Avon Storm 2 Ultra

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave, Where can I see the test data? I would like to study the test criteria. I have never had a high speed weave with either Bridgestones or Storms. Thanks.
Mark-
There used to be some links to the Ride magazine article online and you can find it by Googling Ride Magazine ST1300 Weave. I'll not link it here as it has been linked before and removed because of possible problems with copyright or distribution issues. I found it in the link < Stromtrooper.com ST1300 replacement to Wee - Page 5 > I found in Google.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28588&highlight=weave

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well I mounted up my Storm Ultra 2's on my spare wheels so they are ready to mount on the bike as soon as the PR2's are dead. It's getting closer. :)

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I bought some Storm ST tires for my ST at the end of September and have had a nasty front end wobble since if I removed my hands from the bars for any reason. I reported this to Avon a couple of weeks ago and they sent me a new Storm 2 Ultra for my front tire, no questions asked, and they are paying for the return shipping on my existing tire. I'm hoping to mount it in a few more days and see how they ride.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I bought some Storm ST tires for my ST at the end of September and have had a nasty front end wobble since if I removed my hands from the bars for any reason. I reported this to Avon a couple of weeks ago and they sent me a new Storm 2 Ultra for my front tire, no questions asked, and they are paying for the return shipping on my existing tire. I'm hoping to mount it in a few more days and see how they ride.

Dewaine, thoght not all guys experience it, the wobble is a known problem with the ST and the Storms. I suffered the same problem when I mounted them. I took off the front and left the back, but I do miss the way that front stuck to the road.

Be sure to post back here once you have that new tire mounted and have put in a few rides. I'm very interested in knowing if mounting the Storm 2's will offer the same pluses of the Storms without the wobble.

sstolten

SToltenberg
Bike
none
I just traded in my ST for a 2009 Versys and got a new set of Storm Ultra 2s thrown in. I got them installed last Wednesday and they were fine until Sunday (maybe 100 miles or so) when I noticed a slight wobble on the front. It also tracked a little weird when I would come to a stop. I took them back to the dealer (Rod's Powersports) and they found that it was out of round. So, it might be that something was starting to separate. They are going to replace it free of charge, but it's pretty disappointing to be out of commission.

I had a set of Storms on my ST and really liked them, so I'm happy to try them again, but I'm not happy to have the bike in the shop when the weather is getting nice here in Nebraska.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Was the tyre visibly out of round or poorly installed with the bead line non-concentric?

sstolten

SToltenberg
Bike
none
I couldn't tell that the tire was out of round. The service manager rode the bike to confirm my report and then when they removed the wheel to check the balance, they said that they could see that it was out of round. I must confess that I have no idea what is meant by "bead line non-concentric". They did not admit any fault regarding installation, but said that it must have been a manufacturers defect in the tire. All I know is that I missed the first perfect motorcycling day of the year with my bike in the shop this weekend!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Tyres, when properly mounted, have a line around the top of the bead which should be concentric with the rim, that is sharing the same radius as the rim... not moving in and out....

A tyre which "appears" out of round when fitted, can often be so because it has not been fitted properly..... the bead not being properly seated and thus showing the non-concentric line around the rim.

It can be balanced on a machine, but runs like a dog on the road......... producing a vertical tramp if bad enough.

I am always wary of tyre dealers who claim a tyre is "out of round", as if the manufacturer would not have checked.... that said, I did see a lot of P*****i car tyres back in the early 90's which had deformed beads, resulting in the tyre appearing, "out of round".....
This was a manufacturing defect caused by poor handling of the steel hoops used in the manufacture of the bead being hung up on a rail to cool after being made, this very action caused an out of round bead wire and hence an out of round bead and so on.... QED.

Bad QA following on from a bad step in the manufacturing process......

This is one of the reasons why I fit my own tyres.....

sstolten

SToltenberg
Bike
none
The tire didn't develop the wobble until I had put probably 100 miles on it. So, I don't think the installation was the problem. It seems unlikely to me that a problem due to poor installation would take that long to show up. It seems like it would occur right away. But the ride seemed buttery smooth for the first few days.

Thanks for the information on tire mounting.

Top Bottom