BMW K1300GT riding impressions

I've had my BMW K1300GT for nearly 1000 miles now. A couple of weeks ago I went for a ride with two of my closest friends on this site. I let each take a spin, not to get feed back but just to get it over with:D Each summarized his impressions and emailed them to me. Here is one of the spontaneous, unsolicited emails.

Hi, guys.

Thanks again, John, for letting us have a go at your GT yesterday. Even though Carl was clearly bored by the experience, I had fun. ;-) As I so often do, I banged around my thoughts on the day’s experience while I made my way home and then, as my day was winding down, I put my thoughts onto paper…er, into electrons.

So the K1300GT has 103 things the ST needs: power power power and 100 pounds less weight. It's an inline 4 so you need to rev it to get to the torque but when you do holy freaking cow! And the drop in mass is apparent as soon as you pull it off the sidestand, then moving at parking lot speed, and then every time you lean into a curve. It holds a line like a rock. There’s something about the front end that feels strangely vague to me. The duolever suspension doesn't give feedback like forks. It's kind of like a car with electric power steering...it does the job but doesn't tell you what's going on. Maybe it just takes getting used to. (John, what are you doing later?) It’s not that it doesn’t handle beautifully – it does – it just isolates me from what’s happening. Interesting that BMW’s S1000RR sport bike uses forks.

The seating position is upright and the bar height is adjustable to several stops. Nice! What does that involve? A couple castings and two bolts. Hello, every other motorcycle manufacturer in the world?! The pegs were very high, I thought. That's OK when you hug the tank with your legs leaning into a turn because you feel locked into the machine, much more than I do on the ST. No contest. I think my knees would be dying before too long, however.

The LCD electronic info display in the center of the dash was useless since all I could see in the screen was my white helmet. Might be because my ride was south and then back north and the mid-day sun was bright and low in the November sky. Maybe my particular torso height and posture created the perfect reflection coefficient. Maybe if I grew another 10 inches? I couldn't see the screen unless I was in the shade and shifted my head to one side. John, I’ll have to ride your bike again across a range of compass points and sky conditions to know for sure. (What are you doing later?)

I played with the ESA suspension. It was hard to tell what setting I was in because the road was smooth and the difference between settings seems subtle, at least in the conditions of yesterday’s ride. I could hardly see the LCD screen to read the setting icon and it took a couple tries to get the logic of the push button. (Push once to enter ESA mode, then push again to cycle through settings...COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT.) NORMAL felt best to me. I'd likely leave it there, but I’d need more saddle time on a different range of road surfaces to know. (What are you doing later?) In all settings the GT handles beautifully.

The throttle has instant response and it doesn’t have that instant on/off “light switch” feel that some fuel injected bikes (the ST1300 comes to mind) are plagued with. There's zero driveline slop, very chain-like in that respect.

After 20 minutes at a spirited pace on a beautiful river road, I got off the bike and my hands, forearms and feet were all tingly from a near constant buzz in the chassis. John, you said something about this while we were still kicking tires and I wasn't sure what you meant but after a ride I understand. The inline 4’s I’ve ridden have all been smaller and less sophisticated bikes than the GT, but maybe that buzz they share is just an inline 4 characteristic. It's a powerful free-revving motor (Weeeee!) but it doesn't have the smoothness of a V4. Nature of the beast. I think it would be fatiguing to ride this bike a long way, but I’d need to ride it for a long distance to know for sure. (What are you doing later?) I bet the new BMW K1600GT’s 6 cylinder motor will address the smoothness issue in spades, although that bike is supposed to weigh about as much as an ST1300. I’m definitely interested in dropping the weight of any ST replacement.

It's definitely nice having most of the electronic farkles I’d want plus heated grips and seat standard. There's even a "regular" turn signal switch now (I never understood why BMW needed 3 switches for the turn signals). John, you said that tapping into BMW’s CANBUS wiring to add a fuse block is dicey at best and I have read that it voids your warranty. Is that the case? You also said the sales guy told you not to use the OEM power outlet for heated gear. Is that because of the design load of the wiring isn’t up to the draw from a heated jacket? Yes, you can go straight to the battery but how would you add a relay in such a scenario? If you can’t, anything electrical you add comes hot off the battery. Does BMW offer a factory approved fuse block or accessory harness (I’m thinking Honda Quartet Harness here).

