BMW BIKES

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
What’s with the recall l just read on stormtroopers?for drive shafts.
Not savvy enuf to attach it here. Perhaps even old news. Just my whatsup.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Only related to GS and Police RTs, it's a software update that supposedly fixes it. I haven't paid much attention to it since it doesn't currently affect civilian RTs.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
There was a recall in the last year or so, for a little rubber "duckbill" flapper to allow water to drain from the final drive.
It was noted on ADVrider, some u-joints were showing signs of rustination, which could lead to premature ruination.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Possible broken transmission input shafts internal to the gearbox. Not the driveshaft per se but what can you say?

Bike
2000 ST1100
I guess the Engineer's know more than I do but I wonder how the software change will keep the input shaft from a mechanical break? Or why RT not included in recall? Same engine and drive train although the gearing ratio's maybe different. Oh well it still is my dream bike once my st1100 breaks down but I been waiting for 23 years and the dang thing won't break down;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess the Engineer's know more than I do but I wonder how the software change will keep the input shaft from a mechanical break? Or why RT not included in recall? Same engine and drive train although the gearing ratio's maybe different. Oh well it still is my dream bike once my st1100 breaks down but I been waiting for 23 years and the dang thing won't break down;)
The GS and RTP have different gear ratios due to low speed handling requirements from my understanding.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It is a weakness in the transmission input shaft that under hard or sudden throttle application can cause the transmission shaft to break. The fix is to reprogram the ECU to prevent the sudden shock load that can happen with abrupt throttle inputs. There is no mechanical fix it is just a software update to protect the gearbox.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The GS and RTP have different gear ratios due to low speed handling requirements from my understanding.
They do have a lower final drive ratio plus the ride by wire software is charged with moderating the power output of the engine. Honda had a somewhat similar issue with the early VFR1200F models and "softened" the available power in the first three gears so the cardian shaft was not overstressed. I think that was the first two years of production then by the third year the shaft was strengthened and engine output could be raised.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Oh well it still is my dream bike once my st1100 breaks down but I been waiting for 23 years and the dang thing won't break down;)
You might as well indulge in your dream. Not too many of us are getting younger and it is unlikely your 1100 is going to give up the ghost. Especially now that it knows what you want.

TPadden

Tom Padden
It is a weakness in the transmission input shaft that under hard or sudden throttle application can cause the transmission shaft to break. The fix is to reprogram the ECU to prevent the sudden shock load that can happen with abrupt throttle inputs. There is no mechanical fix it is just a software update to protect the gearbox.
It's the ECU making those throttle inputs when both wheels are airborn at speed and the sudden gearbox shock load during landing from what I've read... hence a GS and RT-Police recall and software fix. ;)

Tom

Bike
2000 ST1100
OK now I got it. I recall they had to do that with the Yamaha FJR that had the second gear malfunction. The recall for that was a engine disassembly to replace the gear and reassembly of engine. Finally a new software update to quell the shock load of the abrupt first to second gear change. Some said they did not notice the difference and some did after the fix

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
... Oh well it still is my dream bike once my st1100 breaks down but I been waiting for 23 years and the dang thing won't break down;)
And don't hold your breath on that one - it might still be a while! :biggrin:
You might as well indulge in your dream. Not too many of us are getting younger and it is unlikely your 1100 is going to give up the ghost. Especially now that it knows what you want.
What @Uncle Phil and @SMSW said. I didn't buy my 1300 because my 1100 was worn out, I just felt a deserved a new pair of sneakers! Not regretting it one bit!!

Bike
VStrom 650
The recall is apparently for 440,000 bikes. That's not a typo. But BMW are not calling it a recall......yet. That'll probably be after a fatality or two..
Apparently it's a corrosion issue.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
The recall is apparently for 440,000 bikes. That's not a typo. But BMW are not calling it a recall......yet. That'll probably be after a fatality or two..
Apparently it's a corrosion issue.
Where do you get your information? Reference please? Perhaps software corrosion? Mellow, what happened to the B.S. flag emoji? :rofl1:

"On January 18, 2023, BMW Motorrad and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration issued campaign number 23V011000, recalling about 18,500 BMW R 1250 GS, GSA and RTP (authority) motorcycles for a problem with the gearbox input shaft...The remedy for this problem, according to the recall notice, is an update to the engine control unit’s software, which will be performed for affected motorcycles without charge to their owners. That the solution is a software update indicates there are no faulty parts needing replaced. "

Tom

The actual recall:

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I can't add the link it's on Bennets in the UK. If someone could oblige.
440,000 worldwide is quoted. No bull. They could be wrong of course but they are normally reliable.
If there's any BS it's not coming from me but there may be a wiff blowing across the pond my way.
I think valium should be prescribed to some on this site, and again that's not me.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Note to self.
Don't tell a BMW owner there's a problem with their bike.
They don't like it..............it's just character........... :crackup:

Top Bottom