Beware of Flying Mattresses

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I want to know how they go those springs off that car's driveshaft. The newbie in the shop?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Sometimes the most trivial items can create hazard...

wind blowing a large, empty, thick plastic bag (the heavy kind farmers have fertilizer in) across the road
of course in a turn, leaned, right underneath the front wheel...
two layers of thick PET-foil on top of each other provide literally ZERO friction... :mw1:

Speaking of fertilizer... comes in circular, aprox 1mm sized, hard packed granulate, right?
rural roads in springtime, farmers are busy, the hoppers on the spreaders filled to the brim and beyond...
their heavy plants, hopping on big bouncy wheels, shaking off the excess...
You dart down the road, thinking "...hmm, white powdery stuff on the tarmac ahead?..."
YEE-HAW!!! That stuff is like ball-bearings!!! :scared2: :biggrin:

in retrospect are close calls not so infrequent...

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I picked up chicken wire laying in the grass in a field when I was a kid. Knobby tire picked it up and jammed it between the tire and the forks locking up the front tire. Good thing I was young and landed in the grass.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Road debris is very common as we all know. It used to be entertaining running across three lanes of the M6, picking up the debris as you went and taking a breather in the central reservation before running back to the hard shoulder with debris in hand. Ladders were common, might still have a set in the garage, but I'd want a rolling block for a canoe. Never found a mattress, I don't think so anyway.
Upt'North.
That brings back happy memories!
Down south ours was the M27 and A3M. Timing was essential of course, and it always brought to mind that saying about 'The quick and the dead', and doing the three lane dash and pick-up in rush hour proved which group you'd be in... :biggrin:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It used to be entertaining running across three lanes of the M6, picking up the debris as you went and taking a breather in the central reservation before running back to the hard shoulder with debris in hand.
Had such with 2 surfboards (years ago, while they where fashionable...), that flew over the medial from the opposite lane(!) due to broken roof-rack...

Last edited:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Dodged 5 or so sheets of 4 x 8 sheets of chip board floating in the air off a pick- up in Rome New York. Missed "surfing" by about 2 seconds!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dodged 5 or so sheets of 4 x 8 sheets of chip board floating in the air off a pick- up in Rome New York.
Which reminds me...
As the temps are dropping now, beware of ice sheets falling of semis...
Those can easily burst through the windscreen of a car, not to imagine what such can do to a rider...

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Yesterday saw a four wheel recreational vehicle fall out of pickup bed. I guess he set the brakes and thought that would keep things in place, didn’t quite work out. He was stopped at a traffic light and must have accelerated too hard from stop. It didn’t look like it hit the car behind him and the four wheeler didn’t look any worse for wear.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Saw one recently with a mattress on the car roof, straps through the open windows front and rear, with a medium sized kid on top hanging on pretty well for 55 or so.
Must have have been a relative to the guy that had his kid in the back of his cube van roll up the door and hold a piece of card over the license plates in order to avoid toll charges.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Yesterday saw a four wheel recreational vehicle fall out of pickup bed. I guess he set the brakes and thought that would keep things in place, didn’t quite work out. He was stopped at a traffic light and must have accelerated too hard from stop. It didn’t look like it hit the car behind him and the four wheeler didn’t look any worse for wear.
Did you at least rescue the RV and take it home like other road debris mentioned in other posts?

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
A friend was driving down the interstate in his car when he was visited by an unsecured dresser. Just because someone has a pickup doesn't mean he has a clue about securing a load. Like the old sgt said on Hill Street Blues, Be careful, it's dangerous out there.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
A friend's mom was behind a medical van which took off from a light, the back door opened, and a container fell out. She stopped, picked it up and opened it, and discovered it held a human toe packed in ice. You know who she called?

A toe truck.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
A friend's mom was behind a medical van which took off from a light, the back door opened, and a container fell out. She stopped, picked it up and opened it, and discovered it held a human toe packed in ice. You know who she called?
A toe truck.
Should have mailed it to the Sourdough Saloon so they could serve it up in a Sourtoe Cocktail.

Bike
ST1300
I heading down the interstate one day to a luncheon meeting at work. I’ve got a broken leg & crutches. There’s a S curve where I-30 crosses White Rock creek. I’m in the left lane, against the barrier when I notice up ahead a small pickup with a refrigerator standing up in the bed. In the first part of the S-curve see the refrigerator lean one way and as the truck hits the next part of the curve it leans the other way goes over the bed of the truck and tumbles towards the left lane of the freeway. This is one of those days that made me a firm believer in ABS. Not only did I have to dodge the refrigerator I had to dodge the cars trying to get out of the refrigerators way. It tumbled all the way over to the center wall. Cars were bouncing off of it as well as each other. Still surprised I made it through that without a scratch. I made it to lunch and my heart was still racing.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You were riding with a broken leg and crutches? That sounds pretty exciting!

Top Bottom