Best lock lubricant?

Bike
'05 ST1300
The majority of my later model Hondas have always presented themselves with sticky, finnicky locks (particularly ignition).

What is the most effective lubricant?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I like Kroil, used by many gun owners, and I've seen it mentioned / used by others here as well.
My 2008 primary sticker is the fuel cap lock.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
PL-100 Super multi-purpose penetrating lubricant

Available in all the hardware and reno stores.
All of the locksmiths around here use this now.
I use on my lock cylinders and it keeps them working well.
I use it for many other things now where I would have used WD-40 before. It seems to work better. If works better and lasts longer on many different applications.
If you buy some, use only a very little squirt as it doesn't need much.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
PL-100 Super multi-purpose penetrating lubricant

Available in all the hardware and reno stores.
All of the locksmiths around here use this now.
I use on my lock cylinders and it keeps them working well.
I use it for many other things now where I would have used WD-40 before. It seems to work better. If works better and lasts longer on many different applications.
If you buy some, use only a very little squirt as it doesn't need much.
Interesting choice of colors, logo design and description for that PL-100 product...

The PL-100 is the best all-purpose lubricant with antifriction on the market. It is more effective, longer-lasting and faster-acting than any other look-alike product.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Abus PS88. Lock lube from a century old lock maker. I began using it in locks on boats 30 years ago and when I got my ST in 2006 I bought a can for the garage. For me an annual treatment forestalls any lock stickiness and it will cure the ST’s gas cap problem.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Tri Flow Superior Lubricant...
This question was asked here awhile back and a locksmith replied - saying that's all he will ever use.
That was good enough for me, so I tried it.
The stuff is great, I put in in the my locks on the bike - and everywhere.
Wherever you might think you need WD**, use this instead.
My can of WD** is now unused...
Amazon has it, also found it at my local Ace Hardware.
Costs a bit more, but worth it...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Interesting choice of colors, logo design and description for that PL-100 product...

The PL-100 is the best all-purpose lubricant with antifriction on the market. It is more effective, longer-lasting and faster-acting than any other look-alike product.
It is a Québec company that probably cheaped out on the translation services is my guess. The product works very well though.
Powdered graphite. Always works well in any lock. Any lubricant that leaves a liquid factor in the lock will attract dirt.
Same thought that I had. I went to three different locksmiths a couple of years ago looking for Lock-Ease, which is graphite powder with a carrier, because I didn't see it in the stores and because that is all that I ever used before and it never had failed me. Nobody has it anymore. All three of them seemed surprised that I was even asking for it. They all said that no one in the locksmith business has used graphite based products for years. They all recommended silicone or Teflon based products. The locksmith with whom I do business said that they have been using only this PL-100 for years, so I tried it. If you do drown the part it does not leave a wet film on it, but does leave a lubricant coating behind. So far it seems to work quite well.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I went to three different locksmiths a couple of years ago looking for Lock-Ease, which is graphite powder with a carrier, because I didn't see it in the stores and because that is all that I ever used before and it never had failed me. Nobody has it anymore.

keep in mind, this is almost like an oil thread, but just a little different.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Graphite will build up and cause sticky tumblers.... use it at home maybe but not on your bike. Most lubes (including WD40) use naptha as a solvent, the 3-in-1 uses heptane which evaporates more quickly and leaves the lube behind.
Any "magic" stuff usually isn't, if you look up the MSDS and see what's in it vs. the marketing.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
And how exactly is it different?
no discussion of JASO, 'energy conserving', wet clutches, synthetic vs. dino, etc. Its definitely a lubrication thread, just not one involving 'oil' directly.

Top Bottom