Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Byron

STOC #
Well looking at tires again and I noted that Avon has come out with a new version of the Storm ST, the Storm 2 Ultra.

I haven't been able to locate any price info or find anyone that has them yet but I'm going to give them a try. They claim to have a 12% improvement in wear from the Storm ST.

Seems the lawyers still have Avon by the, well you get the point, because they still don't show ANY fitment for the ST1300.

I'm going to try them them out as I liked the Storm ST they just didn't provide the mileage I wanted. With a 12% improvement the Storm 2 Ultra may fit my requirements.

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Those look very interesting. I love my current Storm's. I am going to need a new set of tires next spring, I am planning on ordering a set, when available here in the US. I think I remember Tim from Two Bros said early 2010 availability.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have started babying my rear tire the best I can :rolleyes: hoping to make it until I can get an Ultra here (US). I think I read somewhere that they are supposed to be released here in Feb. I also think I saw that they were released earlier than they were supposed to be in the UK. Hope that happens here, don't think I can make it till Feb. Maybe Tim/Two Brothers knows.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll be watching as well although 12% is just 720 extra miles at the rate I wear Storms out. I see that it is a dual compound tire. I hope it retains the extraordinary symmetrical wear pattern the AV56 the exhibits. That tire wore almost without any cupping or feathering at all.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
My understanding is that they used a single Silica compound on the Storm ST. The Storm 2 Ultra is supposed to be Multi-compound Super Rich Silica. My guess is that they are leaning toward the construction used for the Azaro ST which was supposed to be a dual compound tire. I liked the Azaro and hated when they dropped the ST1300 sizes.

Time will tell how well they do once they arrive.

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
My guess is that they are lean toward the construction used for the Azaro ST which was supposed to be a dual compound tire. I liked the Azaro and hated when they dropped the ST1300 sizes.

Sure hope that turns out to be the case. I use to use the Azaros on both my ST and VFR. They had good grip but got excellent mileage. They were a longer lasting tire than any I've ever used except for the ME880.

Just looked at the provided link and it appears that they will have it in the size I need for my '01 ST1100ABSII and my '00 VFR. Excellent!!!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I put a new STorm rear on my bike 2 weeks ago. No difference in the labeling, but I noted a very small difference in the tread pattern. I wonder.....
You would know..... I took pictures of my new front.... I haven't been out on it yet but will report on it when I have.... the rear they sent was Mk1...

Here:

Attachments

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Interesting, it looks like they kept the same model number AV55. I wonder then if they are going to phase out the regular Storm ST and replace with the Storm ST 2 Ultra? Why would then not change the model if that wasn't the plan.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'll try'em when the time comes. STick has a fresh (1000 miles) storm on the front and prolly the last Azoro in captivity on the rear. I have a new storm rear waiting in the wings but this new one will be my next Avon order.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
A little blurb in the December issue I Rider Magazine indicates the Ultras are a 3-compound tire (at least in the rear). Medium compound in the center with softer compound at either side and a third compound tying them together. The rest of the description sounds like the current Storm configuration.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
A little blurb in the December issue I Rider Magazine indicates the Ultras are a 3-compound tire (at least in the rear). Medium compound in the center with softer compound at either side and a third compound tying them together. The rest of the description sounds like the current Storm configuration.
That's a lotta compounds.

Will we see a compound war like there is now a core war going on in computer chip country? "Next year's Dunlops will have five compounds, so they must be better!" :p:

I am looking forward to wearing out my current Storms, so I can try out the "2" version.

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
I spoke with the Avon North America rep at the San Mateo Cycle World show. Their display showed the Storm 2 but the brochure he gave me shows only the Storm. He said that they will know more from the manufacturer on December 1st. Though the current storms have the proper load ratings (400# front, 800# rear = 1200# total) and speed rating, the ST high speed wobble issue will never leave them. He "thinks" the Storm 2 will be ST approved but he cannot be sure. Guess we'll just have to stay tuned. I sure loved the ones I put on my 06 ST1300.

Mark-

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wish we had some measureable repeatable data on this. The one test bike that was datalogged reported a weave of some 3 to 9 degrees IIRC and not a wobble at all. The diff is important as a weave is the rear of the bike moving back and forth and a wobble is the front forks oscillating and involves the forks while a weave involves the forks in a secondary manner. My bike weaves sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. In 70,000 miles it has never wobbled. If I installed something and tested it once I might proclaim success and be bummed when the next time out it exhibited the weave. To be clear I am not talking about the happy feet the 1300 gets in dirty air but the weave that shows up above 120 or so.

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
I wish we had some measureable repeatable data on this. The one test bike that was datalogged reported a weave of some 3 to 9 degrees IIRC and not a wobble at all. The diff is important as a weave is the rear of the bike moving back and forth and a wobble is the front forks oscillating and involves the forks while a weave involves the forks in a secondary manner. My bike weaves sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. In 70,000 miles it has never wobbled. If I installed something and tested it once I might proclaim success and be bummed when the next time out it exhibited the weave. To be clear I am not talking about the happy feet the 1300 gets in dirty air but the weave that shows up above 120 or so.
Dave, Where can I see the test data? I would like to study the test criteria. I have never had a high speed weave with either Bridgestones or Storms. Thanks.
Mark-

Top Bottom