Avon Storm vs Michelin Pilot Road 2 - ST1300 Specific

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Semantics. I said nothing that would differ from that statement, did I?
Yes, you said the Avons didn't ST's wheel. Did I misunderstand?

"but it looks right off the bat as if the reason tat Avon does not list a fitment for the ST1300 is because the tire simply doesn?t fit the wheel." :confused:

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
They are both good tires and a good choice for the ST1300.
I have said nothing to the contrary, those words seem to be getting put into my mouth. I was TOLD and have been told repeatably by the factory reps that handles sponsorship that they do not have a tire that "fits" the ST1300. That was the reason given. Now, maybe in translation or understand that falls under "not stable" or whatever, the bottom line is they will not put sponsor tires on a ST1300.

Jeff, for safety reasons I think most commercial-type motorcycle tire changers have working air limited to 60 psi even though they may be connected to 150 or 200 psi compressors. I wonder how a shop even gets over 100 psi in the tire if working on a tire machine.
I am certain you are sure, heck the machine has a warning to that effect. The way around that was the guy used a hose not run through the machine.

Is it possible you didn't have much lube on the wheel?
I didn't install them, I watched. 2 different shops. (3 now with the new set)

I always clean the inner rim pretty good when changing tires and lube the center but also spray a lot of lube all over the tire with exception to the actual lip that touches/seats against the rim.. could this simply be a very dry wheel?
The wheel never looked dry, that's for sure, they used that big ole' goopy looking thing. But I know for sure it was a struggle.

Now, I did notice to remove the tires this time the guy used WD40. Of course I had to clean the wheel off from the Ride-Now stuff. Which BTW has bubbled the interior of the rims finish....

Bike
St1300
I think you need to find a new tire guy! When I mounted my 020's on the ST. It took about 30lbs to pop the bead. 021's on the VFR took about the same. I wouldn't ride a tire that had been over 100lbs.

Greetings, I have used both Metzler Z6 and ME 880's on my 2003 ST 1300
When I installed the Dunlop Roadsmarts I couldn't believe how much the bike felt more like a sportbike than ever before. They gave me much more confidence throwing the bike into high speed twistys than I ever had previously.
The rear lasted 7000 miles, the front 8000 miles.
For mileage reasons only, I replaced with the PR2's.
For those of you who want the best " feel " and comfort level from a set of tires, consider the Roadsmarts.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Don't give up prove what you started . I need new tires and now you got me confused, if the tire and oil waters weren't muddy enough :confused:

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Don't give up prove what you started . I need new tires and now you got me confused, if the tire and oil waters weren't muddy enough :confused:
That's the funny thing. I wasn't trying to prove anything, I was just noticing that one brand and model of tire seems (did I make that word obvious enough now) to have a difference compared to another brand and model of tire.

Now, give me 8000 miles on this set and I can make a comparison. Until then, nada. Heck the chicken strips might go away after it warms up a bit. I've ridden this set 50 miles total, so all I can say about them definitively is that it was an awesome deal from Two Brothers! :bow1:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Dang I hate to ruin a good thread. OK here ya go.

Avon does not recommend the front Avon STORM 120/70ZR18, but they do recommend the rear Avon STORM 170/60ZR17. This is due to stabilty issues, I spoke to Avon reps countless times on this.

Avon does recommends the STORM 2's for the ST1300
Per Avon reps who I have spoke with a bunch.

Tire seating pressure? Well I have done this a couple of times. Some tires are better than others. I have put 60 to 70 in a tires to seat it. You don't damage to a tire by doing this. Tire manu's have recommend settings so that "Bubba" doesn't blow his arm off.

ME880 MT90-16 are the worlds worst to get to seat the bead. Just make sure that you have plenty of lube and that you lube the rim around where the bead will seat this will make it a lot easier. Storm 2's and PR2's are about the same when it comes to seating. Nothing special.

Ride On I know this is a touchy subject so I will give you my point view. We have changed tires with this stuff in it. Ride-on, Slime or any of the others out there are bad for your wheels.
It is caustic/corrosive, it will peel the paint, it will peel the chrome, it will eat thru a steel rim.
I have seen it first hand and this is all I have to say about that.

Ride safe and enjoy whatever tires you are riding.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I'm off topic here but think it's worth mentioning since Tim touched on it. I worked for a golf course for many years. After getting more flats than you can shake a stick at on the golf carts from tees, I bought a 5 gallon pail of slime. I asked the mechanic to put it in all the carts, 75 of them. What a mistake! After a year or more that stuff started to dissolve the tire from the inside out. Not to mention the huge mess it makes when changing a tire. I wouldn't use the stuff for any other situation than an emergency from now on.

