Best Headlight Replacement Bulbs??

For what it's worth:

I sent some e-mails back and forth yesterday with Daniel Stern. He highly recommended against installing the kits that keep the low beam on when you switch on the hi beam. He said this would cause an overheating of the bulb and it would explode. He still swears by the Osram Plus 50 75/60 bulb and highly recommends doing the previously mentioned yellow balloon to the left bulb if allowed by state law.

Not sure about GA law, but the few knowledgeable people I've talked with thought it would be illegal in GA to have a yellow headlight and a white headlight.

I think right now I'm just going to run a pair of Osram Plus 50 75/60 per Daniel's recommendation.

I highly recommend getting in touch with him if you have any questions. He answers very quickly and certainly seems to know his stuff.

2. And Most Importantly: What is the best bulb/brand to get considering I just want to light the night up better than my stock bulbs and still not have to replace the darn things every couple of months?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I am late getting into the swing of things, but I purchased the Osram Silverstars from California Sport Touring (28$) along with the H4 Shims (11$). They shipped quickly, installation was a pain, and they work great. Now that I know the tight angles and the best way to remove the lamps, it will go quicker and eaiser next time. Thanks to all of you who posted your experiance and insignt.

BMc-ST

STOC #
And make sure to get the Osram Silver Stars. The Sylvania SilverStars are NOT the same bulb, and do not perform as well.

On that note, avoid the PIAA bulbs. They're nice...for awhile... till they burn out in about 1 year. And at nearly $80 per set, those are bulbs I don't want to keep buying!

Ray

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I like these bulbs so much, I'm into my second set. Actually, one of the first set is still going after 32,000 miles and about two years.
The PIAA Xteme White Plus H4s are the brightest I could find without getting that bluish look. They're rated 4000Kelvin 60/55w to equal 110/100w. I'm not sure what that all means, I'm just copying what it says on the box. I got them on Ebay for $52/pair.
I put them in with shims after snipping off the two lower tabs.
They have given good longevity and really bright light.

John

I went to the Narva site and found this. But, I don't know which bulbs to order ... and where are the shims?

9003 (HB2) bulbs

item type volts watts base
48882 9003 (HB2) 12.8 60/55 P43t
48875 9003 (HB2) BL 12.8 60/55 P43t
48676 9003 (HB2) BLB 12.8 60/55 P43t

BL = Brite Lite Xenon (up to 30% more light)
BLB = Brite Lite Blue (Xenon extra white light)

Also, I wonder if just running the 60/55s is fine. I don't need any more light than this, eh? And, I'm not interested in the balloon deal.

I wonder if BL or BLB gives more light or just a different color light?

Any opinions? Thanx. :D

Last edited:
Thanx, Ray ...

I couldn't wait for responses to the question, so I just went to casporttouring and got the H4 bulbs and shims. Figured I'd up grade the Wing as well, so I got 4 bulb and 4 shims. Shipping would prolly be same/same for 1/2 an order, eh.

Thanx again.

STOC #
Thanx, Ray .... haven't been on the Casporttouring site, but ....

The Narva bulbs in BLUE are from the Candlepower site.

I guess my question is ... if these are the correct bulbs ... which color is best, or does it make a difference.
Bagger, contrary to popular belief, you want whichever bulb (of the +50 variety) that has the warmest color...with NO "blue" tint, no "closest to sunlight" claims. It is a better light with which to actually "see" at night. Plus, any tint, of any color, shades the lumen output, even if ever-so-slightly. The Phillips VP does have a small ring of tint out on the ends of the bulbs, but at least they're not fully tinted. The Osrams don't have any, nor do most of the Narvas.

You'll be happy with the results...

Ray

Bike
THE XX BIRD
STOC #
After reading thru this thread and some others, I have decided on purchasing the Osram +50 70/65W bulbs.

Any suggestions on where or whom to buy from?

TIA
Tom

OK what's the trick???????/ I have about the whole front of my bike torn apart and can't get the freaking plugs off the headlight bulbs. Is there some kind of releases or something, otherwise there welded fast!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!

Bike
None
STOC #
OK what's the trick???????/ I have about the whole front of my bike torn apart and can't get the freaking plugs off the headlight bulbs. Is there some kind of releases or something, otherwise there welded fast!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!
Unbelievable!:hat1:

Here we go again!!! LOL!:crackup :crackup

ST1100 or ST1300? Once we know that more info will be forth coming!!:clap2:

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
Bill - gonna get as many answers to this as hair on a dogs back
Bill - I just went through the same process you are going through and the above quote is on the money. My sense from all that I read was...Osram Silverstars seem to get the most frequent positive mentions. I could not find a post that suggested going to 55/65 bulbs would create a heating problem in the housing or the wiring - any higher wattage seemed to attract a few negative comments the higher the power the worse of course. The jury was split on the shims...I chose to use them with the Silverstars 55/65. I also used the Comagination modulator plug n' go version. So far the combination is working for me...but it should I only have ~400 miles on since the install ...so no buyers remorse yet :rolleyes:

