Auxiliary Driving Lights

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Look at these.

2.5 inch driving lights

or these better for fork mount... 1.3 inches I am going to put theses on my forks.
I will mount them upside down so I can use the white for night mode and yellow for day mode....

1.3 inch fork lights -small
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime on a set of lights that didn't list what the lumen output of the lights are. Clearwater lights are the gold standard, and yes, they take a lot of your gold.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime on a set of lights that didn't list what the lumen output of the lights are. Clearwater lights are the gold standard, and yes, they take a lot of your gold.
The thing with Amazon is that you can return products easily if not happy and at no cost.
Beside that, the technology has evolved so much and many competitor are using essentially the same LEDs and sub components, why not trying them and let us know?
The most difficult part is to find good brackets at an affordable price and fitting the ST, very little choice there.
Any ideas?

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
The thing with Amazon is that you can return products easily if not happy and at no cost.
Beside that, the technology has evolved so much and many competitor are using essentially the same LEDs and sub components, why not trying them and let us know?
The most difficult part is to find good brackets at an affordable price and fitting the ST, very little choice there.
Any ideas?
zmoon 1.3 lights came with versatile brackets.
D20DEEEC-4761-4754-B118-5984D1274EAD.jpeg
The wiring harness in the 4th post is overkill for these tiny lights, so I should be able to swap these lights for serious photon cannons if I decide to.
The switches supplied are not suitable for motorcycles.
I used the hi and low relays for switching instead.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My bike was purchased from a retired cardiologist who had more money than he knew what to do with. He installed Clearwater lights on it. There's no way I'd ever do that.

I had ADVMonster Model 30 lights on two previous bikes. The cost was $40 for each light. I don't remember the light output numbers but it was about as much as a halogen car headlight. Anyway, the lights worked perfectly and the finish looked great the entire time they were on the bike.

The Clearwater lights on my current bike look cheap in comparison. The finish is gone in places and the paint has flaked off, leaving corroded aluminum underneath. Instead of calling them the "gold standard", IMHO, I'd say it was the "fool's gold" standard.

Chris

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I wouldn't spend a dime on a set of lights that didn't list what the lumen output
Most lumen, lux or power data posted by light vendors are useless. You can not judge a light on a single number.
light disperses in three dimensions not two. None of them have the best most useful beam pattern.
So we have to mix and match to get close to what we need.
Day time almost anything will work. Night time needs careful attention to details and rules.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Day time almost anything will work. Night time needs careful attention to details and rules.
One consideration most people don't think about, is what will I use the lights for? If you ride like I did in a lot of traffic in the dark, you don't want a "flood" light beam. If you ride in rural areas and don't encounter many other drivers, a flood light beam will work great to illumine the road and the bushes where night time critters lurk.

The Model 30 I mentioned above had a 10 degree spot beam. I mounted them high under the mirrors on my NT700 so they aimed both out and down. I was able to position them at the far end of my low-beam halogen light beam pattern without blinding anyone in the lanes next to me. I used them primarily in the HOV lane on my commute.

The Clearwater lights I have on this bike were mounted on the forks. I get the nice triangular effect...but they are useless at night where I ride. To much traffic. With them being mounted low, they are great for conspicuity and would be great in backwoods riding. But in the high traffic areas of Seattle...they have to be dimmed virtually all the way. The only way to aim a light mounted that low is out.

Chris

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
zmoon 1.3 lights came with versatile brackets.
D20DEEEC-4761-4754-B118-5984D1274EAD.jpeg
The wiring harness in the 4th post is overkill for these tiny lights, so I should be able to swap these lights for serious photon cannons if I decide to.
The switches supplied are not suitable for motorcycles.
I used the hi and low relays for switching instead.
The brackets on the front fender bolts are the easy way to go but they put a lot of stress on the plastic eyelets.
Mines are already damaged.
The height is good for "fog lights", I agree, but not really adapted for "spots lights".
I had in the past some 3D printed bracket behind the mirrors and they were causing vibrations and also blocked the full adjustment of the mirrors.
Beside the pricey Denali brackets there is not so much choice.
I am still looking for a good option and I am going to try these if there is enough room to fit them under the fender.
Any ideas?

fork brackets.jpg

Last edited:

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
There is a rubber bushing between the fender and bracket. Maybe with a sleeve and additional bushing will help with any stress. My 1st time mounting there, I’ll keep watching.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Aux lights in Australia are identified as:
- Daytime running lights - to help other drivers see you in the day. Bright short distance spread. I have these mounted on my front forks, just in front of the orange reflector (terrific!) and just
40 mm diameter (see photograph).
- Fog lights - fog!
- Driving lights, spot and/or spread - night touring at speed

.Stedi - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
A generic clamp for mounting things on accessible tubes is a Minerallac strap, used in electrical work, available in different sizes, and in stainless steel if desired. There are also plumbing standoffs that can be adapted.

When I mounted a Vetter Rooster on my Nighthawk, I used two Minerallac straps to mount the Honda front turn signals on the upper fork tubes. I added a washer as a spacer to make sure the wires weren't pinched.

You should be able to see the left signal clamped to the fork tube in the second picture below, and how the bike looks, or I should say looked from the front in the third. Clicking on them should make them bigger.

1649640454753.png 1649639809965.png 1649640310238.png

Top Bottom