Best Headlight Replacement Bulbs??

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievabley right!!!!!:hat1: When I spoke of the 80/100w bulbs, they DO melt things on some models and YES the ST1300 is included in the melt down catagory. HOWEVER, the ST1100, for what ever design reasons, can use them with no ill effects. ANYTHING higher wattage than the 80/100w will melt stuff on the ST1100's too!! Does that answer you question better. Too bad I can't locate the source of my info. Thought it was Daniel Sterns site but that part of his site was down last time I looked and I couldn't verify my findings except to say, 5000 miles later, I've not had any problems with the 80/100w in my ST1100 anywhere in my electrical system.:shrug2: My source did state that the 80/100w bulbs were definitely too much for the ST1300 headlamp housing!!!

I'd like to add, thou I'm using the 80/100w bulbs, I'll never use them again as it is a ton of overkill!!! Next time around I'll settle for the regular old automotive bulbs!!

Last edited:
STOC #
As another alternative (without getting too excessive), I am running a 65/70w H4 in my 1100, on the left side of my E4-Euro headlamp. They are available here: http://www.candlepower.com/

This is the company Daniel Stern works with. Click on the link, click on "Store", then "H4 - HB2 - 9003". Scroll down and find the Narva 65/70w H4s. They make a nice upgrade without doing anything bad to the plastic headlight reflectors (like dulling/burning them)

BTW, I also use an all-weather yellow "balloon" on the standard H4 on the right side.

HTH!

Ray

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
As another alternative (without getting too excessive), I am running a 65/70w H4 in my 1100, on the left side of my E4-Euro headlamp. They are available here: http://www.candlepower.com/

This is the company Daniel Stern works with. Click on the link, click on "Store", then "H4 - HB2 - 9003". Scroll down and find the Narva 65/70w H4s. They make a nice upgrade without doing anything bad to the plastic headlight reflectors (like dulling/burning them)

BTW, I also use an all-weather yellow "balloon" on the standard H4 on the right side.

HTH!

Ray
Candlepower.com is where I got my new H4 bulbs and yellow "balloon", too, but I got an Osram 70/65W for the right and a Narva 60/55W +50 for the left so the balloon could fit over it. So far, I like the combination.

STOC #
Bill,

Any before-and-after pix of the yellow balloon? I'm all for conspicuity, if indeed it would make a difference. My practice is to run H4 high-beams at all times during the day, unless I'm riding behind other m/c's, then it's low-beams. Thus far, no one has pulled out in front of me or turned left across my path of travel, but I'm expecting it to happen sooner-or-later, and always try to ride "invisible" (they don't know I'm there, so it's up to me to have an evasion plan in place).

STOC #
I don't have a "before" pic, but here's a couple of "after" pics. I can't take a pic head-on at night 'cause it hurts the ol' eyeballs. But the yellow bulb on 1 side sure does get people's attention! I've had people pull over, and off to one side of the lane to let me pass, thinking I was an "E" vehicle. (I don't care what they do, as long as it involves not running in to me;) )
Headlamp
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2816478850049812074HbkPOy
Low beam
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2511200550049812074uthhQO
High Beam
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2061959090049812074TnNIWw

Bear in mind, this is with a Euro E4 headlamp. The DOT won't have the concentration of light on high beam that the E4 has, nor the sharp cut off with the 'tip up' to the right.

The yellow balloon (or bulb) also adds visual enhancements in wet or foggy conditions. Defiinitely better than going "blue/white".

So, Bridgeman...looking at your profile I notice your a bridge engineer. Me? I build 'em. 22 years in the Ironworkers Union (Oakland, CA) You must be doing a good job, as I haven't heard of any bridges in Oregon falling down lately... :cool: (now, you weren't in Twin Cities back about 20 years ago, were you?:eek: ....shudder the thought!

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bill,

Any before-and-after pix of the yellow balloon? I'm all for conspicuity, if indeed it would make a difference. My practice is to run H4 high-beams at all times during the day, unless I'm riding behind other m/c's, then it's low-beams. Thus far, no one has pulled out in front of me or turned left across my path of travel, but I'm expecting it to happen sooner-or-later, and always try to ride "invisible" (they don't know I'm there, so it's up to me to have an evasion plan in place).
Yes, I posted my results with pictures in this thread.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Hey Parker!!!

Was wondering if now after a few rides how this all is turning out... I am thinking about the Osram 70/65 but am going with 2 of them instead of the way you have...

:::::deer spoting is priority # 1 where I ride at night most::::::D

Ya think 2 of these will create to much heat in the 100 degree summers???:nuke1:

So bright these will I be drawing in police from 2 States??? :rolleyes:

QUESTIONS!!! I HAVE QUESTIONS I SAY!!!:bigpop:

Last edited:
STOC #
Terry, I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever. Only when the wattage gets up to the 80-100 watt range does it start affecting the reflector of the headlight.

Personally, I would run 2-65/70w bulbs too, but the base is a bit thicker and won't accept the yellow balloon.

Ray

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Terry, I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever. Only when the wattage gets up to the 80-100 watt range does it start affecting the reflector of the headlight.

