Bridgestone introducing new sport touring tire BT023R

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
Got my BT 023's from 2Brothers on Thursday. Put the rear on Friday and the front this morning (Sat.) All with only the Harbor Freight changer. Wanted a Mojo bar, but couldn't swing it. Patience & perseverance paid off. Total weight = 1/2 oz. on the rear 0 on the front. Will go over La Veta pass tomorrow to gently wear 'em in.

Rod:dr13:

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
I wonder since Bridgestone already has a heavywieght sport tire built for the ST in the BT-020F it makes sence to me not to make another one in the new 023 design only so many rear wheels why produce to bike specific tires ??? Both the 020F and GT-023 rear are a 73 rated tire so they are the same wieght rated only one has a dual compound ?? Just my hillbilly thinking mind you !

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wonder since Bridgestone already has a heavywieght sport tire built for the ST in the BT-020F it makes sence to me not to make another one in the new 023 design only so many rear wheels why produce to bike specific tires ??? Both the 020F and GT-023 rear are a 73 rated tire so they are the same wieght rated only one has a dual compound ?? Just my hillbilly thinking mind you !
The 020F is a load index 72W and the St1300 size in the 023 is a 72W and isn't a GT spec. The 73W GT spec tires are not in our size.

Gene

STOC #
Don't know why I thought the 020 was a 73w but it is a heavy reinforced model specific tire maybe this time the orginal is best for loaded riding ? We did anther 200 miles today 2-up and the fast transitions into a good lean are almost unnerving the rear seems to slip for just a split second as the tire changes from the hard to soft compound ? I did 2500 miles on this tire 2 weeks ago during the Not superman rally solo and it behaved very well with none of the shortcoming it has when 2-up so I guess as a solo tire I like it but 2-up it scares me real good when you start to push it hard !

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I dunno Gene. I enjoyed every rotation of the 023s but as you know I ride solo.

Well, I have two new 023s sitting in the back room, waiting to be mounted. But now this talk about the 023 being a solo only tire makes me nervous, since my GF loves to ride with me.
Who carries 020s? I had good luck with the originals that came on the bike, so I am thinking about going back to them.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, I have two new 023s sitting in the back room, waiting to be mounted. But now this talk about the 023 being a solo only tire makes me nervous, since my GF loves to ride with me.
Who carries 020s? I had good luck with the originals that came on the bike, so I am thinking about going back to them.
I just ordered some 020s from Two Brothers last week. I looked back at all my tire mileage and I don't get much more than 8k out of any of them and I think the 020 is going to be better pulling the unigo so I'm giving them another shot.

They are cheaper too.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not necessarily, I got my 23s from a local source (TFOG) for cheaper than TwoBrothers quoted me the 20.
Ah.. sorry, just to clarify, I meant that the 020s are cheaper than the PR2s, Avons, 023s.

I have set of two 023s sitting on the floor that I got from Cycle Gear last month on their intro sale. They cost just about what a set of 020s cost. So, I think I will use them since I have them. But I think I am going back to the 020s at the next tire change. Cheaper and seem to last longer.
My original 020s got me the best milage of all my tires, but then I think I am riding more agressively now, then I was when I first got the bike. That maybe be making a difference.
My ST1300 was my first bike in 20 years.:D

Gene

STOC #
Ok here are afew pictures of my 023 rear after about 3800 miles with 2k being done solo at the Not Superman Rally in Mo. Ihope you can see the transition area between the two compounds the tire just kinda drops off a 1/8inch where there the two compounds meets it is also cupped real bad and the sides are almost to the wear bars but the center is like new , so my final opinion is the soft side compound is just to soft for a aggressive 2up loaded ST !!!

Attachments

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Gene, did you increase the pressures when loaded 2-up? I'm always confused by car pressures being higher for loads but the ST remaining at 42psi??? Only, your tyre looks to have been running low - or is your conclusion pretty much fair, do you think?

Also, aggressive 2-up is just sports touring. I expect heavy weight sports touring tyres to cope. I'm not liking much of what I'm Reading on the 023 vs. 020 debate (I'm with RP2s).

Is ST-owners consigning them to the trash can?

Gene

STOC #
I always run and check the rear tire to maintain 43# , now the front on the other hand looks like it just got put on .

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Gene, your photos look like the old B021 issue where the side compound was too soft compared to the middle. I would bump up the pressure to 44, but I'm thinking the PR2 is more appropriate for two up. For the FJR, they make a B version (like the 023's GT version), with an extra sidewall ply which will keep the heat down. I don't understand why there isn't such a thing for the ST, it being 90 lbs. heavier............

I just got back from an FJR rally where a number were running 2-up and the PR2 seems to be the tire of choice.... now that the B version is out, I'm sure they'll go for that next time. I just put a new PR2 on the back before the trip, and I like it so far.

Gene

STOC #
Ray I tried a set of 021's and this rear as I remember didn't cup and wear the sides like this one does , I think the front 023 and a 020 rear will be a great 2up setup since the front looks like new and seems to handle a lot lide the Z6's I had been running .

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Rider has a feature on Bridgestone in the August issue, including a sidebar (page 54) about the new BT023. FWIW.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Ray I tried a set of 021's and this rear as I remember didn't cup and wear the sides like this one does , I think the front 023 and a 020 rear will be a great 2up setup since the front looks like new and seems to handle a lot lide the Z6's I had been running .
020 is a good choice for a rear too. Z6's are great on the FJR. I thought the rear could stand to last longer, therefore I'm giving the PR2 a tryout.

Zip Silver

ZipSilver
Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I just got back from the shop after having a new front and rear tire replacement in the new O23 model. My front had a few more miles left in it, and the rear was driven beyond it's life. It is definitely a different feel from the OEM O20's. They didn't have them available so i opted for the new O23 reluctantly after already reading the reviews. With very little input it would generate a significant lean angle initiating a turn. Once I get used to it it may make spirited riding more responsive. For now it is a bit startingly flickable. I am not sure this tire will last long. By the time I drove 12 miles home the tire was hot and gummy. (TampaBay,FL) There are 3 rows of compound from what i understand. The hard long wearing middle. The softer side and the really soft edge of the tire for extreme grip at extreme lean angle. I only got into the 2nd row and when I got home and touched the tire at the leading edge of the grooves, it was mushy soft and rubber stuck to my finger. Jury is out on this tire for me. Most of my riding is two up touring. I like the corners but play it pretty conservative with my wife on the back. I am not sure that this is the right tire for that type of riding. I paid $123 rear, $107 ront plus 35 a piece for mount and balance.

Bike
St 1300a 2007
I put BT 21's on in the spring, I have 8500kms on the front tire, About 5000 miles. I am going to FLA in two weeks for a course at Jacksonville, I am thinking I'm going to replace the front tire before I go. The back is fine, it has about 4000 Miles on it. I cant believe the front tire is worn out so bad, ( More on the sides) I am a hard front brake user (simply because its the only way to slow down) I Know linked brake system, equal braking ect, this ought to generate some passionate replies lol! If you train yourself to front brake most of the time, when u hard brake in avoidance your brain will tell u to front brake if u panic, long before u think about it. Train ur brain it will save u. Anyhow back on topic. Very disappointed with BT 21, so I think Im going to put on the BT 23 to try it, unfortunately the BT 23 GT is not available in the ST size. So in the end it will be two front tires to the one back tire replacement ratio!

Top Bottom