John you said a couple time that the GT takes 2nd place to your ST for all day comfort and after 20 minutes in the saddle I expect you are right. Of course I may have to ride an ST all day to catch up! I was working hard to keep up with you, especially those roads right after Carl’s gas stop, and you were breezing through the curves. I give the GT high marks for carving. It rocks in that role and you took us on a great route to prove it.

As I rode home I asked myself, “Bones, would you buy one of these?” Eventually I concluded, “Doubtful.” I loved the power and weight advantages over the ST, but I’m too in love with a V4’s smoothness and torque characteristics and that makes me want a VFR1200 “GT” which (hopefully!) would have similar overall performance and accoutrements but with a sweet Honda V4. I just loved the mill in the new VFRs I rode last summer and in September but I couldn’t take their riding position for long.

So, John, if you find yourself needing someone to keep an eye on your GT while you’re in Portugal for the weekend or whatever, I’ll be glad to help you.  Don’t bother asking Carl, he’ll be busy working on his anvil…LOL!

Best,
Bones

OP
OP
AgSTreak
Which was followed by this reply.

But Bones, the Anvil is lonely with only smaller siblings sharing the garage. :-D

Yes Sir John, thank you again for your generosity in letting us flog? I mean uh? thrash? I mean uh? ?try out? yeah, that?s it? ?TRY OUT? your new baby. It was thromping good fun :-D

Good write up Bones, though I?m not sure yet whether I agree on the front end feedback yet. I?d need considerably more riding to decide that, hear that John? There?s little doubt in my mind that forks are the best at feedback on a racing machine. Perhaps that would be so on gnarly back roads as well, again, I?d have to ride more to decide 

Personally for me it?s still 100 lb. overweight, BUT, there certainly is a lot there to go towards forgiving that sin. I am personally certain that 540 to 580lb. wet is optimal in a sport touring bike, but no one makes it beyond Ducati or the boxer motor bike. Sure enough I like the GT immediately over the ST given cornering feel, planted stance, adjustable suspension that actually works, and extra power that is a pleasure (which may be a bit too seductive for attracting extra speeding citations).

As to vibration, I have been running a vibrating inline 4 for a few seasons now, and truly one can manage to deal with that sort of thing in a motorcycle, unless it causes real pain at some point. I have ridden the Bandit for 16 hour days Bones, and it vibrates considerably more. I didn?t think to look and see if bar ends are on the BMW, or if they are the normal changeable sort. But, often going to a particularly heavy bar end helps with bar vibration if it becomes an issue long term. Heck the Intruder Cruiser I had used to make my feet and legs go numb with vibration at the 10 mile mark, hands to follow at the 20 mile mark. You guys are truly spoiled :-D

The Beemer for a long distance two up machine, I could deal with the weight and look at Corbin (maybe Sargent) seat options. I?ve found Corbins to be a bit better (only after broken in for 800 to 1000 miles) than the Sargents I?ve had, but that?s my boney behind. The Corbins are normally better looking too. But they feel like a wooden seat at first, then the foam breaks down into the shape of your arse.

For me I still need to get a ride on an ST3 Ducati as well as an RT. MAYBE a Triumph GT. The Beemer is definitely a top of the line bike though. For less than touring length trips, it?s still a big heavy machine. Then again a second bike fixes that pretty well. A trip to Canada on the BMW with another seat fitted, would be a pleasure, a trip to town to get milk or a day ride in the Cattskills, the SV would be calling me.

I will say that Bones ?might? be correct, in that Honda may do things right with the VFR ?T? however I?m not holding out much hope. First Honda loves making things just too damn heavy for some odd reason, I don?t get their obsession with fatty bikes. Second the V4 while sweetly, silky smooth, also tends to serious top heaviness (unless the new configuration mitigates that adequately). The power won?t be there, though it will be adequate. Honda sure as hell completely missed the mark with the adventure (?????) bike they came out with. What a horrid pork-o-lishous ugly, useless on even a fire road, joke. Of course they could fool me with the new sport tourer when it lands in the dealerships, but I?m doubtful.

OK Bones, you might consider sending this BMW impression on to your Honda Contact. Don?t forget to add that the Beemers cruise control is a sweet idea for those long trips.

Here?s your photos. I?m sending identical individual emails to you guys, except for the attachment photos (so the attachment sizes won?t get too large).

