Bad Tires???

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I’ve seen this with dual compound tires. The center is hard and wears longer, then right off the hard compound becomes an unevenly worn mess.
Hate when that happens....:scared2:

OP
OP
Zeoran
Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
The tire itself is a Michellin. Should I change to a different brand? What kind of tire is best for just daily commute over bad roads in Southern California freeways every day?

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
The tire itself is a Michellin. Should I change to a different brand? What kind of tire is best for just daily commute over bad roads in Southern California freeways every day?
Oh boy! You are going to get a variety of answers to that question! Everyone seems to have their own preferences. I am currently using Dunlop Roadmaster lll's, They seem to wear well so far. Got about 7k on the rear and 3k on the front. Going to try Shinko's when it's time for a change.

OP
OP
Zeoran
Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
I was going with what it said on the sticker underneath the seat, which was 36psi front 42psi rear.

I've maintained that for the past few months since I bought her.

OP
OP
Zeoran
Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
Would it do any good to get her up to 42psi now? or would it just make the warping worse?

Also, any advice for what type is best for freeway commute?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Also, any advice for what type is best for freeway commute?
Best for freeway commute, saving money and max traction. Double dark side. Car tire on the back and rear motorcycle tire on the front. I'm at over 42k miles on my current front, 60k miles on my rear. I do a 45 mile commute every day (takes me 42 minutes in the morning (light traffic)), 38 of it highway.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Had a tire like that once. Turned it around on the rim and ran it til nearly bald.....Was younger then.

Today, it's all about safety. Throw it away. Put new rubber on it. You are worth the price of new rubber.

Times have certainly changed me. Now I am cupping and going bald, not my tires.....

I can kick, I can stretch. That's right, am 68.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Pus one on running at 42 psi. And like said before...you are worth new safe rubber. I run the rp4 and love them.

Next.....

Bike
2000 ST1100
Tell you what I would do if it was my bike. First after you get your suspension sorted out as to making sure everything is ok and lined up. I would get me a front set of OEM tires for your bike. The oem for a 2002 ST1100 are Bridgestone G547 for the front tire and Bridgestone G548 for the rear tire and set the pressures as per manufacturers specs. If you have an 2002 ABS model the correct oem tires are Bridgestone BT 54F for the front and BT 54R for the rear. Never heard of funny tire wear, cupping, or noises with the original equipment tires at the recommended pressures. Btw these are only tires I will run on my bike and they have served me well for the last 19 years.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
190,000+ miles on my ST1100 with 36psi in the front tire. Almost all Bridgestone Exedras, G547 and they never looked like the OP’s. 16K-22K+ miles per tire. Mine would handle poorly with another 6psi added. JMHO

John

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Remember he has an ST1100 not a 1300. I agree that 36 is too low and will cause tire wear
I have had several ST1100s and usually go with 38-40 cold in the front. 38 is my preference with most tires.
Tire pressure increase due to heat will bring you well beyond 42 anyway unless its cold.
42 will be a harsher ride especially on Cement sectional freeways like around LA.

Bike
VStrom 650
Tell you what I would do if it was my bike. First after you get your suspension sorted out as to making sure everything is ok and lined up. I would get me a front set of OEM tires for your bike. The oem for a 2002 ST1100 are Bridgestone G547 for the front tire and Bridgestone G548 for the rear tire and set the pressures as per manufacturers specs. If you have an 2002 ABS model the correct oem tires are Bridgestone BT 54F for the front and BT 54R for the rear. Never heard of funny tire wear, cupping, or noises with the original equipment tires at the recommended pressures. Btw these are only tires I will run on my bike and they have served me well for the last 19 years.
Red One,
Were they still fitting 547 and 548's as OEM in 2002?
This is a question rather than a statement (makes a change :biggrin:). Someone will know.
On the issue of pressures, I'm not so sure running 36 or 38 in the front makes any sodding difference to cupping. Or for that matter neither does fork oil, balance, damping issues etc. Bad dampers cause irregular tyre wear basically because the wheel is bouncing in an uncontrolled way. Fork oil and balance may add to this but wouldn't in my opinion cause cupping.
From my own experience on the same bike with no other changes other than tyres some tyres cup and some don't.
Bridgestone 023's Cup like a bas...d.
Bridgestone T30's No Cupping, zilch, bugger all.
Bridgestone T31's Less than bugger all cupping. Double zilch.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Red One,
Were they still fitting 547 and 548's as OEM in 2002?
This is a question rather than a statement (makes a change :biggrin:). Someone will know.
On the issue of pressures, I'm not so sure running 36 or 38 in the front makes any sodding difference to cupping. Or for that matter neither does fork oil, balance, damping issues etc. Bad dampers cause irregular tyre wear basically because the wheel is bouncing in an uncontrolled way. Fork oil and balance may add to this but wouldn't in my opinion cause cupping.
From my own experience on the same bike with no other changes other than tyres some tyres cup and some don't.
Bridgestone 023's Cup like a bas...d.
Bridgestone T30's No Cupping, zilch, bugger all.
Bridgestone T31's Less than bugger all cupping. Double zilch.
Upt'North.
According to the Bridgestone fitment chart those sizes were good from 91 model up to 2002. I still have the original front fork springs and I changed the fork oil at 36,000 miles. I have over 72 K now. I'm running 36 up front and 42 in the rear tire. My thoughts on the oem tire is they were designed for this bike specially since this tire size fits very few models.

OP
OP
Zeoran
Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
I put a few more psi into my front tire yesterday before I made the trip home. I've been shopping for tires online, Revzila and a few others and 90% of the tires, especially the 'good' ones, are all "out of stock" for my size, which is 110/80/18.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I put a few more psi into my front tire yesterday before I made the trip home. I've been shopping for tires online, Revzila and a few others and 90% of the tires, especially the 'good' ones, are all "out of stock" for my size, which is 110/80/18.
Try partszilla. Or parts unlimited. I think that's where my dealer got my rear tire.....but it will take a couple of days for shipping.

This is the oem front fitment, is it not? 3 in stock.

Edited to add, I just realized you are running a Michelin rear, wait for others to advise about mixing tires.

Didnt realize i was posting in the Michelin specific thread, sorry :confused1:

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
It's all good. That excedra is a nice looking tire and for a very reasonable price. Zeo and his machine have been through a battle. Tire mix is ok as long as it rolls straight.:usflag1:

Top Bottom