Brit girl pans VFR-1200

Motogeezer

Team Colorado
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I am no fan of the new Honda VFR-1200 body image, but its advanced engine/tranny combo has got to be worth a lot more praise than this catty, emasculating snipe:

"We knew the 1237cc engine would be a traditional touring V4 lump, packing 173bhp into 10,000rpm... But it lacks punch."

So here's the whole SUN article - all 10 paragraphs of it if you're interested.

'Geezer

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
The new Cycle World article is pretty enthusiastic. One of the writers expects it to be the 'international MC of the year' next year, it isn't eligible this year....

Oh. No pictures of George falling down while looking the new bike over:)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Her only real negative was the lack of fuel capacity (on which I agree.) Otherwise, damned with faint praise, as they say. She sounds mostly disappointed that she wasn't more impressed.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fairly reminiscent of some reviews of the ST1100 when it first came out ... 'No Personality', etc. and that's exactly why I bought one, ... then another, ... then another ... :D. More than one reviewer has mentioned that the seat seems to be better than most. I reckon I'll find out for myself in about 100 days!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
To each their own I guess. For the target market, I think the bike will be a success but I tend to agree with her comment about the short fuel range and the lack of gadgets. On the latter I would be less concerned if it weren't for the premium price point Honda thinks they will get. I predict rather heavy discounting and if you want one, don't be an early adopter.

I don't understand her statement that the bike lacks punch :confused: Maybe she never really got on it? From personal experience I know it's got enough punch to spin up the 190 section rear tire surprisingly effortlessly.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The VFR1200 looks like a serious rival for BMW's K1300S, Kawasaki's ZZR1400 and Suzuki's Hayabusa.

I'm just not convinced it behaves like one.
I think she kind of overshot with her expectations, because all three of those comparisons are in the wrong league. The K-S, Zizzer and 'Busa are all big-displacement sport bikes. Try the K1300GT and maybe the Conk for a better comparison. Suzuki doesn't seem to make anything in that class.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think she kind of overshot with her expectations, because all three of those comparisons are in the wrong league. The K-S, Zizzer and 'Busa are all big-displacement sport bikes. Try the K1300GT and maybe the Conk for a better comparison. Suzuki doesn't seem to make anything in that class.
--Mark
I've noticed many motorcycle reviewers get into the habit of classifying a motorcycle (sport, sporttouring, cruiser, dual sport, etc), and then judge a motorcycle by how well it fits into its class. Meanwhile those of us who just ride tend to see a motorcycle for what it has and does.

STOC #
???
Funny thing is that her biggest complaint is that it doesn't meet "her" expectations. At the risk of sounding sexist, that does not surprise me. :)
Well, you did see where she said, "I expected the instrument display to hoard more information than Google and that I would be dazzled by gizmo splendour." That says to me that she is attracted by bright, shiny objects...

KZ

Bike
2005 ST1300
to me this VFR IS a sportbike in its presentation and not a sport touring bike...

BUT sport touring is a verb and not a noun, throw bags on a sport bike and go touring...well now you are sport-touring...:D

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I don't really understand why the motocycle mag. folks don't like the V4 motors? I think they are great. Around here we say "only got 32k miles on it" expecting to turn it over 200k miles. Many other cycles are pretty well shot at 50k.
I'm with Phil. I bought a ST because those folks thought it was boring.
That's reliable to you and me. :)

Hi
I must admit I have no real desire for a new VFR1200 as Honda seem to have missed the point, They have created a bike that could have been a great sports bike or could have been a great tourer. It turns out to be neither.(a great sports tourer) The middle ground it occupies (for me at least) requires a tank range of 200mls+ and this is why I wouldn`t consider one at all. Maybe all the other elements are there and if the big H will listen and quickly enlarge the fuel capacity It may be a great bike for more people.In defence of Honda, the comments that bug me are those regarding the bike not meeting expectations, ie not a great leap forward. In this marketplace we have many good if not great bikes,These are the best offerings from the worlds best manufacturers,give Honda a break, they can`t re-invent the wheel.Further more, everyone is tied down by increasing legislation on emmisions etc. This is making it even harder for manufacturers to even meet the last generations performance levels never mind make the leap forward everyone seems to expect! Having said all this I personnally believe that Honda are listening too much to marketing/design people and less to engineers of late. I do hope this will change and we will all benefit in the long run.
Ed.:D

I'd reserve judgement until I had a chance to ride a DCT VFR with the optional luggage across Wet Virginny, down the BRP, through Deals Gap, over the Cherohala Skyway and come home some interesting route. Id' write an honest review. Kind of unlikely that Honda'd loan me one to give that a try.

Seems to me that the VFR falls into the Gentlemen's Express class as I think does the K1300S and some other bikes. Not about being the fastest or having the highest cornering speed but the fun you have riding and how you feel when you arrive at your destination. My take on this type of bike is that if you focus solely on how it stacks up to other bikes number wise then it will come out on the short end.

Edit - does need to be able to top 200 miles on a tank during spirited riding. That is a number I'd have to have on any primary bike. Too many other superb fun short range bikes to chose from.

Last edited:
Seems youv`e hit the nail on the head there. Thats the kind of trip and the reasons why this type of bike should exist (fuel range aside).Modern motorcycle have abilities way beyond those of the average owner and its only when we begin to explore them that we realise how good they really are.
Ed.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
he he .... now that's funny !

I still say the new Viffer is aimed not at us .... but at the CBR crowd.
I always wondered.
It seems that the VFR -the VFR1200 included- is too tame and reasonable for the sport bike guys, too sport bikish for the sport-touring guys.
It's one of those great bikes that falls inbetween two big target groups, not really satisfying either. Is it a niche bike due to its nature?

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
That new VFR 1200 engine is anything but tame. :confused:
Have you read the specs on performance? 1/4 mile times?
I agree, it has enough power to make me soil my undies in 7 different colors, but I get the impression it is not the insane adrenalin soaked kick-in-the-pants character that sporties expect.
Come to think of it, that's the same argument I read about the CBR1000-RR, that it was too smooth, too perfect, "no character" (as in: does too little wrong). :rolleyes: So never mind, I'm talking as little sense as the reviewers, only in a different direction.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The "lacking punch" line has been fairly consistent in limited use reviews we have seen so far. It seems to be defined to me as the engine's power band is so broad and flat it does not have a kick or rush to redline in the upper ranges of the tach. No one says it is down on power just the personality of the engine is lacking a dramatic rush of top end power that the bike's specs suggest may be awaiting the rider. While the ST1300 is 50 hp down on the VFR contemporary reviews of it also contained similar phrases when compared to the FJR or K1200GT. The V4 torque curve is consistent with rapid progress without having to wring it's neck. Short shift and ride that torque wave baby!

I don't know exactly what issue it appeared in but Rider's Clement Salvadori wrote several years ago that in this age of horsepower increases he was a 100 hp guy. With 100 hp he could make a mistake now and then in a corner and get away with it, the bike would most likely not spit him off, and 100 hp was still enough to go very very fast in a short period of time or tote him and a passenger anywhere he needed to go. Maybe that is why he hangs onto his ST1100 as one of his personal rides. In the age coming now of traction control maybe 100 hp guys like me and Salvadori want traction control with 150 or even 180 hp because we can then make a mistakes all the time in corner exits and get away with it. Still, down inside I know 100 hp is plenty for my skills although I want the VFR's 170+ claimed horsepower. I would like to think that Honda builds a ST1300 replacement off the VFR platform in a couple of years and I will be able to get one a few years down the road. This one [VFR1200F] isn't the replacement for my ST1300.

Top Bottom