Are ST1300s a mixed bag or are they sliced bread?

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I was hesitant to post the link to the ad, was worried about a higher bidder beating me out.
But here it is:

We emailed a bit after I first contacted him. He had little additional info. He had bought it from
a Tucson owner who also didn't ride it much, and before that it had lived many years in Sierra Vista.
(Sierra Vista is a bit over an hour from Tucson & Igofar.)

I would guess it hasn't had a thorough servicing in at least six years, prior to the tires. I may never know.
Why haven't you bought this already?!? It's been listed for going on three weeks. Make him an offer and let him keep the manual. Take it by @Igofar and let him get it in order for you. You'll still be in it at a very nice price.

I'd stay clear of the cheaper police bike; too many horror stories on them. Also, you will always find a bike for less than the one you buy if you keep looking. As long as you're satisfied with the deal you make you win.

OP
OP
Bike
GW250.
Why haven't you bought this already?!? It's been listed for going on three weeks. Make him an offer and let him keep the manual. Take it by @Igofar and let him get it in order for you. You'll still be in it at a very nice price.

I'd stay clear of the cheaper police bike; too many horror stories on them. Also, you will always find a bike for less than the one you buy if you keep looking. As long as you're satisfied with the deal you make you win.
I didn't see it, wasn't looking for one until about a week ago. I asked to see it & that is when he said he was leaving for vacation.
I will have to do a forum search on "police bike", see what turns up. I wasn't really thinking about one of those--I don't like the hump!

Bike
2009 ST1300
or, show the world that... you're done, you've just given up and buy a leaf! I hear they get great gas milage, you'll be able to brag in the back yard, you know, with your so called friends and ____, [the old joke was a taurus, which really wasn't really a bad car].
Hope it all works out

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd be looking at the low mileage 2010 model in Larry's post, rather than the 2006.

What was it that changed that warranted a new model number in 2010 ? (Looking at the 10th character in the VIN). In the Uk the A9 model stayed in place until 2014 when the AE was brought out.

Ive owned the A6 and the A9 models from new. I loved the A6, but I wouldn't buy another having owned the A9. The engine has so much more power when climbing slow, steep inclines, and it doesn't rattle (preignition) when hot and under load. Much better with E10 fuel than the A6 too.

OP
OP
Bike
GW250.
I'd be looking at the low mileage 2010 model in Larry's post, rather than the 2006.
<snip>
$9K is too expensive for me. I have about $12K in another bike that I want to keep. I don't want to be that committed to an ST1300.
But it is interesting that the later model gained so much more power. Unfortunately, I'll never experience it...

OP
OP
Bike
GW250.
Hi all. I figure it would only be good manners to close this thread out properly with a conclusion.
I didn't buy that ST1300. I decided to not even look at that ST1300. It had gone at least six years
with no maintenance and was pretty old for such a complex bike. If Honda had only stuck on normal
brakes--not linked or not linked in such a complicated way--I would have taken a longer look. And 2006
is pretty old in my humble opinion for such a complicated bike. Were it newer (but affordable!), it would
be great for long rides and long days. Since I'm retired, I suppose I should just plan on shorter days
with the bike I have. (It is a naked sport standard.)
Thank you to everybody that contributed to the thread. This seems like an extra special bunch, sharp
& helpful.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Go to Articles and look for the Tupperware Worksheet. Print it out. This helps you organize the fasteners when you take the fairing off.
SMC - yes there is a rebuilding thread, but more guys have tried and failed than have successfully rebuilt them. IIRC, Larry suggests you just replace it and save the hassle - not only rebuilding but bleeding the system a couple of times (this is one procedure that becomes easier after you have done it a few times).

The tire ageing video takeaway is if you are buying new tires, age is less important (from a reliable vendor). If you are buying a bike with no maintenance records or knowledge how it was maintained, stored, or used, 5 - 6 years does it for me. YMMV.
When I bought my first ST1300, in 2010, a used 2006, I purchased one of those little plastic boxes with all the small compartments, duly labeled for all the Tupperware, and other parts. These days I put all the parts in one pile. Daunting at first, but like most things in life, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013

Once you buy it, stop checking prices!!

Top Bottom