Personally, I would run 2-65/70w bulbs too, but the base is a bit thicker and won't accept the yellow balloon.

Ray
Thanks Ray!!!

I am about to order up the 65/70 bulbs... I had figured out that was the bestest and then saw this thread... I like the Yellow thingy but,,, I am going for the Full Power Deer Lasers... :duck:

I had a 100/110 in a Connie and was lucky I just blew a fuse on a 100 degree day going throu Chicago... :nuke1:

therider

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
I have dual 60/55 and happy with it. I did not mechanically adjust the beams to make them a little higher, but in my recent trip I just electrically lowered the high beam by 3 notches and used them in the night. much better than low beams would have done in proper height. low beam at highest position works well in town.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Bill,

In reference to your interest about your one yellow/one white bulb being legal in other States: It's referred to as "Touring Priveleges". If the equipment you have is lawful and passes inspection in the State in which you are registered, then it is accepted in other States you tour through even if it would not be otherwise accepted for vehicle registered in that State.

That is not to say some "lesser informed" LEO wouldn't try to enforce his states equipment laws on you, just that he shouldn't and you would have a justifiable position to contest a summons if he did issue one.

I'm a retired NJ Trooper.

STOC #
Bill,

In reference to your interest about your one yellow/one white bulb being legal in other States: It's referred to as "Touring Priveleges". If the equipment you have is lawful and passes inspection in the State in which you are registered, then it is accepted in other States you tour through even if it would not be otherwise accepted for vehicle registered in that State.

That is not to say some "lesser informed" LEO wouldn't try to enforce his states equipment laws on you, just that he shouldn't and you would have a justifiable position to contest a summons if he did issue one.

I'm a retired NJ Trooper.
Interesting. But, that won't work in California. I know, we have our own rules here...:) If you drive into the state of Cal. and have any unacceptable/illegal "whatevers", and you're #1-caught; #2- the LEO wants to be difficult, you get a ticket. Maybe only a "fix-it" ticket, but a ticket never-the-less. Take as an example tinted windows forward of the rear seat. If an LEO sees it (and wants to be a jerk), he'll pull you over and issue a citation. "But I live in Arizona, the car is registered in Arizona!" Doesn't matter, "you're driving in California, and you'll abide by this state's laws" will be the gist of the reply. Just a precautionary note...

Now, anything Federally mandated/allowed is just that: Allowed in all 50 states, like headlight modulators, e.g. Federal laws trump state/local laws.

But, that said, I must be going blind, I didn't see any reference to George's concern that a yellow lamp is illegal in other states...Did I miss something? Wasn't he worried about the lack of a proper ground/power to the right bulb due to a bad switch, and thus the right bulb was "yellow-er" than his left bulb?

BTW, Yellow "All Weather" bulbs are federally mandated/approved, and thus legal in all 50 states. FWIW :)

Ray

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
In one of his earlier posts Bill had questioned about the yellow light being legal in other states. I don't get the time to offer input on the forum every day, but I do try to help a fellow member here when I do have knowledge to share...as seldom as that may occur :)

You made some very good points and I agree, many times it's an improper or less than ethical attempt to enforce a law. A great example about tinted windows too. My father in law (ret. NYPD) now lives in Florida and has dark tinted glass on all but the windshield, legal in FL. When he comes up to visit here in NJ not legal forward of rear door. He's ok under Touring Priveleges but that's not to say a NJ LEO wouldn't issue anyway. Irony, if you see a new NJSP Troop car that has markings that it is assigned to the Homeland Security Section and you'd see that all the side glass is dark tinted, in violation of NJ law !

Every State has unique laws dealing with motor vehicle equipment, not just California. In fact New Jersey's motor vehicle laws are often drafted to mirror a law in California. This may seem strange but NJ Law Enforement has been aware for years about the pattern of NJ often following CA in mv law.

The "Touring Priveleges" existed since before I was trained in the academy more than 30 years ago and is by recepricol agreement between the states to avoid visitors touring through a State being vicitimized when equipment on their vehicle that is perfectly lawful in their home state is not lawful in a State they are passing through. Like I said, this does not mean an "under informed " LEO wouldn't issue a summons, it just means he should not and the defendant would have a good legal position to contest the summons in court. I guess some States may not even honor this agreement, hell, until a few years ago, NJ didn't have a reciprocal agreement on license points with one of the fifty States. Guess which one ? Pennsylvania, the state right next door !

Believe me, It's not just the general public that thinks some summones are improperly issued. LEO's, current and retired are very well aware of enforement actions that were taken that were miss guided based upon improper perceptions of laws. That's where good screening in the hiring process, good & dedicated instructors, a competent supervisor and a adequate review process can all help. BUT it still all boils down to the LEO keeping himself/herself up to speed and properly informed. AND innocent people that have been improperly cited need to use proper channels to bring these improper enforcemnt actions to the attention of those in positions of authority.