Here?s one man?s video opinion of the Beemer http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5687677/14904715

Carl

OP
OP
AgSTreak
OK, here are my impressions:
Power- This is an easy one. Tons and tons are available, everywhere and all the time. There are 160 hp at the engine, 145 hp at the rear wheel. Realistically, it?s fun to have all this power but I would trade a few ponies for less weight and/or better mileage. On the other hand, there is something to be said about bragging rights. The fuel injection is perfect with no hesitation. Driveline lash is barely perceptible, almost nonexistent.
Gas mileage- I?m getting a little over 40 mpg. This weekend I took a ?gentle? tour and easily increased that into the mid-forties. I believe the claimed 50+ mpg is doable, but who rides at 56 mph? I feel I can easily get 230 miles out of the 6.3 gallon tank with plenty of reserve. I will miss the ST?s 300+ range.
Smoothness- Only the Wing is smoother than the ST. My VFR800 is a little rougher than the ST and a little smoother than the GT down low. Up where the power starts to really matter the VFR starts to vibrate and so does the ST. The GT does use vibration to warn you as you approach warp speed. At some rpms, the vibration disappears completely. As far as vibration strong enough to numb my hands, I rode the bike all day and my hands were fine when I got home. I was somewhat tired at that point. That was probably a combination of too little sleep the night before and spending the day on a m/c unfamiliar to me. Holding on for dear life during acceleration also tires one. I?ve only filled the tank twice.
Handling- I?ve noticed my riding style has changed. Because the GT is so flickable, I use the handlebars to do much of my steering now. I still use some body english on long sweepers. As some writer said, the GT feels like it?s on a magnetic rail. I agree, the Germans certainly know how to design great handling machines. The ST is a very good handling bike too. It?s just a little porky, not as intuitive and I never thought I would say this, a little sluggish.
Handling II- There was never a time on Sunday I felt over my head. This is a new bike to me and as such, I rode it conservatively. The GT inspires confidence and perhaps because of my earlier experiences with a couple of BMW airheads, it just felt right. There was never a time during the ride I felt I could not have gone faster, safely. These were my roads and many times I slowed down because I didn?t want you to be surprised by a quirky transition. Other times I slowed because you were fading in the distance. Remember, these are my roads, even the flat straight parts. I don?t notice the front end vagueness. The GT goes where you point its front end, quickly with no complaints. I can even tell whether the front wheel has gone over a twig or a stone. The ESA system is superb. I?ll never buy a m/c without the ability to adjust the suspension on the fly again. OK, not entirely true but I love it. A bike with this much power needs the Automatic Stability Control (ASC). I don?t know if it has kicked in yet, but I?m glad it?s there.
Ergonomics- The GT?s seating position is similar to the ST?s. At full height, as set by the dealer, the handlebars were too high and upright for me, but they?re adjustable. I dropped them one slot and may drop them again, if needed. I found the handlebars on the ST were nearly perfect for me but I needed serious risers on the VFR (I also lowered the pegs 1?). My knees feel like they?re high on the GT but my old knees haven?t complained yet. Only a long trip will tell. The knee position actually seems to help the handling, thanks Carl. Note: after 500 miles, the peg height feels pretty natural to me.
Overall riding comfort- The cockpit is spacious and the windshield and fairing do a great job of moving the air around you. The GT came with a V-Stream windshield which is higher and wider than I like. In cold weather the shield shapes a pocket of calm air around you, in warmer times, I may go back to the OEM shield. My ST had the stock windshield and Laminar Lip, lowered to the max. I like a little bit of air hitting my helmet and face especially in the summer. I?m not sure about the rain protection but BMW?s are supposed to be great in bad weather. I?m not ready to get her wet yet. The seat is still a question. So far, no real problems but I plan to attend CampSTOC and that should answer lots of questions. I notice that the seat is beginning to conform to my seating position a little. Of course it could be my butt that?s conforming to the seat. Reading the display can be difficult in direct sunlight. Although ST has issues with its display, it is better.
Costs- The basic BMW is not much more expensive than the ST1300 with ABS. Add in the options and the cost goes up quickly. The cost of ownership for the BMW is higher, no contest. Much of the scheduled maintenance must be performed by the dealer.

OP
OP
AgSTreak
Yes, I know this has been a little wordy but that's the price of three opinions. Two opinions I respect, mine I take with a grain of salt.:p:

HondaDave

David Hamlin
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have owned big Hondas since 1984 and nothing but Hondas. I set out to change all that recently. Had made a decision to seriously look at getting the K1300GT. A few stops to the local dealerships, sitting on a few. I started to dig deeper and went to the forums. Well, that was enough to snap me back to reality. With the reports of fuel injection and software problems and not so great dealer support, I quickly eased back into my search for an update to my ST110, a ST1300. Happily now have a 2007 ST1300. I may be installing the all electric cruise control.