Now as far as Bubba blowing his arm off...I doubt very seriously if Bill Clinton changes his own tires. :crackup :rofl1:

I'm hoping we get some mileage reports on the STorm 2 soon. I'll need a set in 2 or 3000 miles.

Bike
05ST1300A
Bridgestone 023 has been mentioned. I am not familiar with this tire and have not found information on it. Can you help?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
That is interesting what they said about the Storm 2. I have always thought that Avon has not put their stamp of approval on the 1300 because of the stability issues that the LEOs in the UK had. After all Avon is from the UK so they were in the front lines on this. I think it was their way of covering their butts. I never read that anyone on a 1300 was killed due to the wobble while riding on Avons but by not "Approving" it they give them an out in the event that there is a lawsuit because someone is injured or killed or at least a pretty good defense. Now I have been personally been told by a rep from Avon that the original Storm can be used on the 1300 here but not in the UK. That makes no sense. It is the same bike. I pointed that out to him and he just shrugged. Bottom line if you go to their website and tell it you have a 1300 it will say they don't have a tire for you. I did this yesterday because I was curious about the Storm 2 and if they now said they have a tire for the 1300. Link to Avon's Website I see that they carry the right size tire but based on their web site it isn't recommended. Here is another question. Is the 1300 rim a more common size? I know the 1100 is kind of an odd ball for a size but don't know if the same is true for the 1300. If it is an odd ball or not for that matter, I wonder what bike they recommend use the tire size that the 1300 uses? I wonder what kind of bike it is, is it a Sport Touring bike, is it as heavy as the 1300, If they design a tire for a given bike that happens to use the same size as a 1300 but it is a 400 lbs sport bike it wouldn't need as high of a load rating as the 1300 would need if riding 2up with saddle bags full, full top box and a tank bag. The 1300 before rider may weigh more than the sport bike does typically with a max load. It would be interesting to find that bit of info out.

Personally I ride an 1100 and like my Storms. I have head shake while coasting in the 45-40 range like a lot of people out there but on the 1100 I am sticking with them. They however are recommended for it. It will be interesting to see how this pans out with the 1300.

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks, that I guess would help to explain why they would not send a set of tires for sponsorship. I have not spoke with them about the Storm 2's.

I tried to be clear what tires I was talking about, but I am sure someone will get confused.

As far as stability issues, don't they come from....traction or the lack thereof? ;)

Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
I have Strorms on my 1300 and I got 10K mi. out of the rear and still have the front on at 14603 mi. still have good tread. No instability @ 137mph damhikt. Just my 2 cents. Great thread though Rob. I too have learned alot.
Ride on

I've tried the OEM Battlax, a Conti Road attack on the rear, PR2's, PR's, Avon Storms and a Metzler Z6 on the front.

Fot my 2cents:
The Battlax were barely OK
The Conti was brilliant for for about 3000miles then utter crap and wasted before 6000miles
I was underwhelmed by the PR2's. They were slippery and the PR's felt much better.
The Storms transformed my bike. It felt lighter and easier in the transitions but felt totally anchored. Particularly due to the Storm on the front.
The Metzler felt and wore similarly to the Storm.
I haven't tried the Ultras yet.

Bottom line, I believe the ST is too heavy for dual compound tyres, particulary if one does much two-up and loaded touring.

The Storms are definitely my tyre of choice and I'd never get near the edges on a PR2.

Attachments

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Interesting stuff Rob. I've got to say though I'm very surprised at the pressures you are using to seat the beads. I change all of my own tires and have always had the beads nicely pop before even reaching 42 PSI. I would be concerned that pressures in the range of 70 - 150 PSI would cause structural damage to the tire's carcass.
Posted via Mobile Device
:plus1:I've used a mini air compressor too and they all pop before getting to 42 PSI.... :think1:

I've used both Storms and PR2's. I feel more planted with the Storms than the PR2s. The PR2s felt a little squirrelly at first until I got used to them. I also wore out the left side of the rear PR2 first. :shrug2: The middle and right side had about the same tread left. I'm not sure why that was the case but others on here have reported similar wear patterns for the rear PR2.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Fot my 2cents:
PR's felt much better.
I am finding the same as you regarding the Pilot Roads vs Pilot Road 2's

I wore the PR2s through to the cords on the softer compound..I had previously had gone through 4 sets Pilot Roads and were my tire of choice until they put the 2s out the..I did not like the dual compound at all..and like I said wound up wearing them through..

Since last year I am now on Storms and currently like them a lot..They seem to be wearing very well and I have the same confidence in them as I had in the Pilot Roads..

I generally average around 11k on the roads..(I have no idea when I got ont he Storms...when they need replacing I just replace them...)

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Pirelli Angel St seem's like a good option, they are also recommended for our heavy bike's.

Top Bottom