Beware of Flying Mattresses

Bike
ST1300
I did do that, but this time I was in the Tundra. Being off work and stuck at home for 4 months I got bored, so I snuck in a few rides. No crutches but took the cane.

Well I'll take a mattress over a stove.... Had a stove fly off the back of a junk trunk in Phoenix in 1998... Smashed into my front forks, sent me into the center barrier... in the hospital for five months..... Truck driver was never found/caught. Totaled my bike (duh). Thank god for good helmet and good leathers....

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Wow! I never thought that mattresses could be delivered that way...
My friend worked at famous tate. He didn't deliver mattresses, but he received orders and controlled the shipping process. He said that they paid much attention to it and that it was very important for their company's reputation to deliver the products properly. It seems not all companies have such a policy.

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I saw an amazing sight just last week on my drive home from work.

There is a short stretch of road where the road takes a fairly tight curve and is at a fairly steep incline. I was coming down the incline and there was a Uhaul type box truck stopped in the oncoming lane with its emergency flashers on. As I approached the truck I noticed some people in the road and it became apparent that this box truck had been loaded with an entire house load of furniture, appliances and personal belongings that had slipped out of the truck and now were deposited in the middle of the road in the curve. There were about 5 guys wrestling with a refrigerator and stove to get them out of the road and debris was everywhere. I'm guessing the back door was not secured and the combination of the steep hill and maybe hitting the accelerator cause the whole load to eject out of the truck box.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
In the fall of 2006 or 2007 (long ago) I was riding up Hwy 12 from Orofino ID towards Lolo MT. I passed a road sweeper that was headed East, moving as fast as a road sweeper can, and thought to myself "I wonder why?". A few miles further on there was a fellow at the side of the road waving at me. Lots of people had admired my ST1300 and waved but this fellow was also waving a SLOW sign. Curiouser and curiouser. I slowed to about 15 mph and rounded the next corner into a sea of peas. It was harvest time and a tipped over double semitrailer load of legumes was spread across the road. Those things are like ball bearings. I was very lucky to stay upright and my memory, every time I ride Lolo Pass, is "oh yeah, I almost died here".

Top Bottom