Beware of Flying Mattresses

Bike
2010 ST1300
I was riding home a week ago on Ohio 91, heading north from a ride with a buddy on one of our beautiful spring days late in this crazy fall. The two or four lane road had opened up to a 6 or 7 lane road in the midst of several shopping centers. I had pulled up to a red light behind a car, maybe 10 or 12' back, in gear, figuring if i needed to, I could ride around his right side since I was in the left most lane. Traffic was moderately heavy and a couple of cars pulled up on my right close to the car ahead, sealing off that escape route. A car pulled up behind me, leaving a comfortable space, and more soon followed. I realized I was boxed in - protected, even by all the cars - and relaxed, bike in neutral.

The stoplight was what I call a divided light, both sides get a green turn arrow and no green light, then the arrows go red, and the green comes on for both directions. We got the arrow and I snicked into 1st, nobody in my lane was turning and it was not mandatory for this lane despite being the far left lane. Remember I was headed northbound. Suddenly a red pickup driving eastbound whizzed around the corner heading south in his curb lane. Obviously, he was beating a red light. At the apogee of his turn, two unsecured, brand new queen or king sized mattresses were ejected from the back of his pickup like dual clay pigeons being launched simultaneously. They cleared the first lane to the pickup's left, slammed down in the next lane and started sliding across the road, the first one toward me, the second aiming for a car somewhere behind me. I inched forward - the light was still red a car not far ahead of me, and the mattress, still sliding but protected in its heavy plastic cover, thudded into the wheel of the car behind me. Had it hit me and knocked the wheels out from under the bike, I would have fallen onto a nice soft, brand new, bedbug free mattress.

Under slightly different circumstances, I could see those flying mattresses taking out a rider heading south across the intersection as the pickup turned. Be careful out there!

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Moments like those have lasting impacts on how we see our driving environment. It makes you realize that things can change dramatically in a second. Pay attention or else I always try to tell myself.

Bike
VStrom 650
I was riding home a week ago on Ohio 91, heading north from a ride with a buddy on one of our beautiful spring days late in this crazy fall. The two or four lane road had opened up to a 6 or 7 lane road in the midst of several shopping centers. I had pulled up to a red light behind a car, maybe 10 or 12' back, in gear, figuring if i needed to, I could ride around his right side since I was in the left most lane. Traffic was moderately heavy and a couple of cars pulled up on my right close to the car ahead, sealing off that escape route. A car pulled up behind me, leaving a comfortable space, and more soon followed. I realized I was boxed in - protected, even by all the cars - and relaxed, bike in neutral.

The stoplight was what I call a divided light, both sides get a green turn arrow and no green light, then the arrows go red, and the green comes on for both directions. We got the arrow and I snicked into 1st, nobody in my lane was turning and it was not mandatory for this lane despite being the far left lane. Remember I was headed northbound. Suddenly a red pickup driving eastbound whizzed around the corner heading south in his curb lane. Obviously, he was beating a red light. At the apogee of his turn, two unsecured, brand new queen or king sized mattresses were ejected from the back of his pickup like dual clay pigeons being launched simultaneously. They cleared the first lane to the pickup's left, slammed down in the next lane and started sliding across the road, the first one toward me, the second aiming for a car somewhere behind me. I inched forward - the light was still red a car not far ahead of me, and the mattress, still sliding but protected in its heavy plastic cover, thudded into the wheel of the car behind me. Had it hit me and knocked the wheels out from under the bike, I would have fallen onto a nice soft, brand new, bedbug free mattress.

Under slightly different circumstances, I could see those flying mattresses taking out a rider heading south across the intersection as the pickup turned. Be careful out there!
Time to buy a lottery ticket......
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I would have got off my bike and peed on it. Kayaks make me nervous around here. Also boats with tubes and other floaties thrown inside. I was taking a motorcycle class in Dallas right next to the huge overpass, round about thingy. A ladder fell off a truck and nobody picked it up. I heard several cars run it over for over an hour before it was moved off the road.

