Brake light modulator alternative? Just installed LED strobe bulbs...

Bike
2003 ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Only question mark for me is the California legality of them, if I get pulled over I’ll find out quickly.
This is why it's good to actually know the relevant law(s) and not take somebody's 'probably' as gospel. Those aren't legal in CA if I'm seeing correctly.

25251.1(c) CVC Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

That said I don't know how many cops know that section or could find it without knowing the appropriate VC. That looks to be more than four flashes but it goes steady on which my strobe and lot of other do not do. That I haven't been stopped (yet) doesn't mean you won't. But I wouldn't worry about it. Getting tagged for that would mean an actual overzealous cop or one using it as PC for a stop. I'd really be surprised if you got tagged for those.

PS. They look good!

edit: After official review in Super Slo-Mo and counting until I wanted to put an axe through a door - it looks like they do meet the CA standard. Again not that you'd be stopped anyway unless a cop wanted to know where you bought your bulbs. :)

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
beemerphile said:
If I'm seeing it right, the red license plate illumination might not meet code though.
True enough! It needs to be white in CA. Were it me the window in the bottom of the tail light lens would be blocked off and a short strip of white LEDs would be mounted to the bottom and wired to the tail light. There aren't any inspections in CA there's no need to swap them out unless... :law1: Officer Friendly puts your taxpaying $$ to work.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
True enough! It needs to be white in CA. Were it me the window in the bottom of the tail light lens would be blocked off and a short strip of white LEDs would be mounted to the bottom and wired to the tail light.
Using double sided adhesive instead of the supplied gasket and screws, I placed one of these onto the clear lens area on bottom of the taillight lens where the light shines onto the license plate. Powered it in parallel with the tail light. It overpowers the red sufficiently that there was no need to block the red, though it certainly could be done...

LED license plate light

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You can also replace your licensce plate bolts with new bolts that have integrated LEDs. It's what I added after placing my toolbox where the old licensce plate was. I had to move the plate further back and then provide a new light source.

They show using two on one plate but on a smaller motorcycle plate a single led works fine. I've been running this way for a few years.

Like this link here:

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
You can also replace your licensce plate bolts with new bolts that have integrated LEDs. It's what I added after placing my toolbox where the old licensce plate was. I had to move the plate further back and then provide a new light source.

They show using two on one plate but on a smaller motorcycle plate a single led works fine. I've been running this way for a few years.

Like this link here:
I really like this idea to solve the red license plate glow. :) How do you go about wiring these ( assuming zero electrical knowledge... :) ) ?

Bike
2009 ST1300
Hi -
The link goes to Amazon 7443 red LED stop Brake Flash Strobe... Light Bulbs. When I input 2009 Honda ST1300 into the upper left query, it states that "This does not fit your 2009 Honda ST1300". Are these the right bulbs?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Nobody ever said Amazon was good. Well, maybe a few people. The website says no good for my 2010 either, but St Gui, in another thread said those 7443's fit his 2010, and the OP used them in his. Sorry I cannot add my endorsement, but when I checked my log I noticed I never wrote down what lamps I put in there.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are these the right bulbs?
T_C said:
Yes, ST1300 uses 7443 bulbs.
This ^. You can confirm this in your owner's manual. If you don't have one there's one posted here. It's for a 2010 but it'll work for your 2009.

My error- the owner's manual doesn't specify the type of bulb- only the wattage. Regardless T_C is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_C

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I added these brake lights last week. They work well! The license plate light color isn't an issue for me because the Vololights I had already installed is basically a license plate backplate and has white LED lights for the plate.

Top Bottom