Brakes "WERE" dragging

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I've been through brake hell and back. I've tried all the tricks and things in the manual, as well as cleaned, lubed, replaced, etc etc etc and did many suggestions found in several threads for brake problems.

I will give "Igofar" credit for this one. Early into my escapade he said to stick with OEM pads. I had already bought new pads prescribed by the STealer as acceptable replacements. Those were "Brake Master" pads. They went on well, but after I changed them, the rear drug a little, but the front were worse. I read some posts saying a little drag was acceptable. So, during my attempts to remedy the drag, I continued to ride. Each week or two, or three, I'd try something different or in addition to what I'd previously done. I'd seen many "dragging brake" posts and kept my eyes on new ones.

What I did:

Bought a used set of calipers on ebay with the intent of rebuilding them (really only consists of replacing pistons and seals).

Bought new seals.

Rebuilt my existing calipers (used emory cloth to polish the center pistons, I don't recommend this, they wouldn't slide at all after I polished them). I had to use the center pistons from the ebay set to make my calipers workable; however, the centers still didn't slide acceptable (to me anyway).

Bled the brake system 3 times over 2 months, completely, thoroughly, and correctly.

Cleaned and recleaned the calipers and pistons.

I was about to have a steel braided setup made out of the hoses I got with the ebay set. Before I did that, I bought 2 brand new front calipers and installed them yesterday morning. With that purchase I bought brand new HONDA brand OEM brake pads for all 3 calipers. My intent was to replace the rear caliper in a few weeks with a new one too.

As said, I installed 2 brand new front calipers with a new SMC on the left one.

Then STumped (Dave) came over and we rebuilt the master cylinder (make sure and get the proper snap ring pliers if you're going to do this, it will save tons of time!).

He and I bled the whole system AGAIN, all the way through and replaced the "brake master" pads with the OEM ones and lubed the pins, etc. Before changing, or even touching the rear brakes, I showed Dave that I could get about a 3/4 of a rotation out of the tire when up on the center stand and rolling the rear with my foot. He tried the same, then check his bike. A huge difference. He could get 1 1/2 to 2 turns out of his.

We changed the rear and did the full system bleeding procedure. The rear will now turn 2 turns easily. I'm stuck on "Igofar's" suggestion, OEM PADS PEOPLE!!!

The fronts will rotate 2 times now as well. Previously they would turn a little less than the rear.

I cannot say definitively that the pads were the whole culprit since I changed so many components. I can say they were absolutely the culprit on the rear. The old SMC on the front left caliper moved in and out with a little bit of resistance. It might have been near going bad or contributing to the problem. The new SMC's plunger moved freely in and out.

My hat is off to Dave and a great big THANKS to him for his help. We diligently and meticulously went through the brake system slowly and carefully. The front still felt mushy last night. I zip tied the lever in place over night and this morning the brakes are nice and solid all the way around.

The moral of this story, if you didn't pick up on it, is to pay the extra $ and get OEM pads. I believe my problems would've been greatly reduced if I had. Of course, clean the brake pistons with "BRAKE FLUID ONLY" and lube all the pins on the calipers.

We also installed a new windscreen motor and VStream windscreen. I'm finishing up putting the tupperware back on, but the lower cowls were really faded due to miles and heat. I got some flat black paint and painted them a few minutes ago. They are drying at the moment and I'll reassemble "blurple shirley", as my buddy calls her, and take her out for a strut around the neighborhood.

I rode her to the auto parts store for the paint and a new blinker bulb, and she spins magnificently and brakes great too.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Now you've done it....I can feel a maytag repairman dry spell coming now...everyone's gonna be fixin' their own bikes :D
Glad you finally sorted your brake issues out.
Oh, and thank you for the kind words.
Igofar (or Larry, there's nothing left to check, step away from my bike!)

Bike
ST1300
I am so jealous!!!

I check the break section many times a day to see whether somebody comes up with a new cause of a break drag because I am going through a similar pain as you are describing. This weekend I am replacing the seals in the rear caliper and by then I will have all the parts exchanged.

Fingers corssed!!!