Bike
VStrom 650
I would have got off my bike and peed on it. Kayaks make me nervous around here. Also boats with tubes and other floaties thrown inside. I was taking a motorcycle class in Dallas right next to the huge overpass, round about thingy. A ladder fell off a truck and nobody picked it up. I heard several cars run it over for over an hour before it was moved off the road.
Road debris is very common as we all know. It used to be entertaining running across three lanes of the M6, picking up the debris as you went and taking a breather in the central reservation before running back to the hard shoulder with debris in hand. Ladders were common, might still have a set in the garage, but I'd want a rolling block for a canoe. Never found a mattress, I don't think so anyway.
Upt'North.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
A few years back, a pickup, loaded with about 30 sticks of lumber, hurried to pull out in front of me. 6 1/2 ft bed, with 8ft lumber, hanging over his closed tailgate. He turned right, his lumber went left, right into incoming traffic on the 2 lane road. I stopped and watched the first 3 oncoming cars shed a lot of plastic and chrome as they hit the lumber at 45 MPH.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Moments like those have lasting impacts on how we see our driving environment. It makes you realize that things can change dramatically in a second. Pay attention or else I always try to tell myself.
Absolutely. Life as we have known it for years or decades can change in a moment. How many older people slip on ice or stairs, bump their head, and.... It is not always a matter of paying attention. Boxed in as I was, there was nothing to be done except watch the mattress (could have been a stack of lumber, too - see below) slide toward me. And I thought I did all the right things, bike in gear, look for escape route, etc. As I drove away I was laughing at the absurdity and composing headlines for the local paper.

Not as uncommon as you may think.
No its not. I've seen folks driving with a mattress atop their sedan with one hand on the wheel, one out the window holding on to said mattress with their left hand. Sometimes its even tied on with one piece of twine looped through the back windows. I've seen at least one of these slide down the windshield and hood at a stoplight. And, yes, read about folks hitting mattresses in the road.

A few years back, a pickup, loaded with about 30 sticks of lumber, hurried to pull out in front of me. 6 1/2 ft bed, with 8ft lumber, hanging over his closed tailgate. He turned right, his lumber went left, right into incoming traffic on the 2 lane road. I stopped and watched the first 3 oncoming cars shed a lot of plastic and chrome as they hit the lumber at 45 MPH.
Go to any Hopot, park by the lumber pickup/exit and watch how guys load their pickups. What is surprising is that our roads are not covered with mattresses, lumber, paint, clothing, old furniture, etc. Wait a minute. They are!

Once picked up a full bucket of drywall mud off the side of the road. Gave it to a friend who thanked me profusely.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Road debris is very common as we all know. It used to be entertaining running across three lanes of the M6, picking up the debris as you went Upt'North.
I'm sure the drivers who saw you thought it was a game. Can we nail the fella before he makes it to the safe zone...? (Perhaps in other countries on the continent, and maybe not GB, but certainly in Paris during rush hour, Rome and Istanbul.)

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I believe a rider was killed by a mattress a few years ago in SoCal.
I had a very close call with a ladder coming off a roof rack back in 1976 while riding a Kawasaki Z1. I actually rode up and through the sliding ladder as it was sliding towards me on the freeway. I had enough sense with my dirt riding skills to stand up and gas-it enough to get the wheel onto the first rung of the ladder and with application of full throttle the rear wheel pulled the ladder right through and out. My heart was beating holes in my chest after that experience.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
We have a law against unsecured loads in WA. Hope that driver got a ticket. Could have killed someone..... :eek:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Locally, mattresses can be held down by your spare kids. Who needs an expensive tiedown? Saw one recently with a mattress on the car roof, straps through the open windows front and rear, with a medium sized kid on top hanging on pretty well for 55 or so. The mattress was literally flying above the roof. A rather hostile looking cop pulled them over as my wife was talking with a 911 operator. But...this is Texas. Native Texans are born well equipped with common sense or none at all.....there seem to be few in between.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Not a mattress story, but I once saw a car pulling a trailer down the highway with two guys standing in it holding up a refrigerator. In Texas lol...

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Not a mattress story, but I once saw a car pulling a trailer down the highway with two guys standing in it holding up a refrigerator. In Texas lol...
They do that in Ohio too. Musta learned down there...

Top Bottom