Bridgestone introducing new sport touring tire BT023R

Has anyone tried the rear GT version of this tire with a stock front size? the 180/55ZR17 is 1cm wider and about 7mm shorter than stock, so it will fit the bike ok.
Thanks
Joe

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
6,300 miles to wear bar. no 2 up touring. I won't be buying this tire again.
Was that just for the rear? how is your front doing?

I just got a 23 on the back. Front 23 is now at ~2k. Price is just about the same as the 20's but if they don't wear as well I would probably either try a set of 20's next or F23/R20 combo.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
Ah yup I forgot you had the Exedra. I have not tried those either.

Seems like if the 23 is giving the same life as the 21, then BS has another lame duck. F-Exedra/R-20, or F20/R20 seem to give much better bang for the buck.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
I think that is why the combo uses the BT020 in the rear. Exedra in the front. Supposed to provide up to twice the life the 23's for a lower price.

I have about 2000 miles on the Battlax 023R and have noticed a strange line just left of center that runs the circumfrence of the tire. The line is on both front and rear tires. Has anyone else seen this? Is it a concern?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Yep, that line is there. Figure it's just part of the manufacturing process. The different compounds of the rear sure are obvious.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm a PR2 guy. Have been for my last three sets. Easily get 12k miles a set on them. Called to order PR2's today to get put on next week in Colorado. Guess what? No PR2's available right now! I've got to make my order by Friday. I hope our tire guru can make a set appear out of thin air by then? If not, I really don't know what I want after reading this thread. Maybe I'll try the 023's, but then I think I'd be better off just getting the 020F's?

I am having the BT-023's put on as I type this as I could not find any PR11's to replace my current set, In time to leave on a trip through the Smokeys and N.Georgia. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,500 miles on the PR11 and there is not another 3.000 mi left on them, thats for sure. I have no idea how one gets 12,000 miles out of any tire on the 1300 I haven't come close. I never really felt all that comfortable with the PR11's from the minute I left the dealer with them on I thought I was going to dump the bike, they were that slippery(mold release??) and scared the crap out of me, by the time I got to Colorado (950mi) they came into their own. Every once in awhile however when they are leaned over I will get a touch of bike slide so have never really fallen in love with them. Then there is the noise. I have this feeling however, I will be revisiting the PR11 again. I will however have a definate opnion on the BT-23's on the comeback and will report.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have 5,000 miles on the BT 023's, I like them fine but I have never had a rear tire cup before. The rear 023 is cupped enough that I am going to replace.

Swing arm bushings are good, wheel bearings good, tire pressures kept at 42 psi, rear shock is good but I am sending it in to Race Tech for valving.

Never had a rear tire cup and I just can't put my finger on why this is happening.

I'll be going with pilot roads next time, see how they do.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have 5,000 miles on the BT 023's, I like them fine but I have never had a rear tire cup before. The rear 023 is cupped enough that I am going to replace.

Swing arm bushings are good, wheel bearings good, tire pressures kept at 42 psi, rear shock is good but I am sending it in to Race Tech for valving.

Never had a rear tire cup and I just can't put my finger on why this is happening.

They'll cup too... funny, I've never had a tire that hasn't cupped... Being in TX... I use more of the center than the sides.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!

Cupping is a normal occurance

It will be more evident on some tires compared to others. It will also be more bothersome as far as noise on some tires compared to others.

Ray

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Hmmmm< interesting reading and I suppose accurate as the 023 must have a softer compound on the outer edge. I have noticed a brisk ride in the twistes will ball up the outer edges of the 023, almost as much as the soft compound tires I have on the Ducati.

I like the 023 and hope they come out with the 023 GT for the ST as the ST is a pretty heavy bike....especially with me on board.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I have 9k on my 023's. They have some cupping, but they are wearing well. I have a few more thousand left. I think they handle better then the PR2. I will put another set of 023's on when the time comes which will be soon.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
Hmmmm< interesting reading and I suppose accurate as the 023 must have a softer compound on the outer edge. I have noticed a brisk ride in the twistes will ball up the outer edges of the 023, almost as much as the soft compound tires I have on the Ducati.

I like the 023 and hope they come out with the 023 GT for the ST as the ST is a pretty heavy bike....especially with me on board.
I just asked Bridgestone about a GT spec for the ST:

Hey Bill,

I?ve heard there may be a GT spec for the ST1300 being worked on. Originally we were told that the sizes for the ST were basically designed for that bike and were more durable than the older OE BT020?s. Seems like they are but not by a large margin. I think the ride comfort may suffer a bit with a GT spec but mileage should be better.

Anyway? Keep an eye out, it will be next spring probably before a GT spec would be available.

Regards,

Kevin Hunley

Customer Service/PDIC Manager

Motorcycle/Kart Products

US & Canada Consumer Tire Sales Division

Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations

535 Marriott Drive

Nashville, TN 37214

Phone (615) 937-3334

Fax (615) 937-3431

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Thanks Ray for the cupping link - useful.

And Bill for the 023GT spec info. That throw away comment about ride comfort was odd, though - or was it????????????:confused:

Bike
2008 ST1300A
Thanks Ray for the cupping link - useful.

And Bill for the 023GT spec info. That throw away comment about ride comfort was odd, though - or was it????????????:confused:
Hey Pat,

He must mean the GT will have a thicker sidewall and cause a less-compliant ride over bumps. I just went from my second BT020F to a PR2. I can definately tell the PR2 has a softer sidewall and the ride is better over bumps. Im hoping to get better mileage on the PR2....I got 5700 miles off the OEM BT020F and 5000 off the second.....That aint going to cut it.
Personally, Id deal with a less compliant ride (and adjust suspention) to get more miles out of a rear tire....But so far Im loving the PR2 rear!!!:bow1:

Bike
04 ST1300
If the weight rating on the 023s is equal to or greater than those for the 020s, and the speed rating is equivalent, we should be OK, right?
I have just ordered for 2 new tires, BT 020F for rear and Metzeler Roadtec Z6 for front, i dont do much miles so tire milage is not an immedeat issue. I bought my 05 with reasonable thread life remaining especially the front and im planning for a 2000mile trip. Should i change both tires before the trip,and how do you think the above tire combination will perform?

Top Bottom