Bike
2008 ST1300
Just read your post JoeP. When I had my bike at the dealer to work on my sticking/dragging rear brake they decided that the EBC pads they put on were causing the problem. But I can't really be sure because they replaced every other part of the system before putting on OEM pads. Then I went to another dealer and he says to stick with the Honda pads because he ran into trouble using aftermarket pads before.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just read your post JoeP. When I had my bike at the dealer to work on my sticking/dragging rear brake they decided that the EBC pads they put on were causing the problem. But I can't really be sure because they replaced every other part of the system before putting on OEM pads. Then I went to another dealer and he says to stick with the Honda pads because he ran into trouble using aftermarket pads before.
Aftermarket brake pads on the front can cause the rear brakes to drag too.
Alot of people can feel them scraping and think its just "bedding in" when in fact, it's causing the SMC to activate and dragging the rear brakes.
On these bikes, I find OEM pads to work better (cause less problems) than EBC or other aftermarket pads. .02

Bike
ST 1300
I jusr ordered pads from my local store (not a honda store) Because of this forum I told him only OEM pads. I had searched all over the internet for a good price on the pads and he still beat them all. All three sets for 119. He is putting them on next week.

Bike
ST1300
I am not sure that the number of rotations is a good measure of the break system working properly. Sometimes I get 3 rotations and sometimes I get hardly one. Yet the disc is super hot either time. Which means I havent probably fixed my problem. I am watching the pads closely to see how long they last.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I am not sure that the number of rotations is a good measure of the break system working properly. Sometimes I get 3 rotations and sometimes I get hardly one. Yet the disc is super hot either time. Which means I havent probably fixed my problem. I am watching the pads closely to see how long they last.
More importantly, watch to see if the pads are wearing level or wedge shaped.
Take your focus off the rear calipers and rotors for a while, and go up front and remove and clean the front rotors, making sure to check the pistons and seals.
I'm still thinking your problem is the front calipers activating the smc, sending the symptons to the rear wheel.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is not at all unusual for pads to wear asymmetrically in sliding pin calipers. Normal wear will not be the same on opposed pads.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It is not at all unusual for pads to wear asymmetrically in sliding pin calipers. Normal wear will not be the same on opposed pads.
Agreed. As far as the inside/outside pad goes, one may have worn down more than the other. However, I was referring to when one of the pads wears at a sharp angle, such as a wooden doorstop. This would indicated that a piston or piston(s) were not moving correctly.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Unless to the extreme, that is what I meant. It is not unusual for the one pad to wear faster on its leading edge and it's mate to wear more on its trailing edge. This is normal unless to extreme which might be more than 1 or 2 mm.

Bike
ST1300
Igofar,

the OEM pads on the left side front caliper (SMC) show the least wear. Almost none after 2000 miles from new. Pads on the right side are worn a little more. My right front disc gets hot and my rear disc gets hot. The SMC does not get activated because of the left caliper drag for sure.

I think it is something else somewhere else.

Whats funny is that sometines it is ok and sometimes it drags. More so after using the rear break pedal.

More importantly, watch to see if the pads are wearing level or wedge shaped.
Take your focus off the rear calipers and rotors for a while, and go up front and remove and clean the front rotors, making sure to check the pistons and seals.
I'm still thinking your problem is the front calipers activating the smc, sending the symptons to the rear wheel.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Igofar,

the OEM pads on the left side front caliper (SMC) show the least wear. Almost none after 2000 miles from new. Pads on the right side are worn a little more. My right front disc gets hot and my rear disc gets hot. The SMC does not get activated because of the left caliper drag for sure.

I think it is something else somewhere else.

Whats funny is that sometines it is ok and sometimes it drags. More so after using the rear break pedal.

You've got me scratching my head! Just thinking out loud here, but if the left side pads are not wearing as much as the right side, or the rear pads, wouldn't that indicate that the pistons on the left side are not working and applying pressure to the pads? Just a guess. Have you removed the pistons and seals in both front calipers to clean them completely?
Dang...I wish I could have your bike for a week to try and sort this out :D

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hey Milo, just wondering if you've checked the delay valve yet? Perhaps that might have something to do with it?
Just guessing at this point, as I'm sure you are by now.

Bike
ST1300
Yep. I have a brand new. That was the third new item that went in. First the PCV, then SMC, then Delay valve :)

Hey Milo, just wondering if you've checked the delay valve yet? Perhaps that might have something to do with it?
Just guessing at this point, as I'm sure you are by now.

Bike
ST1300
All front pistons go in very veray easily...

You've got me scratching my head! Just thinking out loud here, but if the left side pads are not wearing as much as the right side, or the rear pads, wouldn't that indicate that the pistons on the left side are not working and applying pressure to the pads? Just a guess. Have you removed the pistons and seals in both front calipers to clean them completely?
Dang...I wish I could have your bike for a week to try and sort this out :D

Top Bottom