Avon Storm II Failure ( Rear )

Bike
ST1300 and ST11
If you look at the Wikipedia Article on the ST1300 under the Pan Weave section they talk about this. There was an officer killed possibly due to the Pan Weave. Then they mentioned how a test was done to try and determine if there was an issue. This rider also experienced stability issues and went down and broke several bones. I think this is the test that they did to look into the issue and after this test they removed all ST1300Ps from service as Police bikes. As I mentioned they still use it for medical first responders. So if Avon was trying to distance themselves from this, as I mentioned we will never know.

Here is a BBC News Article on the issue as well Motorcycle News Article. They both hint that the heavy loads that the police carry in the form of communications and emergency equipment may shift the center of gravity back enough to cause the issue. Well we are known to run 2UP with loaded top box and saddle bags. The difference is that we don't need to run at triple digit speeds while doing it.

one thing to point here is that our emergancy st1300 bikes were more than just cosmetic changes from the original bike, due to the loads expected to carry they had uprated suspension aslwell as being lifyed higher and the twin seat was removed and replaced with a single seat and rear pod arrangement, whe tested in a wind tunnel they showed signs of not being that well balanced at speed with these changes so it was decided that the high speed weave may have been caused by streamlining issues due to the changes made, although there has never reall bean and hard evidence to prove the fatalities but we do have to remember if an officer dies riding then the police force here will certainly look to blame anyone apart from the rider because if they gave a verdict of rider fault then taxpayers would have to pick up the tab for paying out large sims of money to the deceased family , i hate to be blunt in this way but this is what our goverment is like, take blamr for nothing that might cost the taxpayer. if on the other hand i went down the road on an ex police st1300 and i went into a weave and died, do you think that the police investigation would call honda as the culptiy for my death??? i think not, its my reckoning that they would close the case as death by misadventure and refere to my insurance company

Bike
99 ST1100
I just had to put a plug in the rear tire on my 1100, It's an Avon Storm II.

Should I be worried that the plug is going to compromise the tire? I've got barely 1,000 miles on the tire and I'd rather not replace it unless I have to...

Any thoughts?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just had to put a plug in the rear tire on my 1100, It's an Avon Storm II.

Should I be worried that the plug is going to compromise the tire? I've got barely 1,000 miles on the tire and I'd rather not replace it unless I have to...

Any thoughts?
As far as everything I have read, there has been NO issues with this tire on an 1100. Not only is it listed as an approved fit by Avon (unlike the 1300), its a different size tire than the 1300. For the 1100, I would just treat it like any other tire...plug it, keep an eye on it for a while, and ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going by my own experience with my Storm 2, I think the load on the bike is a huge factor in what happens to these tires. My Storm 2 worked great for 4000 miles of solo riding, which included my packed gear (a fair amount, but not a huge load). On the other hand, the first time I rode a few hundred miles 2-up the tire showed a huge amount of wear. And not just wear, but it looked like it had gotten hot...to the point that I worried I had run the tire underinflated. But I checked the pressure, and it was at 42. I bumped it up to around 45 in an attempt to handle 2-up riding better, but the next 2-up ride (about 400 miles) just about destroyed the tire. The final 2-up trip (about 100 miles) resulted in what appeared to be several cups wearing through and showing belts. We actually barely made it home, with the tire losing air the last few miles. So at 4000 miles the tire barely showed signs of wear; at 6000 miles, it showed cords and was leaking.

I can't say that the belts showing and loss of air were directly due to a tire defect, as the tire was worn very low by that point. But the very rapid wear when riding 2-up with larger than average people definitely shows that this tire doesn't like heavier loads. By rapid, I mean more wear in 200 miles of 2-up than in 4000 miles of solo riding. And the solo riding wear was very even, while the 2-up wear was uneven, wearing mostly on each side of center, and starting to cup after just a few hundred miles of 2-up riding.

I still have the old tire, but due to it wearing so far, I don't think anything can be learned from my particular tire.

Jim

Top Bottom