Bridgestone introducing new sport touring tire BT023R

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Remember they (Bridgestone) said the 021's would give better mileage than the 020's.
There was never a beefed-up version of the 021 that was the equivalent of the 020F. A few people have mounted 020Us (the generic, non-1300-specific model) and got similarly poor wear.

--Mark
Posted via Mobile Device

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Re: BT021 -> BT023

Yep...already been covered in a couple of other threads. Some of us (including myself) currently have them installed.

Well, I've just spooned one on the rear of my 2007.....the 170/60ZR17 was a real bear on my trusty Harbor Freight..... had to squeeze the already inserted beads together with big C-clamps to get enough stretch....... Will do the front in the morning. Couldn't resist a fifty mile scuff in, but...since I still have a weary PR2 in front, and since I didn't exceed 55 mph, I don't have much to report. Feel okay so far....... (sez the man passing the 25th floor after falling off the Empire State building)....

Attachments

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Just installed these on my '95 ST11 as well..... in std sizes. My installer has the "no mar" tire machine and while the front went on fairly easy, the rear took a little more effort... these tires are STIFF! They balanced out just fine with just a few stick-on wts. My first ride downt the street felt "twitchy" but today on my first real ride/commute in to work, they're just fine and feel good (old tires were Metz Z6 with 10K miles on them, both well worn and slightly cupped). So far so good. Also found that with the front wheel off, my steering head bearings are noticeably worn with a pronounced notchiness in the straight-ahead position. No surprise there as they are original I"m sure.
Mr. BR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Any updates on the 023?? I'm disappointed to see I'll need 2 rears this season. This 020 is going faster than the last. Both OEM.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Well, I've just spooned one on the rear of my 2007.....the 170/60ZR17 was a real bear on my trusty Harbor Freight..... had to squeeze the already inserted beads together with big C-clamps to get enough stretch....... Will do the front in the morning. Couldn't resist a fifty mile scuff in, but...since I still have a weary PR2 in front, and since I didn't exceed 55 mph, I don't have much to report. Feel okay so far....... (sez the man passing the 25th floor after falling off the Empire State building)....
I use to get upset at the kids for using the dinning room table for 4-H projects, this is a new one. My wife would kill me. :smile:

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, my test is done. Today I had the BT 023s removed. The rear tire was down to the wear bars on the left of center. The right side had about 1/32" to wear bars. The mileage was 5721. Handling and tire feel were good right up until today - I rode a spirited ride of 300+ miles last Saturday. Pressure was kept to 42 psi F/R, no less than 40 but I tried very hard to keep them at 42 for the test. All mileage was solo with less than 60 lbs cargo. Sorry I did not get any pictures but it was getting on twilight when I headed to the shop and I was in a hurry to get there.

I was disappointed the rear tire did not go longer but to be fair I was harder on them than I had been probably on any tires I paid for. Given a little less caning and more temporate throttle and brake inputs they would probably gone 6500 miles maybe 7000 and that is about the average I have gotten with all brands and tires to this point. The front had 3/32" tread left. Both tires wore very evenly with little cupping or flat spotting. Both were removed for shipping back to Bridgestone. If it was me I would have bought another rear and kept going but BS wanted them both back.

I would buy another set and recommend them highly to this forum if handling and grip are important.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Let me get this straight less than 6K on the rear , solo rider , even loaded for bike camping trips the total load was less than I weigh with full gear , Dave we really need to get you to test these things with real world weight on the bike, somewhere in the 450-500# area !!!

I really feel fat now Dave and travel gear weigh less than me alone ready to ride , Dave's review is great for the smaller guys but big boys 2-up loaded the rear is not stiff enough and I got 5K of complaints , can't wait to get a 020 back on the rear !!

Thanks Dave for the real world reveiw .

Gene

STOC #
As to mileage my rear looks great down the center but the sides are about shot and cupped real bad ,hauling around 400-450# on a regular basis is real hard on the soft 023 side compound.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Interesting you got so little mileage, compared to the 020. I only have about 1500 miles on my 23, and as of this moment I like the 020s better.
I replaced the OEM 020's at 6,104 miles. I keep good records. The front 021 cupped badly on me and was twitchy on grooved roads. I never considered replacing them with another set. Once I had to buy one on the road but I was able to sell it later and recoup some of the price.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Let me get this straight less than 6K on the rear , solo rider , even loaded for bike camping trips the total load was less than I weigh with full gear , Dave we really need to get you to test these things with real world weight on the bike, somewhere in the 450-500# area !!!

I really feel fat now Dave and travel gear weigh less than me alone ready to ride , Dave's review is great for the smaller guys but big boys 2-up loaded the rear is not stiff enough and I got 5K of complaints , can't wait to get a 020 back on the rear !!

Thanks Dave for the real world reveiw .
Gene,

What can I say? I have small jeans, err... genes. Given that I have never gotten more than 7200 miles out of a rear tire and I have tried most all of them, 5700 on these the way I rode them is about what I would get out of others I ran. The front had a long way to go yet.

Avon AV55/AV56 Storm tires are probably my favorite tire and they are all soft and flexy in the sidewall so I think it is all in the rubber compounds tire makers use. Grip and compliance come at a cost in durability. I had a pair of Pilot Road 2s with 3100 miles on them so they went back on. Maybe these will give me the 9-11K that others report out of sporty PR2 use. The annoying "buzz" vibration they seemed to have while braking at less than 20 mph is back so I know it is the PRs making it.

Gene

STOC #
Go for it Dean they are a good tire just not for 2-up riding on thw 1300 in my opinion

Top Bottom