Back to a Honda

Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
Sold my 2013 Victory Vision last week and a couple days later bought the bike I've been eyeballing the last 2-3 years .. a base model Honda Goldwing (wish it was still called an F6B .. or at least ST1800).

Lots of new holdover 2018's out there the last couple of years, but all sold this year as buyers went into serious panic mode. Then tried used, but didn't care for all of the farkles on most. Was sort of forced into a new 2021 GW. Would have been totally fine with either a DCT or Manual (loved both), but ended up with a Manual. Only thing I'm going to miss having is Reverse (Tour Manual does have Reverse, but the no trunk Manual model does not). New Wing is 100 pounds lighter than my Victory, but still a heavy bike.

Basically been trying to get back to some updated version of a Honda ST for several years. Looked at the Triumph Trophy, but got spooked with when it was discontinued. FJR is a great bike, but no major redesign for too long of a time. Didn't care for the boxer-twin of the RT, but did really like the K1600 GT .. just no BMW dealer any where near me, whereas there's a great Honda dealer right in my town (2nd oldest Honda motorcycle dealer in the country).

Attachments

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’m thinking you’ll be fine even without the reverse gear. They sit a bit lower so manhandling the bike should be no huge challenge and your driveway looks flat. When you park, just know not to put yourself in a position you have to back it out. I’ve been doing that with the ST1100 for many years and so far, no issues.

Very nice bike by the way!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
No reverse?
Seriously?
I thought GoldWing equals "backup gear" feature.
Maybe a harness maker can fashion one for each copilot, then you can stuff one in each saddlebag, and deploy them in tandem whenever you park.
Pictures would be appreciated of your reversing technique...

OP
OP
georgejetson2
Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
No reverse?
Seriously?
I thought GoldWing equals "backup gear" feature.
Pictures would be appreciated of your reversing technique...
Any Goldwing (2018 or newer) with DCT has both low speed forward and low speed reverse. And the Manual Tour model (with trunk) has Reverse. But, sadly, the Manual base model (no trunk) has no Reverse. My Victory Vision was 80-100 pounds heavier, but actually had quite a bit lower seat height.

No "technique" yet .. just trying to not make a fool of myself .. Thought those days of having to be careful where I park were gone, but already got caught 2 or 3 times. Yikes .. :cool:

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, they do turn in nice, tight circles once you're used to the weight.
Takes practice, but my never-to-be-humble opinion is that EVERYbody should be able to ride a feets-up u-turn.
But I am fairly outspoken.
Frequently wrong, but never in doubt.

OP
OP
georgejetson2
Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
If I had to go buy a new bike tomorrow, this probably exactly what i would buy. Love the color scheme. Congrats...beautiful, cool looking bike!
Thank you .. I fell in love with the 2018 matte silver .. then later the 2020 matte black w/red trim .. but those were all gone .. that's what led me to this color .. Deep Pearl Gray .. it's growing on me .. I do like the orange accent color. This new Wing was the closest bike I could find to the ST.

OP
OP
georgejetson2
Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
Well, they do turn in nice, tight circles once you're used to the weight.
Takes practice, but my never-to-be-humble opinion is that EVERYbody should be able to ride a feets-up u-turn.
But I am fairly outspoken.
Frequently wrong, but never in doubt.
All comments are appreciated .. I will make the feets up turn my goal

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
All comments are appreciated .. I will make the feets up turn my goal
Even if you don't actually have room to swing into a parking spot with a nice, cool u-turn (like, there's only 1 space in between cars), at least remember to back it into the space.
You'll probably only pull in nose-first on a downhill parking space once, to cement this concept. :)

Tall_Joe

Joseph
Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
Any Goldwing (2018 or newer) with DCT has both low speed forward and low speed reverse. And the Manual Tour model (with trunk) has Reverse. But, sadly, the Manual base model (no trunk) has no Reverse. My Victory Vision was 80-100 pounds heavier, but actually had quite a bit lower seat height.

No "technique" yet .. just trying to not make a fool of myself .. Thought those days of having to be careful where I park were gone, but already got caught 2 or 3 times. Yikes .. :cool:
I just switched from a 2008 Victory Vision while I loved the bike, I rode it like a street touring bike so she didn’t fair so well.

Moved to ST1100 and this one turns on a dime. Big adjustment but I am getting comfortable with it slowly but surely.

Joe

Top Bottom