Best heated grips for ST1300?

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I've got a set of Oxford grip heaters and a Kaoko throttle lock still sitting in the box. Took the throttle lock out but not the grips. That seemed to be the best combo from what I could find until I sold it and bought a FJR.

Bike
07 ST1300
I upgraded to Oxfords from my OEM just this year. Very nice and warm.
You actually removed working honda grips to install oxfords? I can cook my hands through heavy gloves with the honda grips. I don't get it. Plus it would leave a big hole where the controller was.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
symtech or dualstar (might be out of business) foil elements under bmw ribbed grips. I wore out the grips but the elements are still going strong. Just need to slip a new set over them. I never found a need for anything other than hi and low, iow a pwm controller is very optional.

iirc I think I got the elements and maybe a micro switch kit for $36.
Random source LINK

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
This tread has me feeling like I need heated grips now. I'm using heated gloves but on very cold days heated grips would be great.
The problem with this site, other than costing me money here and there, is lots of different options... or maybe that's the good thing about the site.
In any case, it appears that the grip elements are pretty much the same or very close so why the big difference in cost between all of them?
What's so different that you can spend $36 or $136?

I will admit I haven't seen them for $36 but that's the price @st1300r stated... ;) I think $60 was the low point.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The best heated grips are the ones that work and I am holding on a cool (below freezing) ride.

I get a chuckle out of grips / grip covers that say they are heated grip compatible. You are insulating our hands from the heat, so that is compatible?
Personally I use the symtec, but any of the duplicate copies are good. Just don;t use the ones with the big resistor for low heat. They work with the Honda/BMW/G2 Throttle tamer/Throttlemeister and other grips, they even work with the bicycle handle bar tape I beefed my OEM grips up with. (Just takes a little longer till I feel the change.)

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I don't ride an ST but doesn't matter what the grip is mounted on if it works. JMO
I replace the factory heated grips on my Wee a couple weeks ago (replacement factory grip $185). The throttle grip was always 2-3 times hotter than the left grip.
I replaced with these for under $50;
http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Motorcycle-Heated-Grips-Controller/dp/B009Z1KQ2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450886532&sr=8-1&keywords=bikemaster+heated+grips
I don't remember if the ST is 7/8 or 1" but either is available.
So far very pleased. The grips are larger diameter and have a coarse texture for good gripping. If you ride without gloves though, the grips might irritate your hands.

Good Luck, Ride Safe.

I put Oxford grips on the ST but only because I'd already installed throttle tamer.
Otherwise I like AME grips better and have them on three other bikes. Don't need a separate controller, have wider range of heat settings, and really like the ability to set each side independently. YMMV

Bike
2006 ST1300
I installed Oxford grips on my ST. I found that the length of the "Touring" grips were slightly too long and needed to be trimmed. I took them off and replaced them with the "Sport" grips which were shorter and required no trimming. They work perfectly and the install took less than an hour. The controller is fully water proof and the heat has 5 settings.

I have BMW OEM heated grips on my K1300S and the Oxfords perform as great as the BMW grips. No complaints. It's hard to go wrong with the Oxford grips.

Joel

Bike
2006 ST
The controller is completely waterproof,
Well, maybe. I bag the controller just because of all the threads that say they will buy the farm if soaked, never wanted to try and find out. The button fit is suspect.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the OEM ones from Honda and they have worked flawlessly for years.
They have 4 settings and I've only used setting 1&2. Settings 3&4 are way to hot.
eBay has Honda ones still.
Call you Honda dealer, I'm sure you can still get them.

Bike
2007 ST1300
No silly, my OEM grips stopped working so I upgraded to Oxfords, I would not remove the OEM if they were working\\\\\

I just left the controller in place, no big hole -----

Bike
2007 ST1300
You actually removed working honda grips to install oxfords? I can cook my hands through heavy gloves with the honda grips. I don't get it. Plus it would leave a big hole where the controller was.
No silly, my OEM grips stopped working so I upgraded to Oxfords, I would not remove the OEM if they were working\\\\\

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
One bit of advice that I've seen and used. Many of the heaters advise installing with epoxy
but hair spray seems to work fine (sticky stuff) and isn't "permanent".

John-

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
An air compressor works great no spray or epoxy needed. But if installing heaters under the grips I'd think some kind of adhesive would be needed. In any event I probably wouldn't use epoxy.

Bike
07 ST1300

Well you left the bit about "not working" out. Hence the silly question.
I was shopping for grip heaters because my OEM 's were not working as well. After much digging around I did find the problems, fixed them and all is well since.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Well you left the bit about "not working" out. Hence the silly question.
I was shopping for grip heaters because my OEM 's were not working as well. After much digging around I did find the problems, fixed them and all is well since.
I know this post is old.....but how did you fix your grips. My Hondaline grips stopped working too. The controller lights up, but I get no heat to the grips at all. I haven't pulled the panels yet, since its below freezing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I know this post is old.....but how did you fix your grips. My Hondaline grips stopped working too. The controller lights up, but I get no heat to the grips at all. I haven't pulled the panels yet, since its below freezing.

You may have to pull the old elements out... I opted for generic snowmobile heaters 10 years ago and have never had a problem. There is a warm setting and a really hot setting. $24 Cdn. in 2008 prices and they saved me on my recent Octobrrr trip.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
You may have to pull the old elements out... I opted for generic snowmobile heaters 10 years ago and have never had a problem. There is a warm setting and a really hot setting. $24 Cdn. in 2008 prices and they saved me on my recent Octobrrr trip.
I'm still hoping for a loose connection between the controller and the grips[emoji1696]

Top Bottom