Battery question

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hopped on the bike glug, glug , click, click
Pulled the battery,,, dry as a bone. Filled it, got a push start, got to camp and the bike started right up.
question?
Do i have to replace this?
If so, best place to buy one?

im on the road and cant order one.
Many thanks in return

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I may be in left field on this one but a sealed unit maintenance free AGM battery might be a good option. They have limited cycles but may be more reliable than the ones like yours that you have to refill or at the very least worry free about goin’ dry.
My :twocents1:.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I may be in left field on this one but a sealed unit maintenance free AGM battery might be a good option. They have limited cycles but may be more reliable than the ones like yours that you have to refill or at the very least worry free about goin’ dry.
My :twocents1:.
U are Correct! I thought that was what i had. Alas, i was wrong! Gonna see what the store has in stock for now.
honestly, i cant complain. The battery has been a champ for over 25,000 mi
Tell me please? When does bike touring become inexpensive?

OEM PART # YTZ 14S. It’s sealed battery. Where I bought my ST 1300 from a friend, who the refs at all high school games.
It’s bone stock, which I prefer to modify on my own. And the seller had the OEM four like7 hrs. He diligently kept it on the battery tender/maintenance. The kind that completely shuts off when not needed. Not a slow fry forever.
and at least half dozen members confirm their experience to be the same. So that’s the very first modification I did, I pulled the Walmart battery out and I put the OEM in. Cold cranking amps are something like 300+. All the other motorcycle batteries including the ones mentioned above and some of highest price, you don’t always get what you pay for. This is a reasonably priced battery from Amazon, I think I bought it from Amazon. $140. 2 day shipping. 11:00 am in fact. Installs easily and with confidence, quick as kung fu.
Now onto the suspension. Yikes $$$$

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
OEM PART # YTZ 14S. It’s sealed battery. Where I bought my ST 1300 from a friend, who the refs at all high school games.
It’s bone stock, which I prefer to modify on my own. And the seller had the OEM four like7 hrs. He diligently kept it on the battery tender/maintenance. The kind that completely shuts off when not needed. Not a slow fry forever.
and at least half dozen members confirm their experience to be the same. So that’s the very first modification I did, I pulled the Walmart battery out and I put the OEM in. Cold cranking amps are something like 300+. All the other motorcycle batteries including the ones mentioned above and some of highest price, you don’t always get what you pay for. This is a reasonably priced battery from Amazon, I think I bought it from Amazon. $140. 2 day shipping. 11:00 am in fact. Installs easily and with confidence, quick as kung fu.
Now onto the suspension. Yikes $$$$
How quick is kung fu? After all, i posess a black belt in tofu!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Don’t need to break the bank or stop riding. OEM (Yuasa?) will cost a few sheckls more but compatible equivalents are available for a few dollars less. Amazon also has a KGM suited to the ST for $34.99…. Just sayin’.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Tell me please? When does bike touring become inexpensive?
It really depends on your budget and available cash.

Battery - AGM's, which are sealed, need no maintenance compared to flooded lead acid. The latter type needs to be checked now and then and topped off with distilled water as needed. I believe the AGM's can last longer because their plates are made in a way that they don't shed lead as readily if the battery is discharged below 60%. Note I qualified that by, "I believe". I'm not sure...you will have to do some more reading to see what battery websites say. Check out batteryuniversity.com.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Buy one at an auto parts store or Wally World and don't worry. The key is to ride often or put it on a battery maintainer. And check the water every year or so. :biggrin:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
These bike shops! Hit two and both closed! Bike has been fine. Starting like a champ. I dont know if i should trust it.
Don't worry - it will only quit in the most inconvenient spots ... :biggrin:
Do check your battery cables and make sure they are clean and tightened up.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Don't worry - it will only quit in the most inconvenient spots ... :biggrin:
Do check your battery cables and make sure they are clean and tightened up.
Yea, i discovered a hint of cob job. The pos was the wrong nut and wont tighten enough. I didnt realize today was sunday and the stores were closed. So, im here in town tomorrow for the bank and laundry. Hopefully i can care for the nut too.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
If worst comes to sorst, ill find a pusher. It started fine in second gear w a push. But, im still gonna replace it.
Didn't realize you had a battery problem. The AGM type is the way to go. I've had one in there for almost 6 years, and just trickle charge when not riding and in the winter. Will get the same when this one goes, as I'm sure it is near the end. Also easier to ship since no acid sloshing around. If you can find one online and also if you know where you are going to be in a few days (which I know is imposible with you until you get to your baby sitting gig). Think you can wait until then? You may have to stick to travelling within civilization and not the remote desert.

Top Bottom