Best GoldWing Forums?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Some of us (not me) have either added, or swapped, their ST for the ST1800.
I likely will, one day... not soon.
What are the best and better forums for the Wing? I've registered on goldwingowners.com.
Thanks.
And I hate to disappoint, but I ain't leaving.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. I have a couple also, from Direct Message with another ST1800 convert.
And in the interest of full disclosure -- I'm looking at these profiles, to see who actually OWNS one.
Full disclosure, you unnerstand.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just joined GL1800riders and it seems to be a pretty well run site with good information.

full disclosure -- I'm looking at these profiles, to see who actually OWNS one.
As in, you're checking profiles of folks in this thread ... to check if we have a GW? : )

EDIT: okay, here's mine, behind the two STs ... bonus points for show horse in background and '64 Buick LaSabre

20210129_164931-01.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
prezackly!
While I'll review all input, let's just say that the owners of the "ST1800" will carry, ahh..., more "weight."

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've been in GWRRA since 04/1978 , Wing World can be an interesting read . Wing Ding is interesting , if you have a fairly new GW. ; which I don't have .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've been in GWRRA since 04/1978 , Wing World can be an interesting read .
Those 2 organizations are what I first thought of, as being familiar to me as an outlier to Wing ownership.
Truthfully, for several decades I viewed the "luxobarge" as just that -- preponderous, stuffy, overbearing in size, all those pre-conceived (and ignorant) stereotypes borne of unfamiliarity with the bike. (And I do remember the first-year release of the naked GL1000. 1973 or 1975, thereabouts, off the top of my head.)
THEN! I saw a 1500 in the hands of a skilled rider, and I was amazed, and regretted my uneducated and unfounded opinions.
As the displacement increased and it became even more refined, my respect for it grew.
It's "just" a motorcycle, and yes it has somewhat of a limited competition, yet it has its own heritage and uniqueness. It is a remarkable and capable machine, fast and straight, or quick and nimble when needed to be, and graceful and competent in low-speed maneuvers as well.
It's ALWAYS the rider, but a good rider on a Wing can do things unexpected of a bike that size. And I'll go so far as to say, most are not that good a rider, but the good news is you don't have to be, to still enjoy what it does for you.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
While I still like my 30 yr. old 'Wing , I've ridden it less & less . wife likes it better than the ST - more room & comfortable for her & drink holder . The ST handles better & practically almost as smooth & quiet of an engine . Of course there is a lot of design years in between the 2 .
I was in 2 different local GWRRA chapters but eventually quit both , by 2019 , they only used their Goldwings to go eat somewhere in the local counties , You really don't need much more than a scooter to go do that ! I was hoping for more long distance / vacation like , scenic rides , You know , what a GoldWing is designed for ! I'm tired of the local woods & swamps , - or for a change - swamps & woods ! And I didn't buy touring motorcycles so I could sell somebody else's worthless TICKETS every year ! And they really didn't talk motorcycles that much at these local "choke-n-pukes" / dinners , either .
So I just read Wing World now ...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
GL1800Riders.com is my go-to Wing forum.

After this forum and the general makeup of sport touring riders I've come to know I find my stererotypical Wing rider is way different but what are you going to do if you want to participate in a Wing-centric forum?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I’ll agree that GL1800riders is probably the best, but having been on that site for about 7 years, I have seen some really bad information come from there. You’ll find that the common suggestion for ANY electrical problem, is to change the battery. My tail light’s out....change the battery. My horn quit......change the battery. My speedometer is off....change the battery. How can I install a voltmeter......if you had a new battery, you wouldn’t need one. :)

I believe you can get any Gl1800 question answered right here, since there are many ST-owners that are also GL-owners. Many of us have the service manuals, as well as the how-to videos.

John

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I review thew GL1800riders forum daily. Lots of good information and I generally get good responses to questions asked.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
It didn’t take long to find this gem about bleeding brakes. Copied and pasted from GL1800riders.
@Igofar Would you agree to the following advise?

I remove the fluid from both reservoirs and fill with new. I ride the bike a couple of days and remove the fluid again. I ride the bike a couple of days and remove and fill. Done. If you don't have air in the system or other issues when you start this procedure it will change the fluid.

John

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
GL1800Riders.com is my go-to Wing forum.

After this forum and the general makeup of sport touring riders I've come to know I find my stererotypical Wing rider is way different but what are you going to do if you want to participate in a Wing-centric forum?
I ruffle enough feathers on this forum. I'm in no rush to anger a whole new group of strangers. ;)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It didn’t take long to find this gem about bleeding brakes. Copied and pasted from GL1800riders.

I remove the fluid from both reservoirs and fill with new. I ride the bike a couple of days and remove the fluid again. I ride the bike a couple of days and remove and fill. Done. If you don't have air in the system or other issues when you start this procedure it will change the fluid.

John
This is wrong on so many levels, I would need some valium to even talk about it .
I wonder if he has an old beater car that he never does oil changes too, but simply replaced a quart of oil that leaks out monthly.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #

John
Wow. That advice is a combination of laziness and ignorance that you don't see every day.

The GL1800 is easier to do than the ST1300, and the ST isn't hard once you understand it. With a MotionPro bleeder, the GL can be bled properly in under 30 minutes, including cleanup. Doing it the way that guy advised is just Next-Level Stupid for several reasons.

Top Bottom