Avon Storm Concerned

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I need tires for my ST1300. I have a set of storms on it now. I have a little over 10k on the rear. And almost 10k on the front. Front has lots of life left. I want to go back with the Storms. I love them. But I am concerned that Avon says we shouldn't use them on the ST1300. Are the PR2's close to what the Storms are like. Mileage and handling. Would like to here from someone who has run both.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is all screwed up.

Avon recommends a Storm fitment on the Pan European ST1300 which is nothing but an ST1300 sold in Europe and the UK. Fast knowledgable riders on fast roads and all. Even in Germany for use on the autobahns. In the UK it is a big deal to get approval for a tire fitment. It is illegal to run "non approved" tires. The Avon is approved for such use.

In the USA ambulance chasing lawyers have screwed everything up so Avon does not give the same recommendation for Storms here. They are afraid of being sued when someone crashes their ST1300 on Avons and comes after the deep pockets and ignores the rider's actions that crashed his bike.

I run them anyway, to heck with "approved".

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I need tires for my ST1300. I have a set of storms on it now. I have a little over 10k on the rear. And almost 10k on the front. Front has lots of life left. I want to go back with the Storms. I love them. But I am concerned that Avon says we shouldn't use them on the ST1300. Are the PR2's close to what the Storms are like. Mileage and handling. Would like to here from someone who has run both.
Keith, I have been running Avon's for the last 50k miles on my 2003 1300. No problems. Have had three flats since then though :D I always carry plug kit and a mini compressor.

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Put Storms on yesterday, man they are nice. Headed straight to my favorite corners. I'm so much more confident in the corners. Some day, I might even DRAG MY PEGS!

I just called the dealers around here and they were all fine with ordering them. Yamaha shop had best priced.

Too bad the front Smarttire sensor is now rattling around inside the tire.:mad:

Last edited:

FireSporT

Team Colorado
Bike
03 ST 1300
STOC #
I never had the Avons, but I have ridden on the PRs. I have a PR2 on the rear since last summer (~4K) and a PR on the front (~8.5k). The front is ready to change and the rear looks great. Very little wear. The PRs hold great on dry and wet roads. I've been very comfortable riding in the rain. I used to run the 880/Z6 combo, but really like the PRs.

Bones had a grat write-up on them once upon a time (if I remember)

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
You might want to try the new Dunlop Road Smart tires. I used up the original Dunlops that came on the bike (ST1300), then the Michelin Pilot Road tires, now the Dunlop Road Smart tires.

I like the Dunlop Road Smarts the best. Much quieter and grippier than the Michelins.

Dale:D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave I too love the Storms so are any suppliers still selling them in our sizes?
I don't check everywhere but the place I get them from sells them and that is enough for me. Like Chuck I have run them for about 37,000 miles. They are great tires on this bike. The only tire maker than offers a road hazard warranty is Avon and they are cheaper than the other popular sport touring offerings from the Big Tire makers.

The tire vendor I know of that does not sell them posted something here awhile back about how Avon told them they would not stand behind the retailer if they (the retailer) were sued so he quit selling them.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Now I have an 1100 but I was at the motorcycle show last weekend when it was in town. I stopped by the Avon booth since there was a rep there and asked him about all of this.

The first thing out of his mouth was that they do OK they Storm for the bike here in the US. He said that there were some stability concerns over the Euro version of the bike. I told him as far as I know there is no difference between a US and an Euro spec bike that would make a difference. The only difference I can think of is the cluster and the headlamps. That isn't going to change the weight of the bike, the rake of the bike or anything else that may be a factor.

He then went on to say something that made a little more sense. He said that the web site is the European Website. They don't have a US version. He said that in the US they are approved for use but because of stability concerns they are not giving the OK for use in Europe.

Now I don't think that what stability concerns have been discovered with some 1300s have anything to do with the tire. But they may not want to be in a position where they could be blamed. Also I don't know what tire was being used on those UK Police bikes when they had issues. One thing that I do know is that my 1100 has more stability issues with the Storms than I ever had with the OEM Dunlops I ran before. I get some wobble on decel in the 45-40MPH range. As long as I have a grip on the bars I have been fine but it is there. That said I have a bearing somewhere I noticed late last season that needs to be serviced. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet to see if it is a wheel bearing or steering head. It is one of the two though. So this could explain the issue that I am feeling.

OP
OP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Chuck. As always I respect your opinion. I also talked to Fred D. today he tends to agree with you. I have been very happy with the Storms. I think I will stick with them.