:wht13:

OP
OP
AgSTreak
Moving on from a trusty old friend was not an easy decision. So when I moved to Honda's from BMW's back in '03 it was tough move. At the time the K1200 and the R1150 just didn't feel right. I've had a good relationship with my ST but it was time to move on. Sat on a C14, too much like the ST, you could feel the weight. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Triumph Sprint GT. It felt better than the C14 but needed a lot of farkling. All I had to do was arrange for a test ride and I'm sure I would have bought one. Decided to stop at a BMW dealer before going home and that ended my search. Reliability is much improved, especially on later 2010s. I'll take my chances with the dealer. My Honda dealer was pretty good but I did have a few issues with the service.
Good luck with your 2007, I know I'll miss my '03. Still have my VFR:D

Nice write ups!

Interesting how perceptions vary from rider to rider. One of the constants seemed to be how less weight equals a more competant handling sport-touring bike. I could not agree more, as this is what the RT has taught me.

Relative to engine smoothness.....the operative word is perspective. As inline 4's go, I've never ridden a smoother I4 than the K13GT. A set of grip puppies, and manic salamander weights, plus Verholen risers to take a bit more weight off the hands would make the K13GT about perfect. Then again, I ride my RT at a steady 85-90mph on the highway, and I don't even feel the boxer.

The K bike has had it's share of nits, and seemingly by late '09 and '10, they have gotten that bike to a point where I would have no big concerns about reliability. BMW really has dialed it in nicely.

It's an honest shame that the K13GT is going away and being replaced by a bike that weighs 80lbs more. When I went from the ST to the RT the fun factor in the corners went up exponentially.

OP
OP
AgSTreak
I couldn't agree with you more, Judge. The small amount of vibration is just enough to let me know I'm tempting fate (The Law, I have never gotten a speeding ticket). I finally had a chance to try the cruise control. It works beautifully and makes me wonder what the big deal is about putting it on all long distance bikes.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Just had time to look in and saw this John.
Great write up, VERY cool bike! :bow1:
Thank you so much for letting me wail... uh swing a leg over it. Man that motor is a hoot. You're a good Bud. :)

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Interesting that BMW?s S1000RR sport bike uses forks.
Excellent write-up, very interesting reading.

Just an observation about BMW's S1000RR using conventional forks; it's a sports bike built to win at World Superbike level. Conventional forks alter the geometry under braking and acceleration and racers need this ability to get the most out of the bike's handling and steering.

The duo-lever feels remote because it doesn't dive, (much), under braking. It isolates the steering function from braking and suspension and is actually a far better system 99% of the time. You can dial in dive if you want to, (but not on the production versions), in fact, you can even dial in the front end to rise under braking by altering the lengths of the linkages.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I don't care how much other folks say, or don't say, about the 1300GT. If I had the means, I'd be all over it like stink on...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The duo-lever feels remote because it doesn't dive, (much), under braking. It isolates the steering function from braking and suspension and is actually a far better system 99% of the time.
The BMWs I've ridden with the non-conventional front ends (R1150 RT, R1150GS, R1200RT and K1300GT) have all felt numb to me. It's not that the bikes don't handle well, they do, I just don't like the lack of "feel" that results from the BMW front end. YMMV.

Excellent write-up, very interesting reading.

Just an observation about BMW's S1000RR using conventional forks; it's a sports bike built to win at World Superbike level. Conventional forks alter the geometry under braking and acceleration and racers need this ability to get the most out of the bike's handling and steering.

The duo-lever feels remote because it doesn't dive, (much), under braking. It isolates the steering function from braking and suspension and is actually a far better system 99% of the time. You can dial in dive if you want to, (but not on the production versions), in fact, you can even dial in the front end to rise under braking by altering the lengths of the linkages.
Since going to a BMW, I've been a bit puzzled about how some (mainly journalists) have complained of a lack of "feel". I've honestly never noticed this characteristic, and I certainly have not found the Duo/Telelver front ends to be any hinderance....quite the opposite actually. I've picked up significant cornering speed since going to the RT, which I attribute to the reduced weight, and better stability, and the way the bike will hold a line.

I can understand completely the case for conventional forks made by those who compete on the track, but I tend to agree with your statement as to the 99%.