Ok, I read the whole thread front to back; back to front, I ordered bulbs, bought shims, a cute little yellow nipple looking thingy. I'm gonna have better lights!!! I have the bike on a lift. I'm up, I'm down I'm all around. I even have help!!!! But the freakin plugs don't come off the bulbs. the service manual says nothing about releases!!!! The owners manual says nothing at all!!!! After taking the whole freakin dash off my 1300 I come in, turn on the computer and discover ahhhhh.. squeeze the plug: great, just freakin wonderful! Annnnnyyyyyway It's all better now except now my radio speakers are intermittant! Here I go again.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I've had good luck with these. The PIAA Xtreme White Plus H4 60/55w 4000k that I got for about $40 on eBay. I do use the shims. I had the left one burn out after 1 1/2 years and 35,000 miles like many of you. Why the left goes more often, I'll never know. They look bluish when the STeed is sitting because the tips are blue, but the light is bright and white.
I'm putting in the Xrtalights Digital Xenons HIDs that I got on the group buy recently, mostly because I'm a farkle w**** rather than anything wrong with the PIAAs.

John

Attachments

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Ray,

1. They sure look white compared to some purplish ones that I've seen on cages.
2. I had no idea how long they were supposed to last. More than a year seemed fine and one of the original ones is still going.
3. When I went to replace the one that burned out, that eBay merchant was no longer listed, so, maybe they were 'fly by night' and switched. At the time, naive me wasn't looking for such a bait and switch.
4. I went with the 4300k color temperature that was encouraged on the group buy. They aren't in the STeed yet, so my human eye can't tell if they're good or not. I hope they are because, even with the group buy, they were quite pricey and I'll have to live with them.

As to alternatives, let's talk about oil :)

John

You got a 1? years out of the PIAA S.W.s??? You did pretty good!

A few things about the PIAA bulbs:

1- They are tinted. And no matter how little, tint blocks lumen output, and the "nice-n-white" is a bit of tomfoolery. See why here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/superwhite/superwhite.html

2- As you've found out, they don't last long. Among the members of the old STOC "liST", we found that about 1 year was average.

3- $40 is a spanking price! Considering they retail for about >$80 per set for the H4s. (Just be careful they weren't switched for an 'off-shore' brand in the package)

4- ANY "white(er)" bulb, HIDs included, increase *contrast*, not light (with the exception that HIDs put out lots more light; except that its not a good color temp for the human eye at night)

Use 'em if ya got 'em, but there are always viable alternatives.;)

Unbelievable!!:hat1: You got it!!! And you welcome!! I'm lazy too, that's why I bought the shims! To bad the ST1300's can't tolarate the 80/100w jobs! It's like riding in the daylight with them! I can see eyes of deer from...well, heck...I don't know how many miles back but it's a whole lot farther than with the OEMS!!!! (Now where did I put that fire extinguisher? Dang dry leaves...:crackup )
I went a different route. I am running H4 90/100W bulbs. Yes, they put out heat. No, there are no melting issues of any kind (either wiring or housing). I have taken off the plastic to inspect the wiring to verify this. My wonderful ST is my only form of transportation, so she gets driven 365 days a year. I have been running with these bulbs for several months now, so I feel very confident with the reliability and liability factor. They were very inexpensive, and yes, they put out the light (a very nice super white light as well).

As for any modification, it is always "do at your own risk". I would not recommend anything that was not OEM if you do not feel comfortable with it. For me, I'll try anything twice. I have always found that you have to experience things for yourself to know if they are right for you. Sometimes, recommendations alone just aren't enough.

Texas

Bike
None
STOC #
I went a different route. I am running H4 90/100W bulbs. Yes, they put out heat. No, there are no melting issues of any kind (either wiring or housing). I have taken off the plastic to inspect the wiring to verify this. My wonderful ST is my only form of transportation, so she gets driven 365 days a year. I have been running with these bulbs for several months now, so I feel very confident with the reliability and liability factor. They were very inexpensive, and yes, they put out the light (a very nice super white light as well).

As for any modification, it is always "do at your own risk". I would not recommend anything that was not OEM if you do not feel comfortable with it. For me, I'll try anything twice. I have always found that you have to experience things for yourself to know if they are right for you. Sometimes, recommendations alone just aren't enough.

Texas
Unbelievable!:hat1:

I'm glad you are not having a melting issue! The information I was sharing was from a site that had documented occassions of melting in the ST1300's with the 80 and higher wattage bulbs. Been a long time and I'n not going to hunt it down again but I think I found the info here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com

Now, as with anything else, that doesn't mean that EVERY ST1300 will have melting problems but SOME will. Personally, I'm now too leery and I'll never use this high of wattage again once these burn out. Good luck and let us know over the next year how your headlamp housing holds up!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom