the test ride. If there are, note their numbers and then clear them. During your test ride, after the engine has reached full operating temperature, go for an extended ride at highway speeds where you can maintain an engine RPM above 4,000 for at least 15 consecutive seconds, preferably 30. These are the common conditions that set off code 25/26 when the ECM has this defect. Even if you do this test and did not see the FI light illuminate, or did not notice any power loss or change in engine behavior, I would still check for fault codes again at the end of the test ride.

While you are there, check the LCD display on the right-hand side of the dash to make sure that all of the LED segments work.

Also ask the seller if the fuel gauge works properly.
i.e.
Does it go from three bars straight to one bar flashing and never displays two bars, or does it go three, two, then flashing one like it should.

With the exception of a defective ECM, these are minor issues. Knowing about their existence can work in your favour during negotiations however.

Good luck!

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I rode my 05 ST1300 everyday in Houston traffic... 80 miles round trip to work and back. Yeah, summers were brutal, but heat from the ST were marginal at best. I used Mobil1 15w50 which at the time was a viscosity recommended rating in the owners manual for the weather I rode in... it helped with heat and a much better shifting experience.

My bike never saw the dealer in the 18 months I owned it for flaw or problem (bumped up to a Wing, which was "the thing" being a Moderator at the time :rofl1: )... except to repair it after I was hit 2 weeks after purchase.

It's a Honda! :biggrin:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I don’t know what your looking for, but I just saw this one at one of the local stealers.
I just walked by it, and know nothing about it other than it had a nice seat, and a Corbin smuggler on it.
Low miles, late model, fair price,
Would probably need clutch and brake service stuff.

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
GW250.
I was hesitant to post the link to the ad, was worried about a higher bidder beating me out.
But here it is:

We emailed a bit after I first contacted him. He had little additional info. He had bought it from
a Tucson owner who also didn't ride it much, and before that it had lived many years in Sierra Vista.
(Sierra Vista is a bit over an hour from Tucson & Igofar.)

I would guess it hasn't had a thorough servicing in at least six years, prior to the tires. I may never know.

Top Bottom