STOC #
Since going to a BMW, I've been a bit puzzled about how some (mainly journalists) have complained of a lack of "feel". I've honestly never noticed this characteristic, and I certainly have not found the Duo/Telelver front ends to be any hinderance....quite the opposite actually. I've picked up significant cornering speed since going to the RT, which I attribute to the reduced weight, and better stability, and the way the bike will hold a line.

I can understand completely the case for conventional forks made by those who compete on the track, but I tend to agree with your statement as to the 99%.
I agree completely... the telelever front end is a revelation. Next to no fork dive and the turning of the bike into a turn is like telepathy. Suspension forces are primarily on front shock, not forks and the feedback smooth. Much preferred over conventional forks. Now the Duolever are different from the Telelever on the R bikes. It does take some getting used to, but I like it as well (when I have had the opportunity to ride one).

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
My initial impression (only rode it on a winding state highway, not a back county road) was one of extra stability/non-deflected smoothness.

Bones knows I was interpreting the new "feel" as something different than he was for the brief riding period I had. He's had more Beemer test rides than I. Certainly one could perceive a decided difference over a fork setup immediately.

I was having a positive initial impression of the bike, so I suppose it "maybe" "could" have been a lack of feel, but instead I was reading it as planted-ness / stability of line at the moment. It certainly went exactly where I pointed it with ease. I felt I was able to read the few rougher portions of the road I encountered just fine. However, it being both John's bike and a short ride on one type of road, there was no sliding to try and feel for. There were also no sticks, no rocks, just a few bumps, I can't say for sure it actually wasn't lack of feel. I just don't think it was lack of feel at first exposure. Living with it could change that opinion or solidify it. I'm on solid ground to say it was noticeably different, and giving me an initial positive impression.

I would hate it if you were isolated from a sliding front wheel, feel wise. John doesn't seem to think that's the case.

John is living with it and seems to report adequate feel/feedback from the front as to road surface and traction so far.

Springtime will tell the final tale for him, with John out putting on some miles.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Springtime will tell the final tale for him, with John out putting on some miles.
Of course John will be handing off his K to us for further riding impressions, Carl...we can't let him do all the work in that regard. What are friends for?

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Interesting read, thanks everyone for their impressions. Was recently looking for some rake and trail information and came across this site:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/584/5251/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Honda-VFR1200F-MSRP.aspx

It includes the weights, rake trail, etc etc for the major sport tourers. It's good info, and the stats seem to indicate why the ST has the excellent "turn in". It's a bit more work with the others, just a bit though.

Those of you impressed with the beemer motor... consider an fjr, and look at the stats, it's lighter then the beemer, by an lb or two :)

sorry I luv my feej :)

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Of course John will be handing off his K to us for further riding impressions, Carl...we can't let him do all the work in that regard. What are friends for?
Hopefully he won't catch on that our different takes on front end feedback is just a ploy to get more seat time on his new toy so we can settle on a final decision. :p:

and came across this site:
Wow, now I see why I felt the extra stability after looking at those rake and trail numbers on the Beemer, combined with wheelbase, wow. Funny it didn't feel even the slightest bit sluggish setting into a corner though. Looking at the rake and trail, I would have guessed it a slow steering, even heavy steering bike, but it sure doesn't feel that way. Just a planted impression.

sorry I luv my feej
never rode one... hint hint, but they sure feel good on the dealer floor when I've sat on one. Too bad Texas is so far from NY ;):D

Boy the actual measured weight is closer amongst the class than I thought it would be, until you get to the ST. They didn't measure that, probably couldn't push it onto the scale... Couldn't resist, loved my ST but she was a hefty gal. :) They all could stand to be 80 lb. lighter. The ST maybe 180 lb. lighter.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Yeah that's some good info there Carl, I agree. My feej doesn't feel like it steers heavy at all either.

It *may* take a slight amount more effort then an ST, but it's hardly noticeable and I'm guessing unless you're riding tight "parade" moto cop type turning, it's not even noticeable.

And the feej is certainly stable, dirty air or no, nothing upsets it.

Hey you never know! we may both be at say The Gap some time next year ;)

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Hey you never know! we may both be at say The Gap some time next year
... could happen :D However, my Anvil... I mean my Bandit is hardly an enticement to trade off for a bit :p: Nice bike and all, but I've nicknamed it the Anvil after getting off John's :rolleyes:

Top Bottom