Auxiliary Driving Lights

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had a pair of advmonster.com's M50 driving lights mounted down low on the fork legs on my ST and now on my VStrom. Friends have said that these and the headlights make a very bright triangle of light during daylight. Now one of my m50's has died and of course, advmonster says they are unavailable (besides increasing the price from around $70/pair to $80 each. I've looked and looked - amazon, ebay google (2 inch driving (spot) light for motorcycle) and not found anything remotely close in either price or looks. I like the simple and uncluttered look - no flashy cast fins or squared off shape, please. I want a spot and don't want to spend 3 or 400 $$$ on a 2" light. Here's advmonster's website:

Any suggestions?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I believe ADVMonsters lights are just ebay lights with complete wiring harnesses and better mounting hardware, as I've seen some of their lights online at a much lower cost. True, they could just be knock-offs, but I'm guessing they are not. You could do some digging online if you have the time and inkling and find a light likely the exact same, but likely on has bare pigtails on a short wire from the bulb vs a more finished fixture like you have now.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The OP was replacing his old lights so he should be able to use the original wiring with out issue.
The nice thing about the Zoom lights is that they are extremely small and very lite. The front fork tubes in our case move.
This puts a lot less stress on a plastic mounting location that is constantly bouncing.
This light is bright enough. At 18 feet it measures 500 lux each at 15 watts narrow fog/passing pattern.
The bigger 2.5 inch LED is 650 lux at 25 watts spot driving pattern but much heavier.
Silicon glue will seal the wire hole and I might find a reflector for that extra vacant hole on the side....
Also the wire is 3 feet long.

microLEDfog.jpg

Oh I forgot to add that if you wire up the red wire (white fog) to the running lights then just put the switch on the yellow wire (yellow conspicuity).
When you turn on the yellow the white will turn off. does not work the other way.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
I picked up a pair of these lights on Amazon. They're only single LED but high wattage. The reflector provides a concentrated spot beam a 1000 feet down the highway and a flood light swath too. I bought the Denali mounts from Twisted Throttle.

There's been a price increase in the last 2 years. Paid about $150 for the whole bundle lights, wiring harness and brackets.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The above Chelhead 25 watt single led is actually 16 watts and it has a max lux of 750 lumens at 18 feet. It is a good driving light.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Do not make the mistake to just buy the brightest light here. What is more important is how you are going to use the light and what the beam pattern is. The lux values are close enough that you will not see that difference. Look carefully at the light patterns between the three.
None of them have the best pattern.... but one will suit your purpose.

Bike
2007 ST1300
microLEDfog.jpg

Oh I forgot to add that if you wire up the red wire (white fog) to the running lights then just put the switch on the yellow wire (yellow conspicuity).
When you turn on the yellow the white will turn off. does not work the other way.
I just put a set of these on last week. Plenty bright and they held up in some nasty rain a few days after install.
I mounted them with the wire exit on the bottom though.
I really like the fork mount because in Florida there are always dark colored crawling things on the road at night and seeing them as you're turning (instead of waiting until the headlights come around far enough) can keep you out of an accident.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Low mounted fog lights do have two purposes. The one that everyone knows is for fog. But the other is that it creates shadows.
In photography we call it modeling light. The shadows improves your 3D perception of what is on the road.
Pot holes and rough surfaces will stand out better.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Low mounted fog lights do have two purposes. The one that everyone knows is for fog. But the other is that it creates shadows.
In photography we call it modeling light. The shadows improves your 3D perception of what is on the road.
Pot holes and rough surfaces will stand out better.
My bike has no troubles finding potholes. It only seems to have troubles avoiding them. :)

Bike
2004 ST1300
The above Chelhead 25 watt single led is actually 16 watts and it has a max lux of 750 lumens at 18 feet. It is a good driving light.
I'm not actually sure if these were the exact lights I purchased 2 years ago or not but close enough. I've noticed other aftermarket LED lights purchased in the past by others and they aren't very effective for -- your point -- the brightest. I did conduct some research on LEDs to select brighter diodes for the fact they provide better illumination. That's what I wanted down the highway at night. Some LEDs are bright but don't have the lumens. They are bright but the reflector is a poor design and doesn't carry the light as effectively.
I appreciate your analysis on the wattage thing but I will let you know from experience these lights are a great bang for the buck. Unlike paying $500 for an almost identical pair from Denali.
My 2 cents.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I spent some time, as well, looking for the best low cost 2 to 3 inch lights for driving, passing, and fog.
I can not see spending a bunch of money for a light that I know is not any better.
I like the 3 inch driving light that I am now using, and I gave a similar lower cost option.
better passing and fogs I am still looking for, but I am using the 1.3 inch lights for now.
story here:

driving vs passing lights

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I got my zmoon harness today. Pondering switch placement. Is it possible to use the high beam circuit instead? I haven’t received the fork lights Yet.
A85F620A-C527-4280-95FD-72BC9255A2DF.jpeg

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Plus 1 on the Zmoons. I put them on last year and they help to see and be seen. I had them wired for highbeam and fog, but the highbeam was to to bright as a driving light with traffic at night. I could see people put their hands up to block the mirrors as I approached. I left them on fog. I just added a hi-lo light to see if it will be all I need (wishful thinking). Love having the police switch to control it all.

4BC1318D-1F01-4A54-8870-3D4DC9B55D76.jpeg81884995-9CD0-434B-A17F-13F1F1C9E444.jpeg

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Will:
I really like the 4 inch dual beam light that you have. It is on my list to eventually try out.
I have not done so because I was focusing on 2 to 3 inch lights. Weight is not listed.
But one 4 inch might be simpler than a pair of 3 inchers....
The two things I would need to know is how clean and sharp the cutoff is and the peak lux at 18 feet.
Just let us know how it works out for you.

edit:
I looked online at the video and saw that the top cutoff was soft, the bottom looked better.
This is not a hard fail because I might be able to fix that and it might not be a real problem.
I have been tweeking some other lights that I have that have this issue.
Just trying to find something that works clean out of the box......

Again just let us know how you like it.

Last edited:
Bike
2014 CTX1300a
Nice lights, odd sidecar. Is the amber a lens or do the leds change color.

• Haha
Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom