Gloves Best Procedure/Stuff To Help Restore/Preserve Deer Skin Riding Gloves

STOC #
Got an email into Churchhill Gloves - the US Manufacturer that made them for Gordon's.
We'll see what their response is.
I didn't see anything in the Olympia GLOVE CARE about deer skin gloves so I emailed them.
So we'll see what Olympia has to say about it also.
Try this

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
If the gloves are dried out and somewhat stiff, can that be saved?
On deerskin gloves that get wet, dried and hard, I put them on, pour a little Lexol in the palm, and roll my hands around like I am washing my hands real good working it into the gloves. Works great. Wow, 51 years of doing that and had no idea I wasn't supposed to be using it on my gloves lol.

I do know deerskin gloves can have different finishes depending on how they are tanned, dyed (spay, hand or dipped) and finish treated by the manufacturer

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
**NOTE - They said 'leather conditioner' in the article but I was hoping they would recommend one or two products.
Yes, I was a bit disappointed at that too. Lot of generalities, but not too many specifics. For cleaning, he suggested a leather cleaning product - saddle soap is the only one I know of.

I looked at their gloves (as suggested in the article) but was disappointed. The Lee Parks gloves have a reinforcing patch on the knckles that does not compromise their flexibility or feel.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have found one article elsewhere that recommends Bick Leather Conditioner and some sort of saddle soap.
Saddle soap seems to the 'cleaner' of choice so I just need to chose the conditioner.
I prefer to stay away from anything that 'seals the pores' as I don't think that is good for deer skin stuff.
Before I spend any coin, I hope I will hear back from Churchhill and/or Olympia with some specifics.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
For dry and stiff leather stuff, I usually clean with saddle soap before using a leather conditioner.
For one thing, it makes sense to me, to clean the leather before "conditioning."
I have since learned, as posted here, many conditioners do actually seal the pores to aid in waterproofing, but that's not always desired.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another thing I am pursuing is to see if I can get the same gloves from Churchhill that they sold to Gordon's to make heated gloves.
If I can, there is a feller that supposedly can add electric 'heat' to any gloves.
That should sort of 'replicate' the Gordon's heated gloves that I have and truly love - best heated gloves I've ever owned and I've owned pretty much all of the major brands.
I just hate that Gordon's went out of business but I think Covid did them in.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I have 20ish year old Z leather gloves and were to the point of thinking i need to retire them. Love them! But were dry and stiff.
(Remember those? You send them l/r hand print and they make gloves custom with deer leather)
I did the saddle soap job, work it in hard with a toothbrush, sit overnight, then hit again with Lexol conditioner plus toothbrush. Another overnite and more Lexol.
It worked really good to the point that I am not looking for new gloves and back to using my well broken in Deertracks. Yea!

Thanks to all for the tips. :thumb:

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got some Fiebings Saddle Soap and some Bick 4 Leather Conditioner I am going to try.
The good thing about the Bick stuff it supposedly does not contain any wax products that will clog up the pores.
We'll see when I get one of those Round Tuits and try it. ;)

Top Bottom