An example: I was an active fire line officer (Lt. then Capt.) of a Volunteer Fire Dept. for many years. I had the NJ required blue light permit and had a blue light, designating my emergency response and right of way when the light was activated. I went on a vacation to Vermont and a Vt. police officer stopped me for having a blue light on my car. In NJ at that time only used blue lights for Vol fire/ems personal vehicles (NJ DMV permit required) and used red lights on fully authorized emer. vehicles like pumpers, police, ambulances, etc. In Vt. they used blue lights for police and red lights for personal vehicles of Vol. responders. He told me he was going to issue a summons. I did not argue with him but I did show him my NJ permit and did explain that I was totally lawful in my home state. I also told him that I fully understood that I had no chance I'd be responding to a fire from VT. and that if I activated my blue light in Vt. it would be percieved as a police vehicle and I could be subject to arrest for impersonating a police officer. But as long as I did not improperly activate that light I was within my right to keep the blue light mounted but un lit. If he insisted, I would take out my tools and remove the light but if he issued a summons, I would contest it. He checked with his Sgt. and was told as long as I had the NJ required permit I was ok....covered under "Touring Priveleges".

Last edited:
STOC #
Thanks Rick!

That's a handy piece of information right there now! (hope I don't have to use it, but if I ever do....:))

Ray

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I have my Ohsram 65/70 bulbs and will get them installed after step # 1...
Burning all evidence from the boxes that say,,,

"Not Legal in Europe and USA"

"Off-Road Only"

"Will Spontaneously Ignite baby Bunny's standing within 12 feet of the road as you pass with high beams on":nuke1:

Might not have the wording 102% correct on that last 1... :rolleyes:

:crackup

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Hey Terry,
How's an old IL boy doin' today? I think you're going to love the increased light you're about to experience. Mine are so much brighter! I really noticed it during FL-STOC. Speaking of that, I ran a quick poll for everyone who attended FL-STOC and saw my headlight combination. Everyone who saw it said it made the bike much more noticeable (visible); which was the reason for having the one yellow balloon over the left bulb. Off course it also made my ST very distinctive to others, too. :)

You must be joking about burning all the evidence. I didn't see anything like that with the packaging that came with my Osram and Narva.

I was also happy to read some of the above posts about the legality in other states. I'd never heard of "touring privilieges" but rest assured, I plan to remember the term, just in case. :D

Oh yeah, and I'm going to try my best to make the Moonshine run next year. I want to time a visit to my folks and son up near Mattoon, just a few miles from you.

Last edited:

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Hey Terry,
How's an old IL boy doin' today? I think you're going to love the increased light you're about to experience. Mine are so much brighter! I really noticed it during FL-STOC. Speaking of that, I ran a quick poll for everyone who attended FL-STOC and saw my headlight combination. Everyone who saw it said it made the bike much more noticeable (visible); which was the reason for having the one yellow balloon over the left bulb. Off course it also made my ST very distinctive to others, too. :)

You must be joking about burning all the evidence. I didn't see anything like that with the packaging that came with my Osram and Narva.

I was also happy to read some of the above posts about the legality in other states. I'd never heard of "touring privilieges" but rest assured, I plan to remember the term, just in case. :D

Oh yeah, and I'm going to try my best to make the Moonshine run next year. I want to time a visit to my folks and son up near Mattoon, just a few miles from you.
Doing good and happy to be back on the ST...

Will be great if you can make Moonshine this year!!! I am going out on a limb and say,,, we will top right around 1,000 people,,, IF,,, it doesn't snow/tornado/flood/volcano/hail that day... :rolleyes:

I am ready to install and just realized,,, I can't find my shims I had... I am going to eith order up some or,,, do the surgery on them... Which way did you do it,,, and others chime in too...

Oh,,, and the Osram DOES say,,, "Off Road Only" Not approved for road use in Europe and USA... But I won't tell...

You,,, EVER,,, get up this way you are always welcome and will be required to attend Moonshine where you will be my honored guest... :eat1:

Last edited:
STOC #
"Touring Privileges" may be a NJ-only - I tried Googling, and came up with very little (one article from 1913 in NY Times archive!). Would be nice if it were universal, but I don't think so. If you want to argue law with the LEO, be my guest, but he could easily ask you to prove you didn't install the "alleged" illegal lighting post-inspection. Being nice and acting dumb might be a better tactic.

Just asking here, but....how could an LEO tell if you had "illegal" lighting? (assuming we're talking about an OEM fixture, such as the headlight) I don't think he'd make you pull the bulbs out on the side of the road to check.

Or am I taking this a whole other direction from where you are?:rolleyes:

Ray

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just stumbled onto this thread - great read, from the beginning. Saw it while looking for information about shim installation, about 2 hours after ordering some PIAA H4 replacement bulbs.

Anyone using/used or have comments about the "PIAA H4 Anti-Vibration Color Temp 4150K Wattage 60W/55W=110W/100W Technology Xtreme White Plus?"

If/when they burn out I'll probably go with Bill's set-up (without the yellow ballon). I saw it at FLSTOC and it looked great!

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Anyone have any extra Shims they would sell me??? I,,, THOUGHT,,, I had 2 but can't find them... I think I gave them away to someone at Moonshine this year... :eek::

I would buy them but man,,, the price is bad enough but shipping on them will be almost as much as the shims!!!

Top Bottom