Brake - Help

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I recently tried to replace the rear brake pads on my 2007 ST1300. I found the pads to be too thick. I had ordered genuine Honda PT# 06435-MCS-G02. When I looked at them they seem to be thicker than the last set I had installed.
I found that with the stationary pad installed there was no room for the disc to fit in the slot.

I have measured the thickness of the pad and it is very close to 7/16" or .425"

If anyone has a new set of Honda pads on the shelf could you please measure the thickness.

Thanks in advance

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't have a new set around sorry... but, with new pads you have to compress the pistons some to allow for the newer/thicker pads to begin with and the rear OEM pads are thicker than new front or the EBC pads.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I don't have a new set around sorry... but, with new pads you have to compress the pistons some to allow for the newer/thicker pads to begin with and the rear OEM pads are thicker than new front or the EBC pads.
Thanks Joe - -It is the slot at the front of the brake that the disc won't fit through - even with the moveable pad not installed??

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Take a look at Joe's great pictures in the linked article.
Maybe that spring clip in the front of the caliper is not seated correctly or the tabs of the brake pads aren't fully forward in that pocket.

I don't have a set (need to order some) to look at but .425 Thick oa doesn't sound out of line.
As mentioned the honda rear pad is thicker than the EBC pads.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Did you take the caliper apart to clean it or something..

I did not take the caliper apart. The pistons were not to bad so I cleaned then as best I could. On picture 12 - the area circled in yellow is the area that the disc will not fit if the RH pad is in place.

Seeing that you and Carl seem positive that it will fit I will give it another try. Thanks

Byron

STOC #
Check to see if the clip got bent and not allowing the toe of the brake pad in. Usuall just sent the front lower edge on the bottom edge at the front and rotate the pad up into place.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
When I'm positive it's usually an indication that I'm wrong LOL.

The disk ya mean pad? not the rotor correct?
Assuming that clip is in there correctly you may have to push on the pads a little against that clip to get the pad pin in.

If the rotor won't allow the pad to get in there there, check that the pistons are pushed far enough back into the caliper.
Pushing the front one in move the back one out and visa versa. Push both at the same time. The center piston operates by itself.
You can push em with your fingers but it takes some effort.
Some use a block of wood and c clamp arangement to move them back into the caliper.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hi Joe - As I mentioned earlier I attacked the rear brake problem today. There was nothing I could do to get the new pads to work. I measured every possible way and there was no way they could fit. Finally with everything apart, I removed the brake disc "rotor " from the rear wheel. I installed only the non-movable brake pad and there was no room for the disc to fit through the front slot of the brake unit. I will be going to the local dealer and ask them if they have a set on hand so I can compare.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi Joe - As I mentioned earlier I attacked the rear brake problem today. There was nothing I could do to get the new pads to work. I measured every possible way and there was no way they could fit. Finally with everything apart, I removed the brake disc "rotor " from the rear wheel. I installed only the non-movable brake pad and there was no room for the disc to fit through the front slot of the brake unit. I will be going to the local dealer and ask them if they have a set on hand so I can compare.
You must not have the correct pads then. Some pictures of the caliper w/pads installed would help.

Top Bottom