Gloves Best Procedure/Stuff To Help Restore/Preserve Deer Skin Riding Gloves

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Lexol is a good ole standby, and I know many leather-crafters still like mink oil, too.
One thing is for sure... there is no shortage of products or claims to restore / maintain leather goods.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sno-Seal is a wax based waterproofing product that has been around for years and years. It will waterproof boots, but it will also seal the leather's pores so that it cannot breathe. I've seen recommendations not to use it on a leather garment such as a jacket - it will also change the appearance of the leather.

If you know the brand, like a pair of Lee Park's gloves, go to the brand's website and see what they recommend...or call them. Here is what they sell for their gloves.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been using Lexol leather conditioner on all my leather products since 1973

Amazon.com: Lexol E301124700 Leather Deep Conditioner, 8 oz ( Packaging may vary ) , Grey : Automotive
The Lexol 'ad' says not to be used on glove leather - I are cornfused ... :think1:

• Recognized by auto restorers and detailing professionals as “the best”
  • Extends the life of leather by restoring the oils used in the tanning process
  • An odorless non-greasy aqueous emulsion, Lexol contains no chemical solvents
  • Not for use on napped leathers, suede or glove leather

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Sno-Seal is a wax based waterproofing product that has been around for years and years. It will waterproof boots, but it will also seal the leather's pores so that it cannot breathe. I've seen recommendations not to use it on a leather garment such as a jacket - it will also change the appearance of the leather.
I was going to make that same comment, I've used Sno-Seal on boots and I would be skeptical about using it on gloves because of the way it seals the pores. I noticed the Aussie product also mentioned beeswax as one of the ingredients so I'd be skeptical of that one too, but I don't know how much wax it actually contains.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
NikWax products are also good and allow the leather to breathe. I’ve used the conditioner and waterproofing products with good results.

STOC #
I also use lexol but don’t have deerskin. It needs stuff made for SOFT leather and one that doesn’t change the colour.
Olympiagloves.com has how to care for their deerskin gloves.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It appears from my research so far that conditioning 'deer skin/hide' gloves is a whole different deal that 'regular' leather. Hmm ...
Let us know what you discover. I too have a pair of (heck at least three pair) of deerskin mc gloves. But I'm inclined to just buy the Lee Parks cool aid since I might be replacing my old LP gloves this year.

I have no sentimental attachment to the mentioned gloves - they are for protection, and once they show their age, I'd expect the abrasion resistance decreases. Same idea as tires showing cracks....on their last legs fingers.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Things like mink oil and other leather conditioners are best applied after the leather has been cleaned and mositurized if the leather is old, dried out, and soiled to any extent.
Saddle Soap to clean and moisturize the leather first is a strong recommendation. Applying a conditioner to soiled, stained, and dried out leather doesn't yield the best results.
Take note that there are two families of saddle soap. One for lighter coloured leathers, and one for darker coloured. The one for dark coloured leather may cause light coloured leather to darken. After the saddle soap application and complete drying an application of a leather conditioner/oil of your choice is a good idea.

In my experience saddle soap works well on just about any type of leather, including deer skin. It is not recommended for suede or nubuck. Often you will also see the statement not recommended for delicate leather associated with saddle soap. I believe that the reference to delicate leather accounts for why it is often not mentioned for use on gloves. I have used it on gloves many times not only with no ill affects, but with good results. It is more a question of what type of leather it is as opposed to what it is used for.

I suggest that you bring your gloves by any tack shop in your area and ask their opinion. They will have the saddle soap for sure and will tell you if it should be used on your gloves, and they will be able to suggest a quality conditioner as well. They most likely will also have someone with whom they do business who is a leather restorer. You can go to that person for recommendations as well if you are still unsure or want more detailed information. I'm pretty sure that if you left your gloves with that person the first thing that they would do would be to clean and moisturize them with saddle soap.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Aerostitch sells deer or elkskin gloves they should know what to use...shoot them a text

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Got an email into Churchhill Gloves - the US Manufacturer that made them for Gordon's.
We'll see what their response is.
I didn't see anything in the Olympia GLOVE CARE about deer skin gloves so I emailed them.
So we'll see what Olympia has to say about it also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom