Back to a Honda

Tall_Joe

Joseph
Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
If I keep riding the Victory like I have been, it will be down to a cafe racer. Already pulled most of the front fairing off due to bumps and drops.

OP
OP
georgejetson2
Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
I just switched from a 2008 Victory Vision while I loved the bike, I rode it like a street touring bike so she didn’t fair so well.

Moved to ST1100 and this one turns on a dime. Big adjustment but I am getting comfortable with it slowly but surely.

Joe
One thing I really liked about the Vision was the low seat height .. it was a big selling point for it against other bikes ..

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Sold my 2013 Victory Vision last week and a couple days later bought the bike I've been eyeballing the last 2-3 years .. a base model Honda Goldwing (wish it was still called an F6B .. or at least ST1800).

Lots of new holdover 2018's out there the last couple of years, but all sold this year as buyers went into serious panic mode. Then tried used, but didn't care for all of the farkles on most. Was sort of forced into a new 2021 GW. Would have been totally fine with either a DCT or Manual (loved both), but ended up with a Manual. Only thing I'm going to miss having is Reverse (Tour Manual does have Reverse, but the no trunk Manual model does not). New Wing is 100 pounds lighter than my Victory, but still a heavy bike.

Basically been trying to get back to some updated version of a Honda ST for several years. Looked at the Triumph Trophy, but got spooked with when it was discontinued. FJR is a great bike, but no major redesign for too long of a time. Didn't care for the boxer-twin of the RT, but did really like the K1600 GT .. just no BMW dealer any where near me, whereas there's a great Honda dealer right in my town (3rd oldest Honda motorcycle dealer in the country).
Very nice. A far cry from my grandfathers '77 (?) Goldwing. I sat on an attorney's ( random encounter, didn't need to hire him, lol ) new Goldwing and was pleasantly shocked how much sportier they feel now. Good for you man.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
No reverse?
Seriously?
I thought GoldWing equals "backup gear" feature.
Maybe a harness maker can fashion one for each copilot, then you can stuff one in each saddlebag, and deploy them in tandem whenever you park.
Pictures would be appreciated of your reversing technique...
Still unable to find reverse on my St after 5 years! I give up....Anybody remember saying ' Uncle, Uncle ' when tapping out? ha

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Very nice. A far cry from my grandfathers '77 (?) Goldwing. I sat on an attorney's ( random encounter, didn't need to hire him, lol ) new Goldwing and was pleasantly shocked how much sportier they feel now. Good for you man.
The 1800s are way different from the GL1000, and 1100, and 1200, and 1500.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I had a '77 GL1000 GoldWing brand new in '77. If Honda brought it back with FI as the only change - keeping the identical look I'd own one in a heartbeat.
Fuel injection for sure ! -- I had a '76 GL1000-LTD . Great bike except for the miserable Kehin 4 carbs . They had aluminum slides in aluminum throats that wore & galled so they wouldn't slide evenly which threw off carb sync. balance - big time ! , All within 22K. , couldn't fix it short of total replacement . I tried to polish the wear , use ATF in the gas - nothing worked . I had to sell it at 28K to a collector of LTDs. in 1992 . Sort of makes you sick that a problem like that ruins an otherwise great machine so that you get fed up & get rid of it .

Attachments

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Congratulations on the new Wing.
I bought my '18 Tour in '19, just before the pandemic hit.

You'll park it downhill a few times, I'm sure.
I've done that when I had the ST a few times. Nothing says she loves me like my wife pushing it back up the hill!

Regards,
Steve

OP
OP
georgejetson2
Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
What do you have half way up your leg? Havanese......

I'll let myself out........
We try to train our dogs right away as pups to stay in the yard without being tied up .. was easy to train our 2 Goldens to do that, and also the Cavapoo (smaller one in photo) .. and the Cavachon (white one) is fine if there are no walkers going by (or he's playing fetch .. he's laser-focused on fetch), but he never fails to "say hello" to most walkers.

OP
OP
georgejetson2
Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
:cool:
Congratulations on the new Wing.
I bought my '18 Tour in '19, just before the pandemic hit.

You'll park it downhill a few times, I'm sure.
I've done that when I had the ST a few times. Nothing says she loves me like my wife pushing it back up the hill!

Regards,
Steve
Thank you. I'm already preparing myself for the moment when I'll have to ask for a push .. wife doesn't ride (invite her every time tho), so 'the pusher' will be someone else. Old bike (Vision) was much longer .. the Wing has more of the same general dimensions of an ST .. it's just heavier.

Top Bottom