Best Headlight Replacement Bulbs??

Bike
ST 1300A
STOC #
@ Mellow.

The EU bulbs do not fit in the DOT headlight. The difference is exactly shown in your picture.
The position of the tabs is different.
I do have a HID set here, that will fit in my EU headlight, but I wanted to get a set to put in my DOT headlight. This gives me a spare EU headlight for my nect import ST....
If there is no standard set to fit in the Honda DOT headlight without removing the tabs, I rather put the set in my EU headlight.
Still in doubt.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
@ Mellow.

The EU bulbs do not fit in the DOT headlight. The difference is exactly shown in your picture.
The position of the tabs is different.
I do have a HID set here, that will fit in my EU headlight, but I wanted to get a set to put in my DOT headlight. This gives me a spare EU headlight for my nect import ST....
If there is no standard set to fit in the Honda DOT headlight without removing the tabs, I rather put the set in my EU headlight.
Still in doubt.
So they are different... what is the bulb size on your EU headlight?

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
EU headlights use standard H4 bulbs. H4 bulbs, as you've said, don't fit the US headlight shell without breaking off the tabs and, on the ST1100, using the headlight shims.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Bob.. so, same HID kit and bulbs work for both US and EU headlights, but you do have to trim the bottom tabs for the bulbs to fit the US version.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
So there are no HID kits that fit without breaking the tabs for DOT head lights.

That is a pity...
To my knowledge, Honda is the only company that uses those weird bulbs, and only in the US, and only for a few models. There's not enough incentive for a vendor to make an HID kit for such a limited audience.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You don't need the shims on the st1300.
Just cut off or bend back the 2 lower tabs. You'd need to do that anyway using the shims. The bulb will seat and locate on the round portion of the base.

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
I do know... HIDs are bright and a huge improvement over the oem bulbs. You can get some under 4k I believe...

I have to disagree with the distance thing... Again, I believe they are an improvement.

In fog, I've never seen any headlights as very useful...
How's your HID conversion compare with your HID driving lights?

Read several post here about Silver Star VS OSRAN. I bought the Silverstar H4's and was reading the back of the package and Sylvania silverstar is made by OSRAN.
Hummm.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
My left side low beam went out a couple of days ago. It was a Sylvania. It may have lasted one year. I replaced it with a GE 60/55W motorcycle specific bulb that I found on clearance at Walmart for $7. I'm curious to see how long this one lasts.

Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi,

Hopefully a quick query. All the threads I've read refer to the headlight bulb for the 1300 as being H4 but the Haynes manual which I usually use states that the bulbs are a H7 fitting. Does it matter and what's the difference? Thanks in anticipation.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
H7s look like they have two tabs while the H3s have three. The H7s would probably fit, but you'd loose either high or low beam. It's probably a mis-print on the part of Haynes.

John

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Hi,

Hopefully a quick query. All the threads I've read refer to the headlight bulb for the 1300 as being H4 but the Haynes manual which I usually use states that the bulbs are a H7 fitting. Does it matter and what's the difference? Thanks in anticipation.
H7s are only one filament - no high/low beam difference.

H4s are two filament.

Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi again,

The H4s fitted right in without modification. The UK pan must have a different fit, no need to bend/remove the lugs.

Next question....how do I change the small side/driving lights without taking the plastic off. Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300
Has anyone directly compared the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 55/60 bulbs to the Osram 65/70 bulbs? I'm currently running 1 standard H4 with 1 Silverstar Ultra (due to a burnout of the other Ultra) and there is worlds of difference between the 2. I want to get a matched pair. Right now on Ebay are 2 Ultras for $22 delivered! That's half price of 2 Osram 65/70 bulbs.

ALSO: I"m starting to wonder about using the shims on a 1300. I decided to bend the top tang up (away from the slot) so it still indexes the bulb but doesn't rest on the slot. I got a better focused light and had to lower the electric adjustment knob 2 clicks. Low beam was too high. I might try my shims (again) next change.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
ALSO: I"m starting to wonder about using the shims on a 1300. I decided to bend the top tang up (away from the slot) so it still indexes the bulb but doesn't rest on the slot. I got a better focused light and had to lower the electric adjustment knob 2 clicks. Low beam was too high. I might try my shims (again) next change.
FYI, shims are needed for the ST1100, but . . . not the ST1300. :)

Shuey

Top Bottom