DFW Dano

RED is the FASTEST!!!
Bike
'08 ST1300
STOC #
I just put on (or should I say "Mellow Tire Services") a set yesterday after wearing out my OEM Bridgestones. After riding on them the rest of the day and most of today, I love them!!!! I WILL be dragging the pegs before too long.... :D

I got them from SWMOTO in the right size with no problems... Free shipping in 2 days.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
+1 on the Avons. They're approved for the Pan ST1300 which is the same bike as our ST1300, just across the pond so no worries. Best longevity and best stick.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the Avons. They're approved for the Pan ST1300 which is the same bike as our ST1300, just across the pond so no worries. Best longevity and best stick.
Actually it is the other way around. They are not approved for the Pan ST 1300 but Avon says they are fine for the US version. That is why they don't appear on their web site as it is run from the UK. Based on the info from the rep they want to set up a US web site to add the ST to the list but haven't done so yet.

I ask again. What is the difference between a Pan ST 1300 and a US ST 1300? The only thing I can think of is the headlamps and possibly the cluster. Those won't affect tires.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Just got off the phone with Avon rep (Jared) and it's still an official no go on these tires.

He said that they are working on a updated version and no word on when it will be out.

So I'm still out of the game when it comes to these tires guys...sorry.

I know some of ya'll love them but I can't risk selling them at this time.

I will add that the guys who are running them they still support the warranty. Hope it helps.

Tim @ TBT

Two Brothers

Actually it is the other way around. They are not approved for the Pan ST 1300 but Avon says they are fine for the US version. That is why they don't appear on their web site as it is run from the UK. Based on the info from the rep they want to set up a US web site to add the ST to the list but haven't done so yet.

I ask again. What is the difference between a Pan ST 1300 and a US ST 1300? The only thing I can think of is the headlamps and possibly the cluster. Those won't affect tires.

Not sure who you talked to but give Jarad a call and bend his ear a little.
Thats not the word I got.

Avon 1-800-624-7470

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Just got off the phone with Avon rep (Jared) and it's still an official no go on these tires.

He said that they are working on a updated version and no word on when it will be out.

So I'm still out of the game when it comes to these tires guys...sorry.

I know some of ya'll love them but I can't risk selling them at this time.

I will add that the guys who are running them they still support the warranty. Hope it helps.

Tim @ TBT
Not that it really affects me as I ride the 1100 but is there a way that they can get a straight answer on this. I was told by the Rep at the Minneapolis Motorcycle Show last Saturday that they are approved for the ST1300 here in the US. He stated that he had been asked several times and that he spoke with his manager and she said they were good to go.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Not sure who you talked to but give Jarad a call and bend his ear a little.
Thats not the word I got.

Avon 1-800-624-7470
I never asked for his name but he seemed to know right away what I was talking about when I started to ask if they were approved for the 1300. I don't know if they are just trying to sell tires or what. I don't blame you for taking your stance of not selling them until the manufacturer says it is OK. My only point is that there are different answers coming from their employees. I really don't buy they guy's answer that I spoke to. He claimed that the Pan and the US Version of the ST are different. I just don't know that they are in any way that would explain why the manufacturer approves a tire on one side of the world and not the other. The only explanation that I can think of is that they look at it from a speed point of view. A bike in the UK may ride to Germany and run on the Autobahn. Since we have speed limits around here in the US they may assume :rolleyes: we don't ride that fast.

That said I have had some stability issues in the 40-45MPH range on my 1100 that I never had on other tires. They are approved. While I stated before that I have to address something I noticed in the bearings (head or wheel) I am not confident that this is my issue as I have read of other 1100 riders having similar issues in the same speed ranges that turned out to be a bad front tire.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Has anyone considered the fact that as long as people keep slurping these tires up without the manufactures "approval" they have no reason to approve them? Avon keeps selling them, and they don't have to own up to any problems that are associated with running them on the ST - win/win for Avon. I see this as a significant problem. I don't mean to suggest that they aren't great tires, but until the manufacture indicates that they are appropriate for the ST I'll never know.

The Bridgestones, while not the best tire I have ever ridden on, certainly get the job done. I highly doubt that most people are ever going to approach the limits of these tires on normal street rides.

-Brian

Two Brothers

I encourage you guys to call. If we show them the market for these tires they might move on this a little quicker. I always grab the bull by the horns and call the source.

I was hearing the same stories until I called them direct. Hope it helps.

Just want everybody to know not calling anybody wrong or right here, just passing info along.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I had Storms on my ST1100 and endured the wobble.

Went to Bridgestones and had no wobble at all.

Storms are sticky but squirmy.

At least on my 1100. :shrug2:

Styles

Top Bottom